• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

BSOD reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
So it happened today to me, and maybe it will happen to you tomorrow, so I just want to make you all aware of the fact that the newest nvidia driver (340.52) may cause your computer to BSOD, and be unable to boot(BSOD when loading windows on the "Starting Windows" screen) your system.

This is fixable by going into safe mode and uninstalling your graphics driver through the Device Manager, and then installing the old one, which you can download from official website(I suggest the one that has WHQL not beta driver) and wait for nvidia to release new one.

Notice: I personally was getting BSOD with the error: STOP 0x0000007f (0x00000008, ..., ..., ...).

Why am I posting this? Well it took me and my father a solid 2 hours to find out it was actually graphics driver that was crashing and not everyone may be experienced in this regard(reading the crash dump file etc)

Level 23
the driver is very weird, and its not just me, if you google "nvidia 340.52 driver crash/bsod" you will see a lot of people have trouble with it. I didnt have problem with the driver myself until today, when it just fucked up and I had to forcefuly downgrade. The notebook Im using right now has it installed and has no problems for instance

Level 15
From my experience, never update to latest nvidia drivers, always read about the more stable versions and use those. Its a common thing with nvidia, because they push the optimizations too far usually.

And maybe not bsod reminder but PSA about the drivers.

Level 13
Weird, I used to have more problems with ATI drivers back when I used their cards. After I switched to nvidia, the only problem I've had was an installation which wouldn't finish, which I fixed by just restarting.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
From my experience, never update to latest nvidia drivers, always read about the more stable versions and use those. Its a common thing with nvidia, because they push the optimizations too far usually.
Some of us actually want to play Diablo III, which is having considerable performance issues on modern NVidia cards (single digit frame rate in new sewer area). This is a confirmed driver issue since AMD users do not suffer this problem and there is no way my NVidia GTX 760 is too slow.

Well actually people believe the problem is just that, that the cards are too slow. For some reason the driver decides that it is not necessary that they run at full clock speed so instead they are bottlenecking at a low clock speed giving performance at times that is similar to a very slow graphic accelerator. The NVidia GTX 760 is a pretty monstrous card so should have no problem what so ever running Diablo III maxed.

Anyway I am using that driver version and had 0 BSoDs so far. What graphic card does your system (the one that had BSoD) have?

Level 23
nvidia 760 gtx, manufactured by MSI. and yes I had this driver for over week now and havent got any problems with it, and my notebook which has nvidia gtx 730m and it has the new driver too and has no problems. But Im apparently not the only one that has problem with the newest driver, simple google search pops a lot of problems with the driver

Status
Not open for further replies.