• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Unable to Install XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
So I'm building a Frankenstein machine from old parts (aka, Turd Ferguson II) and I got it working, but Windows XP refuses to install. I had a hell of a time getting the computer to boot to the CD in the first place, and when I finally figured out the awful BIOS I got it working, but then the XP installer starts loading shit and halfway through gives me a BSoD.

No idea what to do. One thing I just thought of now, was to install the HDD in my computer and format it. Would that even work? Or get a different CD. Anyone want to send me a windows 7 key? :p

Level 34
Perhaps the RAM of your old machine is too low for XP.
OT: XP is not supported anymore by Microsoft...
It's got like 4gb ddr2 I think.
I know.

This is the Hive, not a piracy website. Don't ask these types of questions here. If you really want to get it, use your search engine or purchase Windows 7.
A) It was a joke, hence the ":p"
B) I didn't ask about piracy, I asked if someone had a key to send me.
C) Do you seriously think I have been here since 2006 and posted 8000 times and I was unaware of this? Really?

Last edited:
Level 22
Do you have a SATA HDD?

If the above applies and you need to slipstream the SATA driver to your installer, get nlite here. I also used Imgburn to burn the data, the settings I used were from this post(There's a guide to slipstreaming there too without using nlite). Good luck.

This is the Hive, not a piracy website.
Don't ask these types of questions here.
If you really want to get it, use your
search engine or purchase Windows 7.
->
EcIarQO.jpg
O Domine, miserere
O Domine, miserere,
Iesu Christe, miserere,

Level 34
Because I have an old copy of XP lying around, and this computer is simply so friends can use it when they come over.

Level 22
But you don't get security updates for XP any more, so if it's connected to the internet it's a bad idea. It would still be nice to be able to install it of cause :)

I'm on XP, no security problems so far.

Level 34
My Dad actually has two PCs at his desk. One connected to the internet and one offline. Can't get hacked now bitches! lol

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
XP was not that insecure. It had a lot of the modern security features we use. It certainly was infinitely better than Windows 98/NT as far as security.

The problem with XP is just that it is old. It works but it does not work well. You could install XP on a high end modern system and it will feel like it performs like a computer from early 2000 just because XP cannot use all the power fully.

Vista, despite its bad rep, improved upon the kernel allowing it to scale better with hardware. The desktop gets hardware accelerated more efficiently meaning that simple actions like moving windows around feels more responsive. It also built in updates so you do not have to navigate IE to get them. It also changed the OS to support multi threading so that lock stalls were less likely to occur when making OS system calls. The scheduler was also improved to better distribute processes and threads for more optimum CPU usage. The OS also takes advantage of more memory to further improve the apparent performance. That said Vista did not do well, however Windows 7 kept all these changes and optimized them further which is why it is currently the go to Windows OS.

What version of XP are you trying to install? it is possible that even "old" hardware might be too modern for the original release of XP as the OS itself is well over a decade old. Try installing from a SP3 disc.

Level 34
What version of XP are you trying to install? it is possible that even "old" hardware might be too modern for the original release of XP as the OS itself is well over a decade old. Try installing from a SP3 disc.
I bought it in 2009 I think.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I bought it in 2009 I think
Does the motherboard technical specifications state that it supports XP? It might be too modern for the OS and need patches to work around.

Try installing it from another computer. It should at least boot even if the hardware does not match. Do note that you will need to authenticate it again due to the huge change in hardware however that should not be an issue. If it does not boot then your hardware might not be XP compatible (possible with both new and very old hardware).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You should be able to download the full version of Windows 7 from Microsoft somewhere. This is generally used for recovery and reinstall discs as often computers come without them. This could at least allow you to test if you can install it even if you do not have a licence for it (could save you money if it turns out to be a hardware issue).

You could also try cloning the OS from one of your existing computers onto its hard disk. This would allow you to test the hardware with a "known to work" OS install.

To test the hardware you could also try temporarily installing Linux. Linux should work on such a system. If it does not you know that it must be a hardware issue.

Level 34
I have a windows 7 disc. It works fine, I just figured I'd save a few bucks and use my XP key on this machine since it's just for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.