• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BIOS and Operating systems trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Hey there.
Some days ago I discovered that my computer's BIOS and my brother's laptop BIOS are both messed up. Mine is fucked up and my brother's lacking some vital functions and can't identify the battery.
I've been suggested too ... blah blah blah ... blah.
But now I have a bigger problem.
Trying to fix his laptop... I fucked it up.
I wanted to install a Vista Ultimate but i didn't have enough space, so I told my brother to delete everything except the windows files. Of course, he deleted everything possible.
Now, the Windows (Windows 7, more precisely) doesn't start!
I tried to repair it, but it does not work!
I know how to replace the current operating system, with a bootable CD/DVD.
Here's the difficult: I no longer have my Windows' CDs/DVDs.
So far I have: Win98+drivers, Windows LastXP+drivers and Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.
But, before I do another stupid think, I need to know...

Conclusion:What exactly must I do to replace the old operating system?

I burned a CD with Win98, with the windows files in the same order as in the original CD. I burned the Win LastXP files in the same order as in the original DVD. Win XP Professional SP3 is original...(Maybe the one and the only original thing in my house)
Now I plan to install an XP instead of Vista because, as the producer (Dell) says, that model is made for WinXP.

I would really like some help. I messed up my brother's laptop and I am very sorry. It's giving me sleepless nights...
Seriously, please help me!
Some sugestions, instructions etc. are welcome.

Level 34
I certainly hope you didn't pirate any of this. :wink:

So you're asking how to install a new operating system, and reformat a HDD?

Level 34
Simply put in the disc. Your BIOS should be set to boot from the disc. If it doesn't work, go into your BIOS, and change the boot-up order to:

CD
Floppy
HDD

Level 11
Then skip the Floppy part lol. If you don't have backups of your files, you might be able to get them by using a Linux Live CD, which doesn't need installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.