• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stuck with operating system choise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hey people!

Lately I'm stuck with, what operating system I should choose.
Now I'm using Windows Vista (lowest version), and I hate it when it crashes.
My guess is that Vista cannot handle all the program's I open and use.

So now I'm planning to either change operating system or buying a higher version of it.

I was thinking of using windows xp again (but would I be able using future games/programs that way?) or upgrading.

I am not choosing for linux at the moment, since it makes it harder for me to game, and I am gamer.

Any hints or idea's are always welcome.

Level 4
Probably Vista crashes because you are low on RAM memory, or maybe you didn't update your Operating System. With a bunch of patches Vista became much more secure and efficient, not to mention that numerous of crashing reasons where eliminated.
As for WinXP: Game developers aren't a bunch of chimpmunks - they understand that majority of gamers utilize XP for their needs, so they offer DirectX9 support and will do so. So no need to fear that later in date games won't be playable.
As we see it doesn't look like DirectX9.0L will come out soon...

Oh, and if your processor supports 64-bit programming code then get WinXP 64-bit Edition, but only do so if your life heavily relies on multimedia, 3D and heavy-count programs.

Level 2
really to tell you the truth Vista is probably one of the best windows OS now it had a VARY bad start but is really stable jest make sure your computer is up to the task if its contently crashing could mean the following:

you don't have 64bit Vista
you didn't get basic Vista
you don't have all the Vista updates/Driver updates (or your still using/trying to use 32bit drivers)
you don't have at least 4gigs of ram
you don't have at least 1066MHz clocked ram
you don't have a quad core CPU or a CPU that doesn't support Hyper-Transport/Hyper-threading
your CPU isn't clocked @ at least 2.4GHz (Dual core clocks need to be in the 3+ or have a large FSB speed )
your BIOS hasn't been flashed with recent updates
your Video card doesn't support DX10 that's 8800 or above for Nvidia or a 3800 or above for DAMMIT (ATI/AMD) and if you have a Intel graphics card you shouldn't be running Vista (with the exception if you have Larrabee)
To top it off RAID your hard drives for some reason it runs more stable in RAID configs than on a single drive

Also have noticed that Vista runs more stable on AMD CPUs i believe it to be a cause of the IMC and the hyper-transport as well as processor instruction sets (jest from personal experience but im a speed guy so i got Intel)

It was the same with XP people hated it eventually the bugs where worked out of it and it is one of the best Windows OSs out there.

Level 2
i don't know where you get your info but the higher versions of vista are the worst because of aero. Let me guess your laptop doesn't meet the specs i previously listed. Fine isnt a good word to use with Microsoft by the way what is your rating for windows experience? Macs used to be grate but lately they have gotten arrogant and the intel switch gave them trouble its really bad when you see macs getting a BSOD Leopard was a disaster (slowly fixing like vista has made it better). I used to use both macs but when i got my new 8 core power mac G5 and it blue screened every time i opened safari iv been a PC user since. (note not downplaying macs they may have fixed the issues and this was a long time ago when they sold G5s) Also if a mac has a problem you cant do anything about it and i don't like the ecc fully buffed memory they use. also if you are looking at a mac take a look at open computing its a mac but with the price of a PC its a moded BIOS which allows mac to nativity run on the system

Level 5
Bullshit.
Microsoft is crap.
Its like "oh, lets put some bugs in the lower versions of vista, and remove them in the higher versions".
When I'm going to buy a new laptop it will be a MAC.

And for your information : My laptop is FINE.

Apple fan boy much? Leme guess you own a mac and a Ipod, AND a mac book pro?

Level 36
Not everyone who hates MS owns a fucking Mac. Failtroll is fail.

I HATE Microsoft but I don't own shit all from Mac. Vista. It's just bad. This new marketting campaign crap they're doing is to "change people's impressions of Windows Vista". Yes, everything thinks it sucks, we'll make them think otherwise! Insteasd of actually fixing the OS.

It has compatibility problems out the ass, it steals all your hardware. Games take a 30% performance hit compared to XP. It just blows in every way.

Before you rag on about my hardware, I've got a 2.4 GHZ Core 2 Duo and 4 GB of top notch DDR2.

Level 5
Vista was written from scratch, so obviously there will be bugs. But the NEXT version of windows will RAPE. Mac OS is only good cause the coding is the same.

Level 15
Vista was not written from scratch. It is based in quite a lot of ways on the Windows NT/2000 kernel, just like Windows XP.

That said, the general populous hopes as you do: that Windows 7 will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.