• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Eye on the Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Eye on the Price (Last Update)

Here goes. I finally had a little free time, hence I ended up doing this. Not sure whether I should change something or keep it as it is. Criticism appreciated.
Perhaps I should add that I had a dream like this the other day. Not this detailed but I was standing at the bottom of a staircase looking up at a cup. Dang, I wanted that cup so badly.
eyeonthepricenamn.png

UPDATE: Alright, here's the updated version.
- Constructed a staircase (Possible adjustments later on)
- Dampened the fog in the foreground
- Spread the stars out additionally

eyeonthepriceupdate.png

UPDATE 2:
Fixed some of the shrubbery.
Spread out the stars even further.
Attempted to fix the goblet effect.

eyeonthepriceupdate2.png

UPDATE 3:
- Added another Galaxy model on top, I think it made for a nice light effect
- Added additional stars

eyeonthepriceupdate3.png

I believe this made for a really nice sky effect. I toned down the stars towards the right end of the screen. This last update might be risky, however I'm prepared to tackle any criticism I get.

Attachments

• Eye on the Price (Namn).png
    Eye on the Price (Namn).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Level 6
Wow always knew you had a hang for light effects...
I like the general idea of the magic-cup.
Here are only a few suggestions:
-I would reduce the sparks on the left side (in the background)
-maybe try to let the cup hover in the air (only if it looks well)
-what is irritating is that the light inbetween the rocks is green in front and blue in the background - maybe you could change that
-hm the stairs... I like these Utm stairs but I always thought the model is a bit too big and stretched, maybe take a screenshot from a greater distance
So thats all I can think of....

Edit: You can see the ende the lightrays at the platform where the goblet stands, that looks kind of weird.

Last edited:
Level 36
Good terrain, though it could look better.

Yes, making the cup hover is a great idea. What I would do about the other stuff pretty much is:

Spread out the stars in the background, but make it seem like their coming from the same point. Make the stairs out of Moria doodad, or do more details to it in general, if you dont want to use the Moria ones. Then I'd suggest lessen the intensity of the green light at the foreground, not change the color or remove it, cause I can see how it overlaps with the background and makes for a cool magical effect.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Thanks for the feedback, all of you. I did experiment a whole bunch with the lightings.
~Solaris - What did you refer to as the end of the lightrays?
~Keiji - Yeah, I was trying for a surreal and magical effect with the green/blue fog. I guess I could lessen the intensity in the foreground. Perhaps those stairs are too stretched. I'll try to spread out the stars as well.
~Oziris - Haha. Now that you mention it, the sky is comparable to one of the vista backgrounds.
Overall, I'm not too sure about the moria stairs. Where as they look better, I lose the whole blend between modern and ancient, thus losing some of the surreal imagery I have tried creating. I'll see if I can't find any other stair model to replace it with.

Level 6
Wow, I Really like it :thumbs_up: Especially the lighting.

The colours work really well, but I do agree that the foreground green could be dimmed a bit.

I must ask how you did the starry explosion thing behind that there rock, because that is worth stealing :wink:

Oh and I like the arch on the right, but maybe some background lighting would make it more noticeable.

Level 6
Thanks for the feedback, all of you. I did experiment a whole bunch with the lightings.
~Solaris - What did you refer to as the end of the lightrays?

Actually it´s just a small thing, I have pointed out the area on the attached picture.
Regarding the stairs, maybe you shouldn´t use a stair model at all, just make your own stairs...

Attachments

• eyeonthepricenpointer.PNG
    eyeonthepricenpointer.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 113

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Actually it´s just a small thing, I have pointed out the area on the attached picture.
Regarding the stairs, maybe you shouldn´t use a stair model at all, just make your own stairs...
Ah, I see. Does look pretty weird I guess. The thought did cross my mind to construct some stairs, and I don't recall why I didn't do so. I'll see what I can do.
I'll make the cup hover as well. That was an excellent idea.

Last edited:
Level 36
Only at one spot does the shrubs not look too good, but even there it isn't a problem.

It looks better, but if I were you I would try making the cup and the shining effect be "on par" if you catch my drift, the fact that the shine is above the cup and not behind it makes for a ... Not too good effect. Also, I nearly dont see any change at all to the stars, when I said spread them out, I meant REALLY spread them out, like covering nearly half the sky :p

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Only at one spot does the shrubs not look too good, but even there it isn't a problem.

It looks better, but if I were you I would try making the cup and the shining effect be "on par" if you catch my drift, the fact that the shine is above the cup and not behind it makes for a ... Not too good effect. Also, I nearly dont see any change at all to the stars, when I said spread them out, I meant REALLY spread them out, like covering nearly half the sky :p
Be on pair you say? I was trying the get that shine outburst so it appears to be coming out of the cup. I'll try pushing it back a bit. Also, I'll try spreading them out even further.

Last edited:
Level 36
I still see that arch....

If you are implying that it looks bad I'd have to say I completely disagree. That arch is a brilliant detail put in there, very subtle and not very noticable but still it gives the terrain this omnious feel of some ancient ruin present to this otherwise sureal and strange place.

The only thing I find strange with the latest terrain is that the stars in the background seem to be cut off in a horizonal manner, which makes it look unatural. As you can see on the picture I uploaded, there is a whole load of stars beneath the red line, while there is next to none above it.

Attachments

• Savvy.jpg
    Savvy.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 82

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The only thing I find strange with the latest terrain is that the stars in the background seem to be cut off in a horizonal manner, which makes it look unatural. As you can see on the picture I uploaded, there is a whole load of stars beneath the red line, while there is next to none above it.
You have a point, although adding stars to the entire sky doesn't seem like it would fit my concept. It would look too much like an everyday midnight sky, thus losing my surreal dream image. I do, however, agree that the stars should be located above said red line as well. I'll update it again, I'm here to learn and try new stuff anyways.
PS: Any thoughts about the effect this time around? Better? Worse? Similar?

Level 36
I wasn't implying that you should have the same amount of stars above the line, just some, to make it seem fluid and natural. I still think you should use the "explosion" effect as you are already using. (didn't come up with a better word..)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I wasn't implying that you should have the same amount of stars above the line, just some, to make it seem fluid and natural. I still think you should use the "explosion" effect as you are already using. (didn't come up with a better word..)
Ah, I misinterpreted your previous message it seems. Nevertheless, thoughts about the final update?
Oh, update 3 is uploaded. Slipped my mind to mention it.

Level 13
If you are implying that it looks bad I'd have to say I completely disagree. That arch is a brilliant detail put in there, very subtle and not very noticable but still it gives the terrain this omnious feel of some ancient ruin present to this otherwise sureal and strange place.

The reason I don't like the arch is because I don't get that feeling that there was a ancient ruin type of thing I get the sense that it's just a arch there it draws me attention away from the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.