• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Abandoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

~~~

And here i am again.
Its just a lit'l improvement of my recent WIP that i made few days ago.

Its unfinished yet , so if you have suggestions . tell me.

I think i need to remove that tree (in the bottom left) and add some props in the top of the roof (The Roof near the camera)

Abandoned Land 12 30 2013.png

Credits to : BloodRaven , Manoo , _oGre , LongbowMan , Tobyfat , B2M (and Deolrin)

~~~

Changelog: [Dont Read if you dont care] December 30 2013 4:00 PM

Added second floor to the first house (The house near the camera)
Added Sunrays , Sunlight (Glows) / Lighting.
Added another Wood Platform in the Left.
Added more props (ropes , hanged clothes)
Removed the Wood Tree the blocks the background.
Fixed the Tint Color of Stars and Ubercloud
Reduced the Mist a bit, >
Moved the Camera a bit.

etc,

Abandoned 12 30 2013.png

"I think its too misty , gonna fix that"

~~~
Changelog: December 31 , 2013 [My End of the Year Terrain ;)]

-Removed the Pink Glow that bugs the sky
-Moved the Character in the ranch.[In the left-most part of the terrain]
-Retinted the Stars
-Added a Morning Moon
-Tinted the Hanging Clothes a bit darker [Duller]
-Removed the Lamp [On that table at the first platform near the camera"

"Wheres the sun?"
-It is behind the camera

"Why theres a bridge but theres no river?"
-Theres a dry mud between them"

"Where'd you had that Guy/Model?"
-I found it here in hive , Manoo made it , you can search for it in Model Section

"The human model almost seems out of place"
-Yes , now i moved him in another ranch

"Why'd you removed the pink fog"
-It affects the lightness of the terrain , and the stars and mountains turned invisible because of it."

"Can you make a night version of it"
-I cant. I dont know.

"Also, I know what you're trying to do with the trees around the adjacent dwellings, but might I suggest you lighten up on them a bit? "
-Impossible , I cant raise it anymore (255,255,255) .

"The new terrain is great" "+Rep for you"
- :"> Thank you

Abandoned 12 31 2013.png

Additional Credit : xXMorpheusXx , Sin Dorei

Happy New Year Everyone

I think this will be the final output No , Another update comin up... [I need to redo that tree in the bottom right]

Changelog : January 1 2014 [The first terrain of the Year , Yeehaw!]

-Added Low-Tinted Nebulas in the Sky
-Added Woods Tree in the Background [On the top of the mountains]
-Minimized the Tree in the Bottom Right
-Moved the Support Column [The one at the bottom of the image] a bit.
-Sharpened the color of the trees. [The "trees" in the top to the top right of the image.]
-Fixed the Roof [The roof at the bottom left of the image]
-Changed the Fog Z-Start [Its not that noticeable]

"I suggest you change the roof"
-Im not sure but i think its already good.

Abandoned 01 01 2014.png

[HIDDEN="Final]
226575-albums6981-picture77744.png
[/hidden]

Last edited:
Level 4
8.5/10.

I would seriously like to see a sun in the background. I know that it's doable since I've seen it done in other scenes and terrains, though I'm not sure how difficult it is since I am not a terrainer myself.

The human model almost seems out of place, but otherwise the entire picture and the effect it has is great. Would love to see a midnight version of this scenery.

Also, is that a canyon through the middle? I can't really see the depth of it, whether or not it is a small dip in the ground or a river flowing through. There is a bridge over it so I would assume it was either a canyon or a river.

One last thing. Across the bridge from the man is a house, straight across from the bridge. On it's right side there is an orange thing hanging there. What is that? It stands out amongst the wonderful brown and green flow of the scenery.

Other than those things, the terrain is great. +Rep for you, my friend.

EDIT: Wow, I think I just posted about 6 minutes before you updated with the new picture, though it might've just been a misread by myself. Anyway, the new terrain is great, though I personally liked the first one better. The change to the house you made was well-done and I approve of that. You should keep the left-most tree you removed, but leave the one in front of the man gone. It wouldn't make sense for him to be looking out across a tree, and I'm glad you made the change.

I couldn't see any other changes except the fog. If you changed a few of the models and made them a bit more dull (such as the human), I think it would work. Otherwise, I would keep the fog. But of course these are all my opinions and should be read as such. The fog certainly adds that great scene effect, though others may think different.

EDIT (Again): I just realized what the orange thing beside the house was -- clothes, if I'm not mistaken, hanging. I suggest changing the orange to a slightly duller, greyer orange to keep up the effect. Although I understand that not everyone's clothes are going to be grey and white, it kind of stands out.

Level 36
"I think its too misty , gonna fix that"

I'm not sure you actually have to thin it out, more just edit the Z-start value, so that the fog
doesn't cover so much foreground, but still keeps the misty feeling of the background.
This terrain could surely do with a sun on the horizon, preferably with the fog still being as
thick as it is in the background, to give a sort of early-morning sun-through-the-mist feeling.
- You might even consider adding a light drizzle.

I really don't like that roof, it's too close to the screen and as thus the poor texture quality
really shines through. Might it be better to use Talavaj's roof doodads? Or just
remove it completely, I get that the roof thing is kind of the main attraction of the
terrain, with that rooster and all, to give it that certain feel. But as previously stated,
if you don't feel like removing it, then maybe you should consider improving it.

I also think you should marginally thin out the tree on the right side, and maybe add a
vaguely apparent tree somewhat covering the roof all the way to the lower left corner,
to give it that kind of framed depth, maybe even have some leaves dangling from the
upper right corner. Oh, and, I disapprove of the unit, but that's more me having a beef
with units in terrains than that it actually doesn't fit.

Other than that, really nicely done. I like the flora, I like the doodad placements and the
constructions, overall it's a good work in progress. Let's just hope it turns out even
better, eh? :)

Can we please refrain from rating terrains?
- One really can't "rate" art.

Level 4
Can we please refrain from rating terrains?
- One really can't "rate" art.

Meh, I rate what I like. And it's not exactly a rating, more of a guidance to show the worth of the terrain. Strive for a 10/10. An 8.5 means you've got to find whats wrong with it, but I've listed the changes I'd make, as well as you.

896d93ee16a975d693d6529b8f121786_77685.bmp

Oh well, you are a terrain moderator after all. You probably know what's best for all of us, so I'll strive to follow your instructions. I won't rate anymore art, thank you, sir.

Level 14
Absolute shiet. Redo the entire work.

But in realness, work on the tree placement and try and compliment the curvature of the mountains/hills with a curvature of the tree line, e.g. make trees smaller as they descend down a hill, especially when the line of trees is such that they are perpendicular to the camera angle and can thus be accented and made more pronounced in their function. It just looks better.

Also, I know what you're trying to do with the trees around the adjacent dwellings, but might I suggest you lighten up on them a bit? Try and make it look like the buildings are meant to be there and not the trees.

A patch of trees in the center (somewhere, atleast) in that valley would also help to fill in the weird void that is there.

Still, it's all up to what you want. I know there have been times that I've gotten critism on my work and I just wanted to say, "Ya know what, I respect your input, but fuck off!"
It's all good.

Level 4
Absolute shiet. Redo the entire work.

Hehe my post or the terrain?

I personally don't think it's 'shiet'. and I think it has potential to be greatly bettered (according to Google 'bettered' is a real word. Not sure I used the right context though, XD).

EDIT: The new terrain is much better then the last. I can't find where you moved the person, though. The sun in the background makes it a whole lot better in my opinion, and now I can see the mountains XD. The dull clothing also creates the effect. Good work, each update you are improving the terrain.

Level 4
I found the human, right to the left, and he is in a great position. My suggestion would be to somehow brighten him and that small area up so that he is more noticeable (it took me a while to play hide-and-seek with him XD).

Keep up the good work!

EDIT: In my opinion the lighting suggests a sunset. I'm not sure how to make one, nor if it's possible (I am not a terrainer myself), but if done correctly it could make quite a nice background.

Status
Not open for further replies.