• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Evolution map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
yeah, so i have this idea for a map.
players would control flocks of little creatures, living on an island(or something). they could choose to either war with or ally each other.

now heres the idea: when the creatures are old enough, they mate. mating is the only way to get more units. its hard to survive, and its only possible to feed so many each generation, the rest will die.
each child have 10% or something chance to evolve, meaning you get to choose an 'upgrade'. ONLY that child would have that feature.

but when the evolved creature gets kids, they have the upgrade too!. when the whole race has the upgrade, this is added to your 'evolution tree', a techtree like thing. this of course means that some upgrades unlock others, ex youll need arms to grow hands capable of fine object manipulation.

then its basically just: try to own the other creature flocks, try to ally with them and maybe crossbreed with them, or just become so much more advanced than them that you can put them in a zoo.

would this be fun to play?

Level 15
hm, now that's uncommon... =)))

u can also add neutral creeps for, hm, cross-mating... like this:
horses dont have enuf potential (and models ;) ) to become a full race, but u make them neutral creeps, so if i play the birdies i can capture them and get hyppogryphs or smth

Level 6
that would be fun. thats to be considered.
however, my idea was that every player started as the smae type of creatur, which has just stumbled from water to land(in other words, a fishy with legs), and the you'd pick wings and beaks and stuff if you want to be a bird.

and yeah, i was actually thinking about spore when i came up with this. originally, i was considering implementing the creature creator(with slots to place parts in instead of freeform, but yeah, it would be too advanced anyways).

Level 6
i'd probably do the triggering myself :p.

though i may have other uses of you. can you model? terrain?

Level 6
Hooray for that. i think ill throw away the techtree concept, i like the map better without it.
before i start the map, ill need to check out some of the concepts in vJASS, to see how ill code them, and if i can do it at all.

Level 6
i also made the evolution features you get random and invisible, that way it will be like breeding, you have to look at which creatures perform best and mate those with each other to make the best creature.

oh, and gyrosphinx, could you do an island terrain? im not really sure how i want it, so just do whatever you want.

Level 19
any tileset? I'll most likely use the tiles from the demo campaign in TFT, as i liked how that turned out, and it gives a unike feel.

And BTW: what size and number of islands?

NWM: doing it 192x192

That be it for today
some screens:

Attachments

• MountFire.jpg
    MountFire.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Level 6
yeah. some of them will have attachments, also some of them will grant abilities (i sure hope you dont miss that your new kids have gained abilities o_O)

Level 19
And some have to change models to I believe. If there are major changes for example.

Here is the Terrain, I can always expand it if you're not happy, but i think it turned out rather well.

Attachments

• Evolution Islands.w3x
    232.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Minimap Shot.jpg
    Minimap Shot.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 77
Level 6
very cool. i like.

there will be a temporary pause, until i can get my stupid WC3 to download the test patch from westfall and script this thing out in hashtable.

Level 12
This is a lot like spore.
The 10 percent evolve thing leaves too much to chance, the first guy who gets lucky (not like it sounds) will instanly take over. Make it either constant (100%) or like half(50%)

Status
Not open for further replies.