• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Estimated Size of custom model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
As reforged is upon us.

What would be the estimated range size (Megabytes) of one custom model, does anyone knows just basing on the model size in reforged?

Level 3
Thanks a lot! using this a rough gauge.
If custom maps that going to the same textures and models, based on the smaller size model which is 17mb, if there are going to be 10 models, one map is going to be like more than 170mb.
But again should not speculate until the actual game release.

~El

Level 17
You have to keep in mind, that high-quality content like this takes much more effort, skill and time to produce than what we had for Classic. I expect that very few people, if any, are going to go all out and make free models that match the style of WC3R. If you have the skills to match HD content like that, then you're probably already employed by a decent company or self-employed, and just don't spend time making free models. It's seriously not worth the time investment.

The collective portfolio of Hive modders took more than 15 years to assemble. All of this combined, this probably means that we'll be getting very few custom models that match the style and quality of Reforged.

Now, if you're willing to downgrade your expectations, you can probably expect a lot more content that is a bit lower quality but would still fit in well with WC3R. I'd expect models like those to be in the 1-5MB range each. Foliage and props can probably get away with 200-500 KB each.

Level 20
Well you also have to keep in mind that each Reforged model comes with three versions of the same model to use the Level of Detail option. No one is going to honor that criteria unless they really have a lot of time on their hands.

Level 3
You have to keep in mind, that high-quality content like this takes much more effort, skill and time to produce than what we had for Classic. I expect that very few people, if any, are going to go all out and make free models that match the style of WC3R. If you have the skills to match HD content like that, then you're probably already employed by a decent company or self-employed, and just don't spend time making free models. It's seriously not worth the time investment.

The collective portfolio of Hive modders took more than 15 years to assemble. All of this combined, this probably means that we'll be getting very few custom models that match the style and quality of Reforged.

Now, if you're willing to downgrade your expectations, you can probably expect a lot more content that is a bit lower quality but would still fit in well with WC3R. I'd expect models like those to be in the 1-5MB range each. Foliage and props can probably get away with 200-500 KB each.

Noted and totally agree. I do not have any high expectations on models. As long as it fit in well with reforged, I am all good. My only hope is that reforged would revive the interest of new and old of community gamers though moving on from classic warcraft 3.

Level 6

You have a good point but people are also making portfolios. Having screenshots and a small preview is great but seeing the model in a game is even better. So you might see less new Reforged models but because of the sheer variety of the new models it won't matter as much. Plus, we could probably use HOTS models where appropriate too.

~El

Level 17
You have a good point but people are also making portfolios. Having screenshots and a small preview is great but seeing the model in a game is even better. So you might see less new Reforged models but because of the sheer variety of the new models it won't matter as much. Plus, we could probably use HOTS models where appropriate too.

Well, there's also the fact that I (and I imagine a lot of other people) would rather not download 200 megabytes worth of a map for 10 HD models. Just because the limit is high doesn't mean you should abuse it.

Level 6

A good thing however - is that now, ripped WoW models will look far better than ever and will actually fit in with the aesthetic set up in reforged. Meaning that we could already have a huge collection of custom models to pick from that is still is of the same universe and one that NOW fits the aesthetic.

Level 6
A good thing however - is that now, ripped WoW models will look far better than ever and will actually fit in with the aesthetic set up in reforged. Meaning that we could already have a huge collection of custom models to pick from that is still is of the same universe and one that NOW fits the aesthetic.

HOTS models too.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I dont see much of a problem in getting some high res foliage and environmental models.
Same goes for characters. Remember that there is a huge difference in creating models from scratch and modifying them. The number of users who created even wc3 models from scratch was relatively tiny. But modifications, remodels, retextures and stuff were pretty common. I expect the same in Reforged.

I personally am going to up the Resolution of some of my models for reforged.
My Valkyrie for example is going to be upped to become a basic universal hero model for Gaias 2.0.
It already has a higher level of detail than most custom wc3 models, so it will be easy to modify it to HD levels of quality.

Stuff like specular and normal maps can be automated with software plugins of the likes of Maya or Blender.

Especially wow imports are allowed, im pretty sure we will see a huge amount of (both good and bad) wow edits to use in the future.

17mb is a very large size for a model, and i'm sure most of that detail is not noticed at the ranges you'd see it. Most of the size is usually taken up by texture maps, and a compressed 1024x1024 map would probably end up at somewhere around 1mb. All pbr maps combined (albedo, normal, occlusion, roughness, metallic) would be around 4-5Mb (single-channel textures like occlusion are usually smaller though, and compression may vary), and the model size would reasonably be somewhere around 2-3Mb for the average model with animations. I'd say closer to 6-9 Mb is reasonable for a user-made model, depending on quality. File size optimization has obviously not been a concern with these models, and the animations are probably resampled from IK with a very high fidelity.

Level 6
17mb is a very large size for a model, and i'm sure most of that detail is not noticed at the ranges you'd see it. Most of the size is usually taken up by texture maps, and a compressed 1024x1024 map would probably end up at somewhere around 1mb. All pbr maps combined (albedo, normal, occlusion, roughness, metallic) would be around 4-5Mb (single-channel textures like occlusion are usually smaller though, and compression may vary), and the model size would reasonably be somewhere around 2-3Mb for the average model with animations. I'd say closer to 6-9 Mb is reasonable for a user-made model, depending on quality. File size optimization has obviously not been a concern with these models, and the animations are probably resampled from IK with a very high fidelity.

Is this why Azeroth Wars takes forever to load? Is that the size of the model itself or the textures?

Anyway, I'm not sure I will make custom campaigns for this anymore. People hate Reforged and I'm not sure there will be an audience for it.

The size of the actual geometry of the model is usually very small. For a 30k triangle model (30-40 times more than a vanilla wc3 model) the filesize is less than 1mb. What takes space is textures and animations. What tends to make animations require space is if you have resampled them by generating a keyframe for each frame and each bone (24 keyframes per second and channel). This is a quick and dirty way of making sure that a model animates identically to how it does in the 3d modeling software. It is possible to optimize this result to varying degrees in order to remove redundant keyframes, but it is still not an optimal approach.

Textures can take a lot of space depending on resolution and what compression method they use. I would not be surprised if they use 2048x2048 textures on some models.

Level 6
The size of the actual geometry of the model is usually very small. For a 30k triangle model (30-40 times more than a vanilla wc3 model) the filesize is less than 1mb. What takes space is textures and animations. What tends to make animations require space is if you have resampled them by generating a keyframe for each frame and each bone (24 keyframes per second and channel). This is a quick and dirty way of making sure that a model animates identically to how it does in the 3d modeling software. It is possible to optimize this result to varying degrees in order to remove redundant keyframes, but it is still not an optimal approach.

Textures can take a lot of space depending on resolution and what compression method they use. I would not be surprised if they use 2048x2048 textures on some models.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Maybe this is also why the game stutters when placing a new building. Maybe it has memory problems and can't always load the model and all the maps in time. Perhaps this is also why the game crashes for some.

Not much they could have done about the size, I have complex 3D models with 4k textures and they are usually 50 mb in size, all because of the textures.

Even though I love the new models, the more I think about it, the more I realize it would have been better if they had just made the original models higher poly with more modern but not necessarily state of the art textures. I think this was their way of making up for no WC4 but it backfired in the end. A sad state of affairs no matter how you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.