• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Engineering Upgrade + Illusions

Level 2
I'm sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.
Problem 1:When I use ANeg(engineering upgrade) to improve a spell like chemical rage, everything works fine, except when I cast mirror image since the illusions only reflect the base hero but not the improved chemical rage. What can I do to fix this problem?
Problem 2:Also when I upgrade any passive ability that can have an illusion with ANeg, the illusions will not take the new passive. What can I do?

Last edited:
Level 39
Are you certain the illusions actually have the AEng ability after they’re spawned? That’s the first thing I’d check, and it would be pretty simple to add the ability to them and level it up appropriately if not. Illusions probably trigger the “unit spawns a summoned unit” event.

Level 2
The illusions never acquire ANeg and you can't add abilities to illusions if the main hero doesn't have them...Or maybe I'm a silly and don't know

Level 39
I presume these skills are not in the unit's OE spells list, which is where the problem lies. It should pick up AEng if you make it permanent with a trigger when the unit first gets the AEng ability. This is what keeps abilities on units when they morph into/back from other unit-types and even without this Illusion business you should do this to any abilities added dynamically that should persist. This action doesn't exist in GUI, so you must use it through a JASS custom script:
  • Set UNIT_VAR = (Triggering Unit) //or however you refer to it
  • Set ABILITY_VAR = Engineering Upgrade //the ability to make permanent
  • Custom script: call UnitMakeAbilityPermanent(udg_UNIT_VAR, true, udg_ABILITY_VAR) //change the variable names to match yours but keep the udg_ prefix

Level 39
I didn't realize Chemical Rage was an active (of course it is). Illusions can't have activated abilities; that's a game limitation and not something you can get around. They only inherit passive abilities. If you want illusions to have active abilities you will need to simulate them being illusions yourself.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Isn't he saying that he wants the illusions to be of the same "enraged" unit-type? Like if you were to cast illusions on a metamorphed Demon Hunter, you'd want the illusions to be demons with ranged attacks rather than the standard melee demon hunter. It's all animation based as far as I remember, so maybe you just add the correct animation tags to the illusions.

The "make ability permanent" function comes to mind as well.

Anyway, isn't Engineering Upgrade still broken from patch 1.32 or whatever? I'd just avoid that skill entirely, seems like a mess.

Level 2
Yes, I want the illusions to be of the same "enraged" unit-type, without ANeg(engineering upgrade) it seems to work with illusions, but when I "improve" the metamorphosis with ANeg, this doesn't work.
Also when I "improve" a ability passive (that can acquire the illusion), the illusions don't acquire "improved skill". For example blademaster has critical strike, the illusions acquire critical strike, but if I "improve" that skill with ANeg, "new critical strike", the illusions don't acquiere "new critical strike", I tested with "make ability permanent", still not working.
I'm going to try with correct animation tags to the illusions. I would avoid ANeg but don't know any other method.

Edit: I tried with correct animation tags, no solution

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I don't know any other way, could you show me one?
This might help:

See my attached map (v3)

Last edited: