• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Elven Forest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
These are some early screenshots of a project of mine. The first two screenshots were taken during the day, and the other two were taken during the night. The night shots use a custom lighting effect and the main character has a light model attached to him.

ForestTerrain01.jpgForestTerrain02.jpgForestTerrain03.jpgForestTerrain04.jpg

Level 24
Mhm, this is very smexeh. Love the atmoshpere, tree choice, placement, pretty much everything. I would add a torch during the night, just for realism.

The only problem with adding a torch is that the character doesn't have a free hand, and it looks strange when you have got a torch attached to a hand thats already carrying a sword or shield.

maybe put some doodads on the pathway, make it look a little worn away

Ok, I'll add some more doodads along the pathway. I'll post something once it's done.

Level 7
Looks good I really like the tree choice and placement but the sunken ruins tileset doesn't fits very well with elves and atmosphere isn't very elvish you should use some runes or crystals.

Level 36
Looks good I really like the tree choice and placement but the sunken ruins tileset doesn't fits very well with elves and atmosphere isn't very elvish you should use some runes or crystals.

Yes, you should also name everything like this:

"Dar'dorno'dern'dario'dwyndo-wyn'niwadowidnodowndwndwdo"

And make everything EXTREMELY cliche.

Level 23
You need to place different plants on the stone buildings-columns.
Oh, and I highly recommend you to replace sunken ruins tileset with the City tileset. Use columns, and other white stone buildings, and stone floors that are almost completely overgrown by grass.

Level 11
No it doesn't, ffs. You guys have no imagination, this is exactly what an elven forest would look like. Forest's arent made to be clean and tidy. The ruins stand out as something from the past, forgotten and engulfed by history, don't judge it, because it's classified under Sunken Ruins or something. All of your suggestions are bad. Cityscape is utter bullshit, regarding terrains and even more when you use it for elven forests. Crystals? Oh please, not another overrated corny map, again. I don't think elves would leave out powerful magic crystals sitting out in a deep forest. You're just judging it differently, because you're used to seeing those doodads in the same scenes, use your imagination. A true terrainer must know what looks good and believeable, not judge it by always expecting the same doodad, to be in the same scenario over and over.

Level 36
No it doesn't, ffs. You guys have no imagination, this is exactly what an elven forest would look like. Forest's arent made to be clean and tidy. The ruins stand out as something from the past, forgotten and engulfed by history, don't judge it, because it's classified under Sunken Ruins or something. All of your suggestions are bad. Cityscape is utter bullshit, regarding terrains and even more when you use it for elven forests. Crystals? Oh please, not another overrated corny map, again. I don't think elves would leave out powerful magic crystals sitting out in a deep forest. You're just judging it differently, because you're used to seeing those doodads in the same scenes, use your imagination. A true terrainer must know what looks good and believeable, not judge it by always expecting the same doodad, to be in the same scenario over and over.

My points exactly, except... harsher. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.