• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Editor Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
The aim of this post is to try and get a feel for the editor before it is released.

I figured I would try and round up exactly what is known about the SC2 editor. So far, all that seems to be known is this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EepFs28eWNw

In addition, the following features;

# Heroes. Including leveling system.
# Inventory system. No longer limited to 6 slots.
# Mouse look support. FPS and third person style.
# Hardpoint system. Attaching units to pre-defined points on other units.
# Havok physics engine. Useful for knockbacks, bouncing and vehicle control.
# Custom UI generation. It seems you can alter every aspect of the UI.

I feel it is worth mentioning that a lot of unit models that aren't necessarily used by the game will be included in the editor. This includes scrapped units such as the Purifier and hopefully the ghost model used in that video.

Also, looking at the custom fps and the Galaga rip it seems to me that there is no projectile collision detection. That is, the Galaga rip seems to use actual units as projectiles while I suspect that the SC:G map uses some spell that travels in a straight line which does not appear to stop after hitting the first target. This is slightly worrying because it means that there is a possibility that any fps will not support actually firing on a 3d plane. To put it simply, you may only be able to shoot things on the same level as you.

If anyone else knows anything that I've not listed, I'd appreciate it.

Level 2
Didnt know of the inventory system thats awsome
And the idea of vehicle control with physics sounds promising

With the whole collision thing U could do a custom collision thing using regions, points, z cords,loops, and unit groups. If im thinking in the right direction :p
I wonder if they will have points with a z element to them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.