• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Easiest way to add build animation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

What's the easiest way to add a build animation ?

Has someone by chance empty build animations for Human and Orc ?
( I think NE and Undead are added automatically, if I am not mistaken)

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

It is less about adding an animation to a model,
but a generic one to multiple models.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I would like to learn it myself, thank you :)

From what I understand one should create an empty build animation and then build in the model. That's how Mike created that tone of models I think.
However, what do I do if I already created the model, needing the animation ?

IfI had an empty Human build animation, I could just merge my model with it using the MatrixEater merge option.
I will see whether I can just reduce a default building to the Human build animation,
but if someone already has one I would be grateful to receive it.

N41

N41

Level 7
I would like to learn it myself, thank you :)

From what I understand one should create an empty build animation and then build in the model.
Yeah, you got it right.
That's how Mike created that tone of models I think.
However, what do I do if I already created the model, needing the animation ?
  • Open in Magos' Editor
  • Open Sequence Editor
  • Right Click
  • Add Sequence Birth
  • Set Limits/Interval beyond current timeline
  • Hide all geosets during this time using geoset animation manager
This adds an empty birth.

IfI had an empty Human build animation, I could just merge my model with it using the MatrixEater merge option.
I will see whether I can just reduce a default building to the Human build animation,
but if someone already has one I would be grateful to receive it.
This One?
Human Birth Mesh

Level 34
You could also replace an existing build animation (let's say night elf or undead) with yours and just make it appear via the event object.

Or you could use that new and flashy model editor (matrix eater or something) to copy-paste the building mesh with animations to the model and spare yourself of manualy animating it. You will just have to toy with visibility.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Are you sure you can copy NE, Undead and Naga birth animation that easy to a model ?
Isn't there other stuff related, too, like building race and tags ?

Thank you, I am going to check that out!

Level 28
Are you sure you can copy NE, Undead and Naga birth animation that easy to a model ?
Isn't there other stuff related, too, like building race and tags ?
If you're using AnimTransfer you may transfer the Undead, NE, Naga birth animation to your costum model, but that will require you to do some stuff/Edit as you said. Cause the animation will be screwed up after the transfer.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, ILH, could this also work for the Human build animation ?
If I find a fitting model, one that resembles my model, then I could attach that one and set the visiblity to only Birth, couldn't I ?

Level 27
Use this for birth dummy to practice. The animation is linear, and the model was optimized to remove extra bones and particles.

I use matrix eater, mi pre work is making the building to get the birth animation linear with mdlvis, and with Magos making a helper named Root_Birth.

You transfer all the geosets, the particles and bones, in the new model you move the new bones under Root Birth to keep easy to mod later. Then is only play with the timings in Magos.

Attachments

• Farm.mdx
    38.9 KB · Views: 48

N41

N41

Level 7
Hm, ILH, could this also work for the Human build animation ?
If I find a fitting model, one that resembles my model, then I could attach that one and set the visiblity to only Birth, couldn't I ?
Yes you can
You can even use a footman or grunt as birth animations if you ever wished.. LoL
-----
Technique is used by many modelers such as MatiS.
Here is his Nerubian Birth
MatiS said:
To use it you have to import it as SharedModels\UBirth.MDX, but if you want to use it with imported building model you can open it (building) in model editor, find BirthLink in nodes and change path to war3mapImported\NerubianBirth.mdx. It will allow you to use this effect without changing birth animation for in-game undead buildings.
-----
Basically if I were to put in steps
=Open Model
=Check if BirthLink Ref exists in Node Hierarchy
=If yes edit path to the path of birth model
=Else open sequence editor check if it has Birth anim
=If yes note the start and end time
=Else create empty Birth as I have explained earlier
=Create an attachment named "BirthLink Ref" (I think any name would do but this is commonly used)
=Keep it visible only during noted birth interval
=Set path to path of birth model
=Save
-----
Edit:
that the Human buildings appear before the Birth animation ends.
In that case the whole thing becomes more complicated.
No it doesn't,
In that case hide the 'BirthLink Ref' before the Birth anim ends.
Don't forget,
Though they are meant for each other, but they are yet independent!

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I tried Himperion's suggestion, however, some things are misplaced ( like the saw)
and the Birth animation disappears after 30 of 60 seconds ( haven't investigated why yet).
I most likely messed something up when transferring.

I give your suggestion a try next, N41, thank you, though I fear ( not looked it up yet),
that the Human buildings appear before the Birth animation ends.
In that case the whole thing becomes more complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.