• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dungeon Group System - Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hi,

How would you recommend an easy system for entering dungeons?
It has to work for multiple dungeons that may run at the same time.

I was thinking about something like Twilights Eve system. You enter a region, those who are in when you press -enter goes to the dungeon. If you die/leave/complete the dungeon, the group is cleared and you have your loot.
Also you are not supposed to be able to join others when they have already started.

Any suggestions, without making it too complex? :)
It doesn't have to be totally leak safe, since I don't plan this map to be worldwide.. Just for friends. ^^

Map only follows to show experiment and ideas.

Attachments

• Fallen Kings of Forygorn.w3x
    4.6 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Level 12
if others can't join the dungeon while players are already inside then there are 2 options:
- all heroes have to be at a specific spot and then via -enter they enter the dungeon
- if someone enters a dungeon, others have X seconds time to enter aswell

in the end you should choose what you like more. I prefer method 1 tho.

Level 8
if others can't join the dungeon while players are already inside then there are 2 options:
- all heroes have to be at a specific spot and then via -enter they enter the dungeon
- if someone enters a dungeon, others have X seconds time to enter aswell

in the end you should choose what you like more. I prefer method 1 tho.

I'd believe method one would be the best to avoid leaks as well.
But it was more the creation of the triggering system I was worried about.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I would just make it so that when a player comes close to the dungeon entrance all units within X are able to join him inside by just walking. All other units cannot enter until the dungeon is finished.

This only works if you use a teleport-ish entrance, like unit enters region > move unit to X instantly

This can be done in 10 minutes of triggering or something.

Level 7
Hi,

How would you recommend an easy system for entering dungeons?
It has to work for multiple dungeons that may run at the same time.

I was thinking about something like Twilights Eve system. You enter a region, those who are in when you press -enter goes to the dungeon. If you die/leave/complete the dungeon, the group is cleared and you have your loot.
Also you are not supposed to be able to join others when they have already started.

Any suggestions, without making it too complex? :)
It doesn't have to be totally leak safe, since I don't plan this map to be worldwide.. Just for friends. ^^

You should always aim to avoid leaks. They are not hard to clean up after you know what you are doing. Just spend 5 minutes to read tutorial on leaks.

A very simple example would be something like this if you have heaps of dungeons.

A unit enters a region_entrance[n]
Set quest = dungeon[n]

Unit leaves region_entrance[n]
Set quest = no region

A player types -enter as an exact match
If quest not equal no region then
Pick all units in x around Hero
move to random point in quest

Save all of your dungeons and entrances with arrays that match. There are a number of ways you can do this but this one just selects all nearby units that are around your hero when you type -enter. Please be more specific about what you want and I can help you write the triggers. If you don't like triggering, you could always use the waygate to transport units. You can deactivate the waygate after a timer.

Do you have a map already? Post it here so we can figure out what you mean. To create a dungeon you need a separate area of a map that looks like a dungeon. Then you need a way in. For example waygates. Next, you can turn them on and off. Or you can make it so a group enters at once. Hit a lever and all units in the region can go in.

One fun thing you will need is this:
  • Camera - Set the camera bounds for Player 1 (Red) to Tavern <gen>
If you know all of this already, I apologize. It is difficult to tell where your skill level is.

And btw, everything needs to be totally leak safe if you want to play it with friends. Leaks build over time and will cause the game to lag to a halt. Therefore, no more playing with friends.

Removing leaks is easy. Learn to do it and it will not even seem like a chore after a few days.

Level 8
Do you have a map already? Post it here so we can figure out what you mean. To create a dungeon you need a separate area of a map that looks like a dungeon. Then you need a way in. For example waygates. Next, you can turn them on and off. Or you can make it so a group enters at once. Hit a lever and all units in the region can go in.

One fun thing you will need is this:
  • Camera - Set the camera bounds for Player 1 (Red) to Tavern <gen>
If you know all of this already, I apologize. It is difficult to tell where your skill level is.

And btw, everything needs to be totally leak safe if you want to play it with friends. Leaks build over time and will cause the game to lag to a halt. Therefore, no more playing with friends.

Removing leaks is easy. Learn to do it and it will not even seem like a chore after a few days.

Thanks, I am uploading the map to the question.
No worries, I am not that skilled. I know basic triggering, but not about all leaks and how some triggers bugs n stuff..

If you open the region toolbar, you can search for the lowest region, named Dungeon Ocean's Break. One group entrance and one spawn region in dungeon.
To find what trigger I have done, go to trigger editor - Dungeons and under Ocean's Break.

Save all of your dungeons and entrances with arrays that match. There are a number of ways you can do this but this one just selects all nearby units that are around your hero when you type -enter. Please be more specific about what you want and I can help you write the triggers. If you don't like triggering, you could always use the waygate to transport units. You can deactivate the waygate after a timer.
What can I say.. I want a system that works. A group enters a dungeon. When first they have joined, nobody but them can join. To begin with it doesn't have to be so fancy - just work. ^^
If a waygate makes it simple, I guess it would be ideal. But I am afraid it will course leaks, misplays and not that easy for players to use.. Since if one could be afk or smth and wont make it. I dunno.

I would just make it so that when a player comes close to the dungeon entrance all units within X are able to join him inside by just walking. All other units cannot enter until the dungeon is finished.

This only works if you use a teleport-ish entrance, like unit enters region > move unit to X instantly

This can be done in 10 minutes of triggering or something.
How would you make the Player Event - Game text to a general event? It doesn't matter how I do it, it keeps making me choose a specific player. I can't just say any player writes it...

Level 7
player 1 types blah blah
player 2 types blah blah

player 12 types blah blah

Last edited:
Level 8
player 1 types blah blah
player 2 types blah blah

player 12 types blah blah

If any of the events occur the trigger will fire.
Loop for integer A 1-12
If player number of triggering unit = integer A
Set player = player integer A

So do I make 12 seperate triggers, or 12 events in the same trigger? <.<

Level 7
So do I make 12 separate triggers, or 12 events in the same trigger? <.<

12 events in the same trigger. The triggering player is the player that activated the event.

If you are really lazy and have heaps of trigger like this to do. You can have a seperate trigger that goes like this

Loop A 1 to 12
Add event playerA types in blah blah

This is helpful when you have heaps of other triggers where you need to write the event for each player and too lazy to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.