• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Drake Equation Survey (takers get +rep).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I've gotten a project recently to get information on the Drake Equation and come up with how many communicable civilizations there are in our galaxy in my opinion. Well, I've done that, but to add something extra, I've decided to make a Drake Equation survey for the rest of you guys. Its quite a simple survey, but it would help me out a lot if you could take a few minutes of your time to fill it out. If you do fill it out, please let me know below so I can give you +rep.

Here's the link to the survey: https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHJaU3BsU00zMEw3eHZtWDF1S3pzdlE6MQ

Please take this survey seriously and answer the questions logically, rather than putting absurd numbers for everything that are not even a possibility. I will use the final results for a project, so I need them to work.

Level 9
I got an answer which I felt was rather high (269.2305) mainly due to the fact that I used a relatively high number for the amount of time a communicating civilization exists for (125,000). Its difficult to keep in mind just how many stars actually exist in a galaxy, but for any life to have a good chance of surviving for the amount of time needed to develop interstellar communication, they would have to be on the outskirts of the galaxy like us, since the clusters of stars closer to the center is a very hostile place.

Level 7
Why do you force participants to do the arithmetic at the end themselves?

I don't. It says that's optional. If you do it, I can do a final average calculation to see what the average number of communicable civilizations in our galaxy is. You definitely don't have to do it if you don't want to, you only need to do the rest of the survey, since I definitely need that data.

@Darkness-4ever: Thanks for taking the survey. I've given you a rep.

@Busterkomo: Did you take the survey or no? I'm seeing two results, and I know one is from Darkness-4ever, don't know who the other is from.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I have a technical question. 10 years to 1 million years, are we supposed to multiply this with the rest of the survey? 1.000.000 is a huge number.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll let you run the numbers instead. There we go, I did the survey. Quite interesting I must say.

Last edited:
Level 7
Hmmm... I've been checking the results for the survey, and it seems like some of you put numbers like 200% and 300% for percentage of stars that form planets. It's supposed to be a % between 0% and 100%.

I've given rep to nearly all people who have posted to doing the survey thus far (except for the most recent, since I ran out of rep to give for the day and Hive told me I'd given too much rep for today). I'll make sure I get you guys tomorrow. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Level 17
I don't. It says that's optional. If you do it, I can do a final average calculation to see what the average number of communicable civilizations in our galaxy is. You definitely don't have to do it if you don't want to, you only need to do the rest of the survey, since I definitely need that data.
I mean it would be nice if the product was calculated and then presented to the user.

Level 7
I mean it would be nice if the product was calculated and then presented to the user.

That's a great idea. Except I have no idea how to do it, since when you're editing the survey, its not in spreadsheet format, so you can't make formulas in it. I can do that with when I view what other people have put, but then only I can see it, and other people can't.

Level 7
Hmm... Are you sure you multiplied your percents in decimal form rather than in whole numbers? That is usually the problem with really huge numbers.

Also, checking the results of the survey... I thought I could take the results seriously, but now, apparently I can't. Someone who took the survey decided to be funny and ruin everything. He/she had most of his numbers off the range that I said to put them in, like he/she had 200%, -5%. I mean really? I had more faith in you guys. -.-

Just don't even bother taking the survey anymore, since the results are pretty much useless to me now.

Now, could a mod close this thread, since it has lost its point?

Level 25
Hmm... Are you sure you multiplied your percents in decimal form rather than in whole numbers? That is usually the problem with really huge numbers.

Oh, must have missed that part. But I suppose I got 643,5 then.

And I am sorry about the test being useless now because some smartass did a thing like that.
Hope you got something out of it at least.

Level 22

Also, checking the results of the survey... I thought I could take the results seriously, but now, apparently I can't. Someone who took the survey decided to be funny and ruin everything. He/she had most of his numbers off the range that I said to put them in, like he/she had 200%, -5%. I mean really? I had more faith in you guys. -.-

Just don't even bother taking the survey anymore, since the results are pretty much useless to me now.

Now, could a mod close this thread, since it has lost its point?

Woah, you can't blame all of ''us guys'', just because one person (who may not even be a member of Hive) messed up your test.

Can't you just ignore his results, and use the rest?

Level 7
Woah, you can't blame all of ''us guys'', just because one person (who may not even be a member of Hive) messed up your test.

My apologies, I was generalizing too much. The Hive was the only place I posed this, so it was the first place to come to mind.

Can't you just ignore his results, and use the rest?

Google's spreadsheet that shows me the results and calculates things won't allow me to change anything (at least I can't).

Scratch the above. Did some fiddling around with the spreadsheet, and found out that I could delete that row, don't know if it did anything to the already calculated data though.

Status
Not open for further replies.