• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dragon Trainer Rpg - Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icoria

I

Icoria

Sounds great! But before we put it in the game, we have to wait for the terrainer to finish.

Icoria

I

Icoria

With the spells:
-Stonecall/eruption are the same
-confusion is good
-with stormstrike, if you could, it would be nice if you put some kind of lightning bolt from where the tester was to where he went

Maybe you could add a bit of special effects to confusion :p

Thanks!

Level 27
With the spells:
-Stonecall/eruption are the same
Eruption is a simple Flamestrike awesomifying. It works just like flamestrike with a crater effect and all that.
Stonecall summons a titan-sized mountain giant that does 500 damage to all units within 500 range. While they look the same in the object editor, they are way diffirent in looks, and slightly diffirent in effects.
I can see how they seem to be the same, but they aren't really.

-confusion is good
Thanks =) I'l add some spelleffects.

-with stormstrike, if you could, it would be nice if you put some kind of lightning bolt from where the tester was to where he went
Originally i actually had a tornado do that. The thing is, that i can't make it go back to his original position afterwards. If you still wan't me too, i can ofcourse make a projectile on the way out.

Thanks for the feedback =)

Edit: I don't know if this is what you stumbled upon, but there actually is a bug since both stonecall and eruption is both made from the same spell, that sometimes after you cast one of the spells, this spell will take over the other spells position even thoug the other spells icon and tooltip is still there. I just thought that that might be why you think they're the same. =) This happened for me more than once while testing. If you wan't i can add another tester in the next version who will be having spells that bugs if combined with the others.

Icoria

I

Icoria

Hmmm.... I will try deleting one spell, and then try the other. Yes I know that can sometimes happen, its a real pain! That happened to me several times :p

Icoria

I

Icoria

Hmm.... Kind of like the stuff in my pictures, like this I suppose?
173683-albums2318-picture19588.bmp

173683-albums2318-picture19543.jpg

173683-albums2318-picture18410.bmp

They can be cool colors, like blue, purple, mabye pink. Also another example is in my sig.

THANKS! :D

I once attempted it, but way to many polies and gmax can't animate stuff well and color stuff well so ya....

Level 27
yeah, that model seems to be kind of too much. You'l need a REALLY GOOD moddeler to do that.

There might be a solution though...
The closest thing i can think of is a dragonhawk, so you could get some person to do a dragonhawk-based dragon? that would be abit easier.

Icoria

I

Icoria

Oo
I can't make it D:

YEs you can. You dont have to make it exactly like that. Just make it furry; maybe change the skin and add a bit of hair on the top to replace the spine things with webbed things on the head.

Icoria

I

Icoria

That is the rest of it soul theft is the dragon island, + add a.... nether plane; purple, spiritish, waterish, etc... whatever you can think of as a dark, magical, purplish, netherish, (like the nether dragons), thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, suggestion, take a wolf, add wings to it, make the rest of it furry, make it a little more like a dragon snout, make the tail longer, and make the ears longer. That should do it :p

Well I'm no texturer, but thats what I was going to do for my dragon model that I started a while ago. I already said you could use it a while ago - I'm just not done with it (things IRL, winter break is here so maybe ill start it now).

Btw, I can help contribute with some things if you need help - idk I'm ok with terraining, triggering, spells, game music, etc.

But yeah you might want to come up with a story more based on plot - I've played legendary monsters before (a game with the whole loose based story thing) and though Its a cool concept, it got dull after a while - especially after other people loaded their level 57 Ancient Dragons which would unleash a swath of destruction leaving me to pick up little experience by following them around the whole time while absolutely nothing happened story wise. I'm not saying make it like some final fantasy thing where the whole story unfolds in brilliant cinematic flare with fire spells going off everywhere with the sacrifice of you losing control, just make it a bit more structured - and try to find a way to make the whole Save/Load ORPG thing work fairly, it sucks to begin at level 1 while some guy who's played it before can zip all the way to the max level and get all the good stuff on top of showing you how to do everything ruining the chance for you to figure out things yourself.

Oh and another thing, too many warcraft RPG's are just kill kill kill kill kill, add some puzzles in, something to challenge the player to use their mind instead of their 15000 gold Claws of Attack + 300

Edit: I looked over the spell map someone had uploaded earlier:

VERY INEFFICIENT CODING
Theres leaks, and some won't work when 2 players cast them at the same time. The concepts may be ok, some are pretty simplistic, but you DEFINITELY want to improve them. For the confusion spell, you might want to brush up loops - can accomplish that spell much more easily.

Edit 2: The Charly the Unicorn model is terrible looking if you ask me, though its cartoony purpose works good in maps where humor is the ultimate goal, it just looks too out of place with the warcraft models.

Last edited:
My spells are very simple, and i am a novice at GUI.
I suck at Jass, so that i won't use. Those spells are the result ;)

This will help you out, ALOT
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/basic-memory-leaks-5889/

I dont see any tuts on loops, but heres how they basically work

For every number from X (original value) to X (final value) do functions

Basically, for each number in it goes through to get from X to X, it performs the actions inside the loop
This may seem simple but it gets a lot more useful when you bring in what you can do with the loop integer. The value Loop Integer A or B or Whatever value you put in for the Variable indicated loop is equal to whatever number the loop currently is, so say the loop fired off twice and the loop was from 1 to 5, Loop Integer (Whatever integer) would be equal to 2, since this is the second time it went off. Now you can use this to reference variables with arrays, like say you have 1 hero for each player. Instead of doing a Hero1 Hero2 Hero3, etc. You can do Hero [Array] and then For every number from 1 to 12 do set Hero[Loop Integer A] = Unit.

Now one thing is that loops are useful for things like the one spell you made that repeatedly used waits, but your going to want to use a Variable with an array instead of like Loop Int A. Loop Int A is basically like an integer variable with no array, with this it can only be used at one time by one instance without starting to screw up. If you dont put waits in the loop, it works fine since its pretty much instantaneous, but if you put waits in it then have 2 players use the spell at once, its only going to work for one player since the Loop Int A is working for that single player. For this use a Variable with an Array that you reference to the player number of the casting unit so it can be used multiple times at once - You could also bring in a hash table too, but thats a bit more advanced

Icoria

I

Icoria

There already IS a story. You'll see. Also, we REALLY need spells, models, and DEFINATELY game music. There's a story, so i can't make it like that. Either that, or I'll think about it.... hmmmmmmm different story.........? Maybe, maybe not, but the story basics is, a human turned evil, is against both humans and dragons, and they unite against him; (he's a necromancer). Or I can just have the evil human lead the other humans against the dragons... ooh thats a good idea!

Why don't we just cut humans out of the picture, lol too cliched. Why not develop an entirely new civilization/society/whatever?

And human turned evil uniting humans and dragons is pretty much the exact story of Eragon, and about every other fantasy novel that has something to do with dragons.

Really the only other person I've even seen try and explore this concept (Which I've planned multiple times but never got to lol) is Pyritie, and his map was pretty much Dragons were exactly like humans (I still don't understand what quadrupedal dragons would need shelves for, or a piano for that sake)

Icoria

I

Icoria

ek.... I never even read any books (or eragon) including those ideas........ This is gonna be stupid................... think............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Well I got nothing.

WAIT?!??!?!

A dragon turns evil, from evil magic..... something along those lines :p

A dragon turns evil, from evil magic..... something along those lines :p

Hmmm, the magic thing kinda implies some human activity, why don't we start more basic shall we?

-Well start off with a completely new world. Do you want Science or Magic to rule this world? (by this I mean, are things going to follow like logical science, or will the populace have access to things like magic, or can things just randomly happen for no apparent reason)
-K now the populace, how intelligent will the Dragons be?
-Will Dragons be the only sentient species?
-Will they form close communities or be more reclusive?
-Will they make some sort of government? If so what type, a council? legislature? - whatever it is come up with a new word for it
-What is f@#$ed up with the world currently? Something will have to start the story
-Why is it F@#$ed up? Actions from the populace or more or less victims of circumstance?
-Why are YOU (as in the player) so important? (Get away from cliches, like your the prince of some kingdom, noone likes a royal pain in the a$$)

Hopefully this makes it easier to come up with some sort of story.

Btw, are Dinosaurs necessary? You seem to be conforming to dragon adopters, make your own stuff. Not saying remove them, just will they fit in with the whole thing, be kinda disappointing if the one player who chose to be a dinosaur misses out in the whole flying fight (hypothetical, I'm not saying whether or not you should include flying, just would suck if one player had to miss out on some stuff simply because of a choice in the beginning)

Im not saying what you came up with is bad, its just incredibly basic and thus can go anywhere. Time to narrow it down.

Last edited:

Icoria

I

Icoria

here, this might solve that. I was planning on making a story like the one i made in this game... ek i cant find the map :(

Icoria

I

Icoria

You know the game Pyrzm? It's sort of like that storyline. But the dragon finds a potion that is supposedly a powerful artifact that will end the war, so he drinks it. He turns into an evil, evil dragon and corrupts the land. Something like that.

Nope never heard of Pyrzm, but yeah sounds ok. I mean its your game so you inevitably decide the story but it still seems a little cliche (really depends on what style your going for. If its going to be something like The Legend of Zelda or something of that sort of cartoony or whatever you want to call game then yeah a story like that will work)

Level 4
What about if there is an eniterly new universe out there ruled by dragons but that universe is slowly breaking apart due to some sort of space problem or somthing. So the dragons have to seek a new home to live. They arrive upon a world ruled by creatures never before seen by the ancient beasts but these creatures are not going to just give their universe away. So a select group of dragons are sent to do any means necessary to over-take that universe. Just a very brief idea but yeah. If you like it ill make it more detailed and post it here. Got a few ideas from WherewolfTherewolf.

EDIT: I could also make a loading screen/mini map preview.

Last edited:

Icoria

I

Icoria

Idk, I think the original creator just kinda left for a while

Yeah, video games will do that to you - perhapes this concept may go somewhere when she finally gets burned out on that game.

Haha don't worry I'm still checking this thread. Waiting for the person that said they would do the terraining to finish as well :p
I can work on this map on week days I think but right now I'm grounded for some reason because I frowned.... does that really deserve getting grounded? Seriously?

Level 1
This looks really good and i wish you guys luck on finishing it.:thumbs_up:

On a side note i dont think there should be Dinosaurs as a choosable character type because they dont seem to fit. Instead of dinos make it some kind of like Feral/Wild dragon that dosent really use magic but is physically faster and stronger than Magic using dragons.

Icoria

I

Icoria

I am still waiting for the terrainer to finish, unless someone else wants to terrain and is really good at it?

Status
Not open for further replies.