• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] DOTA vs. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Can anyone of you make a map where all DOTA characters and LOL characters fight to the death since it was always fighting about which one is better.

Level 17
you cannot compare LoL abilities with DotA abilities. DotA abilities are always "stronger" in stats. Stun durations are always longer, damage is higher.
I also don't think it's a good idea to do such a map. just imagine the flame wars in the thread or even in the game itself. All those Dota - LoL comparisons get on my nerves...
Both of them are REALLY different games and both of them have their up- and downsides. I prefer dota because.. well i always played dota. i started with it and i'm accustomend on it.

Level 9
you cannot compare LoL abilities with DotA abilities. DotA abilities are always "stronger" in stats. Stun durations are always longer, damage is higher.
I also don't think it's a good idea to do such a map. just imagine the flame wars in the thread or even in the game itself. All those Dota - LoL comparisons get on my nerves...
Both of them are REALLY different games and both of them have their up- and downsides. I prefer dota because.. well i always played dota. i started with it and i'm accustomend on it.

Same thoughts here, dear Hiver.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

What are you smoking? I want some.

You can't compare an ability with static damage across levels with one that grows more powerful with each AP or AD item you buy. You are right about stun durations but no ability from dota can even match the insane damage burst from LoL abilities. It can't even grab onto its little finger.

Try comparing Lina's burst with Veigar's burst in the long run. See how that goes for you. At best Lina can deal 3000-4000 damage with her full rotation with Aghanim, Orchid and the cap that creates an aoe magic reduction. A farmed Veigar with its full build can melt the entire enemy team - so that's what ... 3000/4000 spell damage versus 10000+? Assuming that most players play something squishy with 2-3k health and not a tank with 3-5k health.

LoL beats dota in ability damage hands down, 100% of the time.
Dota beats LoL in attack damage hands down, 100% of the time.

And just for the record, you brought this on yourself by making such a
ludicrous assessment. It looks like you just watched LoL on youtube rather
than playing some and seeing it for yourself.

About this map though - no. They are just too much different.
You need to decide which system and mechanics you will adopt.
LoL mechanics are about items that increase ability damage.
Dota mechanics are about increasing hero stats and comboing items.

Level 24
The damage output of basic attacks... is slightly higher in DotA 2 than in LoL...
Not counting runes and masteries which can increase that damage by 40%.
Which makes LoL's basic attacks much stronger than DotA 2's.

The abilities are also pretty much on the same amounts... if it was not for the AP/AD scaling of the damage.
(Yes I did take abilities with the same cooldown and special effects.)

The difference is that in LoL, the damage is reduced massively compared to DotA 2.
When you deal damage with spells in DotA 2 and that spell says that you deal 200 damage. Then you deal 200 damage to that unit.

When you deal damage with spells in LoL and that spell says that you deal 200 damage. Then you deal 154 damage at level 1 (calculated).
At level 18 when attacking a tank... that 200 damage can be reduced to 50 damage. (25%)

Next to that... dodges, jukes, outplays, etc.
In LoL, you have much more dodges of skillshots which will negate the damage and other effects completely.
That way, the average dps of spells is way lower again.

And if even that is not enough... try to spamm spells in LoL.
(Play Ziggs, Maokai, Blitzcrank or any other champ that has no mana regain ability.)
You will find out that you will not cast your spells every time when it is up unless you build full mana regeneration and have 5 mana potions.

In DotA 2, this issue also exist but it takes longer to run out of mana.

Level 17
When you deal damage with spells in DotA 2 and that spell says that you deal 200 damage. Then you deal 200 damage to that unit.
not true. every hero in dota (some exceptions) has 25% base magic resistance. that means your 200 damage spell only deals 150 damage just from the beginning (except the spell deals pure damage). nearly every hero has a base armor value that reduces physical damage. Of course you can buy even more magic resistance or armor. + there are heroes which have abilities that increase those values (huskar can get up to 94% spell resistance just for an example)
Next to that... dodges, jukes, outplays, etc.
there's also A LOT in dota.

And if even that is not enough... try to spamm spells in LoL.
well.. same for dota here again :D
most of the heroes are not able to spam their abilities because of the mana cost (or they have really high cooldown)

In DotA 2, this issue also exist but it takes longer to run out of mana.
this is not true... heroes like sven or pudge can use their main ability in earlygame once. it costs them like 60-70% of their mana. in lategame, they still have a lack of mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.