• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Dota 2: Open Role Playing Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Dota2-ORPG-Banner.png

Dota2ORPGPreviewCover.jpg

Map Status
Type: Open Role Playing Game / ORPG
Map Size: 256 X 256
Suggested Players: 3 - 8 Players
Tileset: Custom
Early Alpha Release Download: Click Me!
Current Size: 3,6 MB

Dota2-ORPG-Intro-1.png

Dota 2: Open Role Playing Game is a Warcraft III multiplayer map that I developed for fun. Perhaps this may sound absurd, but I got a random idea to develop Dota 2 in orpg version, I thought of typical but fun gameplay with fancy graphic. I'm making this map as a fanmade of the original game Dota 2 that developed by Valve, no copyright infringement intended. Please note that this early alpha release is just for testing purpose. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dota2-ORPG-Heroes-1.png

Only few hero currently are available, I pick the role that does suit for generic orpg that you usually played in this early release. And of course, more Hero will be available in the future release!
DOTA2ORPG-Characters-Sven.jpg
DOTA2ORPG-Characters-Lyralei.jpg
DOTA2ORPG-Characters-Rylai.jpg
DOTA2ORPG-Characters-Purist.jpg

Dota2-ORPG-Feature-1.png

Currently only few. At the moment, I'm not intend to include something that need a long time to finish such as fullscreen inventory system - since I intend to make a quick development for this early alpha release, so people able to test it by themselves. but in the future, I probably will include more advance systems, at least before version 1.0 is out which is not either alpha or beta. Fancy and advance hero pick system is implied in the project for this early alpha release, since I'm not really interested on typical tavern pick for this map.

Dota2-ORPG-Allience-1.png

Each player is started in the game as enemies, so expect PvP battleground when player out from city (player get invulnerability while staying in the city). But don't panic, if you desire, you can make alliance with other player as well (Check F9 in the game for more info and command).

Dota2-ORPG-Terrain-1.png

Simple minimalist, fancy mmo-like and of course, non laggy terrain is my goal on this map development. I'd like to make sort of terrain that at least, not you often seen in a map. My terraining skill ain't perfect, but I'll try to satisfy the eyes of eye-candy lover visually.
DOTA2ORPG-WIP-RadiantForest.jpg

DOTA2ORPG-WIP-RadiantForest2.jpg

DOTA2ORPG-WIP-CrystalForest.jpg

DOTA2ORPG-WIP-RadiantVillage.jpg

Dota2-ORPG-Dungeon-1.png

Only one dungeon available on this early alpha release, Lair of the Immortal - A dark themed dungeon where the strongest BOSS in the game, known as Roshan awaiting depth in the dungeon for you, heroes to challenge him.

Originally known as the strongest creeps on DotA, Roshan is available in the map as strongest, challenging BOSS in a dungeon called Lair of the Immortal. Join party with people and team work is vital part in order to beat him in the game. And don't forget to prepare restoration items!
DOTA2ORPG-WIP-LairoftheImmortal.jpg

Dota2-ORPG-Screenshots-1.png

2 early ingame screenshots and 4 recent screenshots for this early alpha release. I black masked the minimap to avoiding the early map spoiler.

Dota2-ORPG-TestScreenshot004.jpg

Dota2-ORPG-TestScreenshot003.jpg

Dota2-ORPG-TestScreenshot002.jpg

Dota2-ORPG-TestScreenshot001.jpg

WIPDota2ORPG2.jpg

WIPDota2ORPG1.jpg

Dota2-ORPG-Video-1.png

An early 2 minutes video for test gameplay preview in the game. Sorry for bad quality, I've compressed the video for lesser size.

Dota2-ORPG-Credits.png

• Special Thanks: Valve as the original DOTA 2 developer and Blizzard for their World Editor engine.
• Materials: Valve, Blizzard, altarmaria, Shinichi15, Blackstorm, judash, JetFangInferno, WILL THE ALMIGHTY.
Some fix, edit, custom made, geomerge, heavy model mesh + texture size reduction, extra animations and Re-UV materials are done by myself for the project purpose use.
• Forum Special Thanks: Hive Workshop
• Original Artwork for Loading Screen: Stanley "Artgerm" Lau.
• Reference: Official DOTA 2 site and World of Warcraft.

Last edited:
Level 10
The models look great and and the environment have a good potential if not finished. Though the terrain tiles you use are really cartoonish, it's not bad only if it's intended. If not, you've got a terrain overgoes problem.
The idea itself is interesting if you really focus on hack and slash with dota's heroes (and spells) since Dota is based on reflexes, adrenaline and not plot.
And finally, don't remove team color in model, it's always useful in multiplayer and fits with your cartoon ambiance.

I suggest ripping all dota 2 models (Even doodads, such as trees, bushes etc) and importing them into standard wc3 mpq, you can create tool that will do that or just upload whole (around - will be 500/600 MB) mpq file so players just replace theirs. Map size with just loading screen and some other, in each version different, won't go above 2 MB.

Idea is nice, but time required for something like that is huge...

Level 14
The models look great and and the environment have a good potential if not finished. Though the terrain tiles you use are really cartoonish, it's not bad only if it's intended. If not, you've got a terrain overgoes problem.
The idea itself is interesting if you really focus on hack and slash with dota's heroes (and spells) since Dota is based on reflexes, adrenaline and not plot.
And finally, don't remove team color in model, it's always useful in multiplayer and fits with your cartoon ambiance.
I actually made it on purpose - since I've already seen plenty of awesome medievalist themed map. so I guess a quite cartoonish-like one wouldn't be hurt isn't it? alright, thanks for your feedback.

I suggest ripping all dota 2 models (Even doodads, such as trees, bushes etc) and importing them into standard wc3 mpq, you can create tool that will do that or just upload whole (around - will be 500/600 MB) mpq file so players just replace theirs. Map size with just loading screen and some other, in each version different, won't go above 2 MB.

Idea is nice, but time required for something like that is huge...
well if I just import every single thing from dota 2, I would rather play the actual dota 2 instead. lol plus 500/600 mb is pretty much huge, so I think I wouldn't make it that way. I realize that you can reduce dota 2 model size from 900kb+ down to 300kb+ by deleting unnecessary animations and massively reducing the keyframe on each animations. since the size for multiplayer is limited, I'll try to choose carefully which hero to include (which is obviously I can't include every single of them).

Level 12
Nice Screenies. A very fresh idea as well. Never thought of that. Good luck on the project. I'm abit busy lately. But I'll be free when it's December. Perhaps that time I'll check on the progress and help to make the project banners and such. ;)

Level 14
Nice Screenies. A very fresh idea as well. Never thought of that. Good luck on the project. I'm abit busy lately. But I'll be free when it's December. Perhaps that time I'll check on the progress and help to make the project banners and such. ;)
thank you for your offering. hopefully I'm able to release early alpha version on this month so people at least able to test it.

Level 13
Of course, it's good, you don't know me?? I'am LembidiZ....
I'am share that DOTA 2 model's first then they inspired to RIP more....
But why you don't using DOTA 2 Trees??
HERE or HERE
I know this is Alpha.... Then use DOTA 2 UI..... Oh that is Pro_SoZai ( AL0NE ) Who make the first DOTA 2 icon....
Use THIS icon's....
Since that tree are big, just the trees, don't use bushes -..-
Oh if you wanna use Spell'z Effect'z, just goes THIS
Oh the map is big size @.@ ( Look at minimap )

Last edited:
Level 14
Of course, it's good, you don't know me?? I'am LembidiZ....
I'am share that DOTA 2 model's first then they inspired to RIP more....
But why you don't using DOTA 2 Trees??
HERE or HERE
I know this is Alpha.... Then use DOTA 2 UI..... Oh that is Pro_SoZai ( AL0NE ) Who make the first DOTA 2 icon....
Use THIS icon's....
Since that tree are big, just the trees, don't use bushes -..-
Oh if you wanna use Spell'z Effect'z, just goes THIS
Oh the map is big size @.@ ( Look at minimap )

oh, good thing then. lol

thank you for the links. hmm actually I don't intend to use any dota 2 doodads. the mesh size is big and has huge numbers of poly. so I think I'd rather use another resources or even personal custom made for doodads. I only intend to use hero models and creeps since their size can be cutted drastically after reducing keyframes on each animation. as for icons, I actually can convert them by myself from official dota 2 site. lol I aim for below 4 mb map size on 1st early release.

Level 14
yeah, there will be some repeatable quest on early release. 1st version will feature 1 dungeon with Roshan there as a boss. still thinking about the dungeon concept for Roshan though, since in Dota 2 he isn't simply a golem anymore. :/

Level 14
Haha yeah, Or.... The great story is on they Comics
Read HERE
So cool comics @.@
And you can imagine how cool on there @.@ P.S: I love Lyralei @.@

interesting story, they really had a marvelous artists there. I think I'll include Drow Ranger on early version after I've seeing her stunning look there. lol
Roshan entrance on the comic looks awesome as well!

Level 14
Hoho, i hope so, add Meepo too, and Clockwerk @.@ those are my favourite heroes ;) ;)
Well, about the big file, you could make it to Single Players too.... :/ :/

hmm I never intend to include them both, but let's see. and it wouldn't be orpg anymore if it's only for single player - which is would be lack of fun. lol

anyway, here's another 2 new preview screenshots.

DOTA2ORPG-WIP-RadiantForestShopkeeper.jpg

DOTA2ORPG-WIP-RadiantForest2.jpg

PS: Does anyone could give me a concept suggestion for Roshan dungeon? any feedback is really appreciated. was tried for magmaish one but ended up doesn't fit at all.

Level 14
Well if you can make some more complex terrains, I can suggest making a terrain like this one. (this screeny was made on the world editor)

76003d1266779797-showcase-de-factos-terrain-screenshots-arf_003.jpg

I actually doesn't into placing numbers of doodads in a pathway on a playable map for some reasons, instead - I'd try to make custom tile that able to bend well with the terrain theme. but the concept on screenshot looks interesting, thank you very much for the suggestion.

Level 12
I like the Roshan lair. :D nice progress mate. btw, I click your sig and your other maps in progress are very nicely done. :thumbs_up: anyway, here's a project banner for the main thread. Hope you like it. ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• dota2orpg.png
    dota2orpg.png
    242.6 KB · Views: 2,396
Level 14
The models look so awesome, keep it up! :)
thank you, the compliment should goes to Valve for those dota 2 heroes and creeps models.

I like the Roshan lair. :D nice progress mate. btw, I click your sig and your other maps in progress are very nicely done. :thumbs_up: anyway, here's a project banner for the main thread. Hope you like it. ;)
attachment.php
thank you very much. you actually don't have to do that though, I'm fine enough with the current simple minimalist one as banner. :) +rep

about the roshan lair, I really can't image the whole area, you might want to take a farther screenshot.
placed unit for size comparison.
RoshanLairFull.jpg

Level 14
Why lair?? It should just like real DotA ( Cliff or Lake Cliffed )
well, because open role playing game would be better with a dungeon. and roshan does fit as a dungeon boss role. I don't intend to make something "total copycat" and looks like the actual dota 2, that's what fanmade are for - to make something based from your own imagination on the game that you loved. if I want to create something totally similar like in dota 2, I would rather play the actual game.

Level 14
Humm.... Okay it's nice too on dungeon, but how big creature that live in dungeon @.@
It drop Aegis Of Immortal?? @.@
if you mean dungeon creature size comparison with the hero, here you go.
DOTA2-ORPG-DungeonEnemySizeComparison.jpg

aegis of immortal actually has the same effect as ankh of reincarnation - which is a typical item that used in orpg. I would like to make aegis of immortal as rare item dropped from roshan, but it has reincarnation ability with cooldown instead of only a single charge.

Level 5
This looks pretty promising...
Want the whole Dota community to help out? Or maybe even valve...

anyways... you don't necessarily need to use all the heroes... You can however use some of them as bosses or NPCs.

Goodluck +rep and subscribing.

Level 14
Updated the 1st page.

Here's an early 2 minutes video for test gameplay preview in the game. Sorry for bad quality, I've compressed the video for lesser size. I haven't made the radiant city yet that suppose to be the starting area. Currently making quests and starting city terrain.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Nobody says EVERYTHING has to be ready on early release, you could make 1/4 of the map then and the later as you progress ( like Kobas and SotP)

Level 14
Those crystals don't fit with the rest, maybe try using some green\light blue ones. Anyway gj!
well, I was thought of using a red colored one but I think it isn't bad to use the purple one that already used in roshan dungeon for saving map size on early release, and when I tried to see it in the game, it doesn't really looks that bad.
CrystalForestTest.jpg

by the way, thanks for the feedback, I'll try with the green or light blue as you suggest and post screenshot for color bend comparison later.

I think I'd say use blue/purple trees. :ogre_haosis:
lol. did you read my mind? I was thought for a purple tree and dark green tile in the future update after alpha release.

Really cool idea... a nice take into the DotA lore... I hope you can get a cool custom UI for it... XD...

please don't forget techies would you??? :)

btw, can you merge those double posts? XD
thank you very much. I personally think that night elf UI is already simply looks classy between other three, so custom UI wouldn't be necessary. oh, and sorry for double post, it was meant for an update bump. no spam purpose intended. lol

Level 14
I truly never meant for a double post, but here is the last sneak peek of area terrain before early alpha is released for anyone who interested. since I will be a busy bee next week for a real life work stuff, I'll try to get the project done this week. as I was said on the 1st place that I'm trying to make a quick development for early alpha release instead of making postponement.
DOTA2ORPG-WIP-RadiantVillage.jpg

note: if in the end I'm not able to make it before deadline, I'm not really sure how long I would postpone the project due to my limited of free time I could spend because of work stuff.

Last edited:
Level 16
One thing I noticed after watching the video: the long-ass cooldowns. You're making an (O)RPG map, right? Then your spells should be spammable, to make the game fun and interesting. So far from the 150 seconds of the video, it's ~100 seconds only boring basic attacking the creeps. I understand that DotA uses those infinite cooldowns (one of the key problems, and also one of the reasons why I never played that...), but an RPG mao is different. You should take this into consideration.

Level 14
One thing I noticed after watching the video: the long-ass cooldowns. You're making an (O)RPG map, right? Then your spells should be spammable, to make the game fun and interesting. So far from the 150 seconds of the video, it's ~100 seconds only boring basic attacking the creeps. I understand that DotA uses those infinite cooldowns (one of the key problems, and also one of the reasons why I never played that...), but an RPG mao is different. You should take this into consideration.
thanks for the feedback. spam-sort of spell isn't actually my type, so I made the cd basically around 20 with 10 levels each, unlike the original one which is only 4. if you have better cd range suggestion, let me know.

and I intend for a typical hack and slash sort of gameplay eversince I got the idea. beside, I only plan to made a quick development for this map. just for fun of two weeks of october boredom. so my focus for early release is generally on graphic instead of on coding part.

Level 12
I am really wondering, isn't their some sort of copyright problem here? I love the look of the models and as a Dota player myself I really support this project though.

Anyways I'm a bit worried about the fun factor of this game. In DotA landing e.g. a shackleshot on two heroes is a cool thing, but if this spell is in an RPG, well how funny or hard is it to land on two creeps? You might want to 'buff' the spells in some visual way and also change them a little.

Anyways good luck and include Queen of Pain please. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.