• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Doodad Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I want to be able to change the direction of buildings in Warcraft but I know you cant do it individually.
So I want to stack dummy buildings with doodads to simulate the effect.

How can I create a building that can be selected with no model? I tried something already and I followed a dummy unit tutorial and of course I cant select the building that is stacked with the doodad.

The end result will be a doodad that can be clicked on and used like a building. Is this possible and can anyone tell me what Object Editor things to change to make the building invisible but still clickable with doodad stacked on top of it?

Level 21
first of all check this out: How to make buildings face a direction

If none of those work for you, I would suggest just using a model that is hardly visible and shrink it down to the minimum possible size, but give it a large selection circle. then stack the doodad with the model you want on top of it. You will of course have to tinker with this to get the birth and death animations stacked right.

Level 4
I looked at the link and I dont think any of those will work.

I tried doing what you said but I dont know what "hardly visible" to use. I was using the "-" path to create a no model building and I stacked it with the barn model. The selection circle was bigger then the barn but I could only select the building If I drag selected the whole barn. The building does not need a birth and death animation because they are not going to be built, just interacted with.

Thank you for the suggestion and I hope to hear more ideas on how to get this idea working.

Level 21
for my dummies I think I use one of the missile models which is pretty small to begin with (maybe a troll axe?) and scale it down to the minimum. I don't know about selection bc i usually want it to be locusted anyways, but if that is model dependant than maybe just use a slightly smaller building model inside the building so it will get selected easily but still be concealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.