• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Does This count as a skin

Does it count as a skin

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I made a lego tauren skin but i do not know if this counts as a skin because i dont know how to add alpha chanels in Gimp so i need to know does it count as a skin in .tga tks and awnser
:EDIT ok i have uploaed jpg look at it i had to legoize everything but to get it to work:infl_thumbs_up:

Attachments

• IMG_0013.tga
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • Lego Tauren Chieftain.JPG
    Lego Tauren Chieftain.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Level 6
You should sort the lego bricks by color and then use each color for a specific part of your skin. For example black bricks for the eyes and orange bricks for the fur.

But it's a great idea! ;) I like that.

In addition to that... A screenshot your skins texture would be good.

Level 19
Looks like a random picture you're using wrapping on a model. In this case lego bricks.
But gotta admit it's your best skin so far.

Maybe you should use your mouse more often instead of only using ctrl, c and v.

Looks more like you used a third-party filter such as this or a weird filter trick like this.

But if you did freehanded the lego piece and then duplicated and placed them like puzzle pieces and alter some pieces's colours, the you've pretty much wasted your time.

The main problem with making a lego-style on skins is that most wc3 models have tedious wraps, which will make the execution look really nasty.

Last edited:
Level 19
This is OBVIOUSLY a filter. Like, real obvious. And both DvO and GnoobSauce have pointed out where you got it.

This comes to the point where I wonder; how many times can someone get negative rep before he gets banned?:hohum:

hmmm I bet you could arrange and take a picture of actual legos and use it as a skin (could be a cool premise basing a skin of an actual photo of something).

The only real argument I see suporting pie for using/not using a filter is that the color is so way out of what it originally was (and not just a simple color change, many of them just look completely random in areas other then the face) in many places when a filter would at least preserve the original image's color/shapes the best it can. -But of course a few bucket fills before filtering it could accomplish this (I don't particularly like the color scheme on it, it just seems too random).

Btw - I would say they weren't wrong - you currently are on fire in the eyes of many users (This was a cool idea, a lego skin, but your going to want to put more effort into it then simply adding a filter)

Does it count as a skin if it is in tga

It wont function in Warcraft III unless it's converted to .blp.

Ok your right about that but it would take like 5 days to draw enierly but I drew about 30

You should try drawing like 5 or so different bricks and CNP'ing those. Next time at least... Don't bother wasting time and redoing it. xP

Attachments

• IMG_0013.zip
    122 bytes · Views: 50
Level 4
You should change the alpha channels in the tga file and later convert to blp. The blp is just a compressed file that is used for the warcraft 3 textures. If I remember correctly, tga do work in wc3, but the filesize are considerably bigger than blp and there isn´t any benefict for them.

That model doesn´t support Team Color in the head unless you edit the model.

That "skin" sucks btw.

Damn, no one listens? :/

It is a filter. The filter used was pointed out previously. So, no, this crap doesn't count as a skin.

Yes we do understand that it simply is a filter - doesn't mean it can't be improved to the point where it's actually Pie's work (i.e. it's colored to match the actual hero and arranged so it raps nicely)

Level 6
Uhm. There was a rule against filtered textures at the Hive, but it's just.. Gone now. :/

I think you'll find that view is long outdated. Filters are a part of graphic art just as much as the paint brush tool is. You try working in a Graphic Design position without ever using filters and see how far behind you are on your workload, unless of course your some sort of super human artist.

Fair this skin is taking the piss a bit but your comments about using filters are as unjustified as the rule itself is. Some filters just make things quicker while giving the same results, they shouldn't be so frowned upon. Some people just have lives and don't want to, or cant, spend 15 hundred hours in front of the pc making a 100% freehanded skin.

It's one thing having patience, it's entirely another to ignore progress and efficiency.

Level 15
I think you'll find that view is long outdated. Filters are a part of graphic art just as much as the paint brush tool is. You try working in a Graphic Design position without ever using filters and see how far behind you are on your workload, unless of course your some sort of super human artist.

Fair this skin is taking the piss a bit but your comments about using filters are as unjustified as the rule itself is. Some filters just make things quicker while giving the same results, they shouldn't be so frowned upon. Some people just have lives and don't want to, or cant, spend 15 hundred hours in front of the pc making a 100% freehanded skin.

It's one thing having patience, it's entirely another to ignore progress and efficiency.

No. Most professionals use custom brushes and texture overlays. Filters blow.

Level 6
I'm kinda curious of the rules now, I know you can't upload a simple filter, but would it be approvable if you use a filter and your own works free hand? - Like if you used the filter in a way that it complements what your trying to do

Probably not, as that makes sense...

And Antihero, do you work in the graphics design industry? General question, as everyone I know that does graphic design as a career including a close friend with a degree in graphic art and typography, who designs custom cars for some of the richest people in England use filters to save time...

Level 4
Yeah, but custom brushes and textures give infinitely better results than filters. I tend to make my own textures for my works, which gives it a slightly personal touch, which filters definitely don´t, since anyone can use them with a few tutorials. That´s very important in the graphic design business, you should always differenciate yourself from the bunch, your works should have personality by their own.

And filters look terrible in this low poly models anyway, the only one useful is the sharpen.

Status
Not open for further replies.