• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Does SC2 use .mdx model files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Because it is what WC3 uses. I figured I could import some of the WC3 resources and play WC3 with all of the blur and good graphics.

Just because it'll be the same format doesn't mean that it'll have the same support. I'm sure there will be new ribbons/effects which will surely crash WC3. You'll probably be able to import WC3 models into SC2 though.
--donut3.5--

Level 2
All sc2 models contain much more complex functions than simple wc3 models, ranging from different texture maps, IK bones (completely new animation system) and such. I am 99% sure it will not be mdx. Sc2 isnt based on the wc3 engine, its a completely new one.

Wise words. Basically, wc3 and SC2 use totally different shit, FK vs IK, normal maps + diffuse + specular vs diffuse, physics, etc...

Level 27
All sc2 models contain much more complex functions than simple wc3 models, ranging from different texture maps, IK bones (completely new animation system) and such. I am 99% sure it will not be mdx. Sc2 isnt based on the wc3 engine, its a completely new one.

Well, .mdx is just a way of compressing text into a format readable by a Blizzard .dll. TDR mentioned that they tend to use .mdx in all of their recent games, so I don't see why not. I'm not sure if this means they'll be compatible, I know for sure SC2 models in WC3 will not be, but vice versa *may* work.
--donut3.5--

Status
Not open for further replies.