• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do you prefer this to TESH?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Awesome Syntax Highlighting:

Starting with moyac's great concept of JASS highlighting in Notepad++, I decided to complete the project with the full blizzard.j and common.j natives and variables and what-not.

Notepad++ (freeware)
BribeText (language pack)

Code:
How to install (kinda copied from moyac's install tips):
[B]First download and install Notepad++ in your PC.[/B]

1. Type %APPDATA%\Notepad++ in Run box, then Enter;
   a new folder will open.
2. The zip file contains a file named "userDefineLang.xml".
3. Extract that file into the opened folder.
4. Launch Notepad++

In order to test it, open a JASS file, select the menu [I]Language > BribeText[/I]. You should see vJass code properly highlighted.

Two things need to be configured, I've discovered.

Click View -> User-Defined Dialogue
-> Select from dropdown menu BribeText
-> Keywords List Tab -> 3rd Group -> check "prefix mode"
-> Comment & Number Tab -> Comment Line -> check "treat symbol as keyword"

Here is a peek at what I've done (it's kind of a mix between Java and JassCraft).

editor.jpg

Features that are way better than TESH:
• Takes 1 second to open, save and close.
.structhighlighting
• Quick line duplication (Ctrl+D)
• Smart highlighting (click a word and it highlights every like word in the code)
• IMO more aesthetically pleasing
• Way better Find&Replace utility
• Highlights every single common.j and blizzard.j function.
• Can add your own words to highlight
• "Compare to Last Save" option (and a built-in SVN component I haven't figured out)
• Lots more; Notepad++ is rich, just crazy rich with features I've yet to discover. I hate using NewGen to edit because of the capabilities this has.

Cons:
• Not able to check syntax (whoo copy+paste it in).
• Can't fold (but Notepad's folding looks silly anyway as it hides the endblock)
• You have to download a (very small) .zip folder and install Notepad++.

Last edited:
Level 11
I'd say I know pretty much everything about vJass (although I switched to zinc now) and I barely make any mistakes when coding, but I just go ahead and test the map when I finished a section, just to make sure everything is working correctly or whether some variables need to be changed in order to make it better.

Also, when I'm developing a map, I do some triggering and 10 minutes later I continue making more units in the OE / continue with the terrain or whatever.

Level 11
I myself much prefer coding outside of the editor. Most "elite" coders (as in, most of the wc3c people) do too.

You're elite because you code things for Warcraft III outside of Warcraft?

Do you get ANY advantages from that? A map loads within 20 seconds for me - I can live with that right away.
I can only think of disadvantages like no actual syntax checker or the ability to test the code directly.

Level 22
Is this one similar to the common highlighting used by TESH and hive's [code=jass][/code] tags? I can't check this out because it doesn't exist anymore.

Moyack's highlighting is good, but I prefer the one used by TESH because I got used to it.

Moyack's highlighting:
sample-jpg.258325

EDIT: Nvm, I found a more recent xml user defined highlighting that matches the standard ones.

Attachments

• Sample.JPG
    Sample.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Level 22
What doesn't exist?
The BribeText link to a pastebin.

Moyack made his own syntax highlighter? Either I wasn't aware of that or you are mixing it up with lfh's TESH implemented in his newest JNGP.
From the looks of this, it seems moyack made it himself. It's not the one used by TESH though, as mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to use the highlighting used by TESH for Notepad++ (which I later found here).

Status
Not open for further replies.