• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Do you like the Custom Map browser?

Do you enjoy SC2's custom map browser?

• No! I wish it was a revamped version of WC3 and SC1's!

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • No! I wish it was exactly like WC3 and SC1's!

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Yes! It's absolutely amazing!

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Yes! I like it but there could probably be a few tweaks.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • I don't play custom maps or I don't know.

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hurro everyone, it's been a while since i've visited Hive because of my WoW PvP addiction, but this thought has been circling around in my mind.

Do you enjoy the Custom Map browser for SC2?

I was a huge WC3 custom map player; Island Troll Tribes, Movie Maker, DOBRP, SOTDRP, maze games, tower defense, you name it. The ports to set up for hosting, while some may disagree, was relatively easy. And if you couldn't host, there were plenty of clans that had host bots.

I won't go on about how I loved wc3, and how I grew up with it and just talking about it brings back nostalgic memories playing Vampirism and many other maps that weren't quite famous but yet very fun. Of course, as DOTA became more popular, other games became a lot more difficult to find. That was one thing I hated.

My personal opinion on the new SC2 browser, is I just don't like it at all. The first two pages of the popular maps are the only maps that get played by the general public; saying that people play maps on the second page is really pushing it. Sure there's the Fun or Not option that helps shape up the upcoming maps. The upcoming maps section? Maybe a handful of people even dare glare there lol. I'll sit in my favorite map's lobby for a good 30 minutes to an hour while I look at lolcats or something to find that maybe one or two people joined and left instantly.

The only custom maps being played, are the ones on the first page, and Blizzard's maps. Weren't they thinking about suggesting maps to have a price??? I would not pay for a single map okay maybe i'll pay for Mafia. The Mafia map is a great custom map, but it gets old playing it over and over *repeat over 9000 times* and over.

Now! I would like to hear everyone else's opinions. I hope I covered all my thoughts, although there may have been some parts missing. Please leave a vote and your decision in a comment.

TL;DR do you enjoy the custom map browser for sc2?

EDIT: It seems as though there is an open map list in the current beta version for SC2 (it actually has been there for a while). Still isn't out on live at the time of this edit, but I guess now is the appropriate time to say "took you long enough Blizzard."

Last edited:
Level 22
While there are some imporved things, overall bnet 2.0's features need to be like wc3's or revamped, not just the custom games screen. Many of the things were changed for the worse, not the better. You can see that in their goal to call everything 'new', they gave synonyms in the triggers and abilities of exactly the same abilities and names in war3 just their synonyms to be 'different' when they could have as well left them the same for easier orientation.

Level 22
Some time ago there was a title 'Blizzard to add battle net tags to your account' - I thought 'team tags finally?' Result: No, just another set of numbers for easier find of the person.

In other words, give us 100 needless and unimportant features please, go round all important ones..

For HotS I herd their own Dota ladder? Like LOL? Master League Dota - PRO! Wow im just speculating but if such thing were ever made Ladder and this bnet would be a confirmed joke.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Blizzard has already said that Blizzard DotA is being targeted as part of SC2. Much like LoL and DotA2, SC2 will have its own standalone AoS.

Will it be popular and worth the effort? We can only wait and see but I have a feeling it will not be any worse than LoL.

Level 19
I heard they're fixing it in HotS, and allowing players to have a choice to browse through the Popularity System or Normal System anytime, which seems to me like a great idea:)

Level 27
Not it's not fun at all like this, with war3 it was much more clear which games were hosted... now you gotta click and hope.

Plus there are all arcade map thingies in the top 20 or so, I do like a couple of them but I would like to see a map that can only be made in sc2 and not in war3, yeah i know some use a custom interface and all but they don't use a lot of new things gameplay wise i believe.

Level 7
I am very disappointed with the SC2 custom map experience so far, not just the popularity system but also a lack of creativity on the part of sc3 map makers. Almost every map ive played seems to evolve around killing wave after wave of zergs, I'm so bored of fighting zerg.

But saying that I have only managed to play games on the first or second pages so maybe all the "niche" maps just arnt getting played.

At this rate I think I will prolly go back to wc3.

Level 1
Instead of creating a new thread i like to ask this "What do you think of the Arcade Beta then" We are all modders here, or most and the Arcade is really only made for us so far. I believe it's the right way they choose and is much better system then the current.

Screenshot:
screenshot2012062423324.jpg

Level 22
How is the arcade any better? Looks like its still based off the top played maps which is the same problem as the current system.

You can now choose the currently hosted maps, that is currently opened with at least 1 player.

Funny 'most play 4v4' ye because the better players are less compared, who cares, once you select your type, it will stay like that, I suppose. Open Games is the button that can make it like war3 only seeing the hosted currently.

The rest are tons of useless features that no one needs like 'Fun or not', it's clear ppl wanted like war3 system, not extra things no one watches.

Quick match isn't 'quick' anymore. I miss a button that directly does it like war3's crossed swords.

Last edited:
Level 8
I agree what most people seem to want is a simple and easy system instead blizzard waste dev time coming up with all this crap.

At least we'll have an Open Games tab now, I couldn't care less for the other tabs (and I agree, they did not need to waste time implementing the other tabs) so hopefully word will reach out and mappers will start mapping again, and players will start playing customs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.