• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Do We See Things Differently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Have you ever thought about, maybe we see colors differently?
For example, my green may be your red. So I may see grass as the same
color as you see blood.
The reason we wouldn't be able to tell is because we grew up with it and there's
no way (yet) to see through each other's eyes, or in this case through each
other's brains.
I say through each other's brains because it's obviously not the eyes that make
the difference (if there is a difference), because when someone gets an eye
transplant they don't see different colors in both eyes.

So what do you think? And please explain yourself, don't just say "No, I disagree,
that's dumb, you're dumb", explain why you think what you think.

And please, if you know the answer, if you know that the idea
that we see different colors is true or false, please say so, and explain
how you know.
Thanks.

Level 11
We only see wavelengths of light. Our minds interpret these wavelengths as "colors". With no absolute frame of reference, its impossible to know if someone's green is anothers.

It sounds kind of interesting but it really isn't revolutionary or exciting. The basic relationships between different colors are the same for everyone (see: HSV), so it really is kind of irrelevant.

Level 10
Yeah I've thought about it before, it's actually a pretty interesting concept even though it's most likely false. What'd be even more interesting would be if people do perceive colors differently, why do they normally convey similar emotions?

Maybe it's the way people use them and not the way people perceive them that
makes them convey similar emotions.

Level 17
I have thought about this, and seeming as how we see wavelengths of light thus it could happen that at least one person in this universe sees a 'river of blood' where I see a 'river of water'.

Level 22
color as you see blood.
The reason we wouldn't be able to tell is because we grew up with it and there's
other's brains.

So what do you think? And please explain yourself, don't just say "No, I disagree,

how you know.
Thanks.

This very same question was once discussed by me and one of my best friends. Though I personally think that it's not true.

Level 20
I won't say I know the answer because I know nothing about how the eye actually translates perceived wavelength to perceived colour, but I'd imagine there is some continuous translation... What I mean is, there is no such thing as blue, red, green, etc; all discrete colours are just plucked from a continuous spectrum.

That said, I'm not sure how someone's eye can fuck up something like continuous wavelength translation to make colour a completely subjective experience. Also, I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but yeah.

Level 11
color as you see blood.
other's brains.

how you know.
Thanks.

well i am in fact color blind... so my colors are a bit stranger then probably yours.. like some colors look the same to me... i get mixed up with brown and red sometimes... and yellow and green... and especially blue and purple

Level 15
I imagine that there are some rare cases where eyes don't work properly but I for one don't recall ever having someone give me a blue marker when I ask for a red one.

I think that with the eyes, any sort of mutation or damage can be done to them to fuck up how they translate images and wavelengths to your brain, but for the most part I imagine all humans do it the same except for some rare cases.

This brings me to another question: what if there are things that our eyes can't see at all so we just "see right through them"?

Level 20
En_Fuego said:
This brings me to another question: what if there are things that our eyes can't see at all so we just "see right through them"?
Your eyes only process whatever information is sent to them. Suppose there is some object right in front of you that you can't see. It still blocks the light behind it from ever reaching your eye. If anything, you'd perceive the object as being black.

No, there is not a color that we haven't discovered yet.

Level 27
I tough about that once too. I actually tough that people have slightly different sight and see colors a bit other way, I mean like one sees it dark blue, another sees it as even darker blue... while other has some gren in it... well you got the point.

But no, all our eyes and brain parts responsible for sight are too similar to have differences like that...

Level 30
Nearly everybody likes blue. That should mean it's percepted the same way for each person, right?
But I'm guessing everybody has his own deviation from the "ideal" color perception but that'd differ for each eye (even your own 2 eyes don't see exactly the same), I think, because of the amounts and areas of the different perceptors in the eyes which differ from person to person.
Something could go wrong when the info gets transfered by the nerves, though. But I'd call that an abnormality.
I have no idea what I'm talking about except for the eye perceptor part because I learned that in school :3

Also, why'd you think people can see our red? Maybe they have a complete different spectrum of colors we can't even imagine o:

Level 12
IMO :

1) If it was true, it wouldn't change anything : the fact we have no obvious clue means that it doesn't matter. What matters in the color is what it represents - a particular red suggests blood, or a particular blue suggests sky - and we know this representation can differ from one person to another (it depends on culture and personal experience).

2) A color may appear more or less drab and slightly change after for one single person. I guess the differences between each one's view is not more important than the differences between the same guy's view at two different moments.

Level 10
I imagine that there are some rare cases where eyes don't work properly but I for one don't recall ever having someone give me a blue marker when I ask for a red one.

I think that with the eyes, any sort of mutation or damage can be done to them to fuck up how they translate images and wavelengths to your brain, but for the most part I imagine all humans do it the same except for some rare cases.

That's interesting, do you mean like in a different dimension?
Or do you mean that the light just passes through them?

Level 5
More interesting than whether our colours are different is how we could tell if they were...

If your red looks to you the same as my green looks to me, but we both agree that light at 650 nm is "red," how could we know that we indeed see things differently?

I'd love to know an experiment that could determine this.

Level 10
I can't really imagine that we could determine this with any kind of experiment, but what do I know. I'd also like to know if we could, and see the result in that case.
I'm trying to imagine that we could take "impression photographs"; pictures that were comparable and fully subjective. Maybe then we'd be able to see if Person A's "impression photograph" of a bowl of fruit had different colors from Person B's "impression photograph" of the same bowl of fruit. But this is getting more abstract than what even seems quantifiable in real life, in my opinion.

Though, I do not think it's interesting in itself whether we see colors differently, but an answer might reveal more about the human brain. Ever had one of those "if I was only a scientist in this area!"-moments?

Please don't make threads like this.

[reaction="http://images.memegenerator.net/Troll-Face/File/1030/Troll-Face.jpg"]Makes more sense then your thread about moving objects with your mind[/reaction]

I can't really imagine that we could determine this with any kind of experiment, but what do I know. I'd also like to know if we could, and see the result in that case.

It'd probably be better to go straight to brain activity and see if different people's brains react differently to the same color, of course finding out what part of the brain does an exact color would take some time though.

Level 14
It's possible we do see colors differently. We're drilled to know the colors from birth, and thus are unable to really know what color is what since we're told what to call it. What I see as red may be what you see as green and another as yellow. Since we're all taught color names at a young age, it would be difficult to determine whether we all see colors the same way, or to establish a frame of reference.

Sounds like it could be an execellent experiment, but how would you go about running it? We can't use machines, since they only record 'actual' colors we see already. We'd need a way to get the information the other person sees as it's interpreted by their brain, without our brain 'ruining' it by interpreting it. This may never be possible to determine.

Great, now I'll be thinking about this all week...

//\\oo//\\

Level 4

Of course there are colors we can't see. Like Infrared. Snakes can see ínfrared but we can't.

I think this is false. I dont think our brain reads the wavelenght of the light different from each person. And besides it dosen't matter :grin:

Level 19
once read somewhere that a few hundred years ago someone wrote that a rainbow has eights colors and that today people don't see the 8ths color anymore

I thought of an experiment
if you wear glasses which flip the world upside down the brain addapts to it after aproximately 2 weeks and it looks like normal
so if you wear colored glasses for a long time it might change how you see things
after wearing one of these redblue glasses for 3d vision one eye sees more red and one sees more blue but that might just be something else

I think the way we see colors is the same but how they appear to us might be different

Level 10
Just want to say that I don't think anyone knows how exactly we picture things in our
minds (with our eyes closed), so I don't think anyone can really say for sure if we see
colors differently or not, because they don't know what we're seeing in our minds. If
there is one day some sort of device that can scan your mind or connect to it and bring
the imaginations and dreams out on a screen, then we could know.

Imagine looking at your own imagination on a TV screen. Wild.

Level 22
A blind person cannot see. They use canes to make sure they don't hit anything, and some have specially trained dogs which can make them go the right way. Some even make special sounds which echo off the surfaces around them to give them some idea about what's near them, but this is hard. Blind people do not see like the dude in the Daredevil movie.

Level 19
A blind person cannot see. They use canes to make sure they don't hit anything, and some have specially trained dogs which can make them go the right way. Some even make special sounds which echo off the surfaces around them to give them some idea about what's near them, but this is hard. Blind people do not see like the dude in the Daredevil movie.

that's why I wrote ""looks"" and not "looks"
they must have an idea of spatial awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.