1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Do We See Things Differently?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DeadZero, Dec 21, 2010.

1. DeadZero

DeadZero

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There are a few very weird phenomena in space.
    I wouldn't be too surprised if something like that was on Earth.

2. Zarathustra

Zarathustra

Resources:
    Resources:
    More interesting than whether our colours are different is how we could tell if they were...

If your red looks to you the same as my green looks to me, but we both agree that light at 650 nm is "red," how could we know that we indeed see things differently?

I'd love to know an experiment that could determine this.

3. Hugget Sukker

Hugget Sukker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can't really imagine that we could determine this with any kind of experiment, but what do I know. I'd also like to know if we could, and see the result in that case.
    I'm trying to imagine that we could take "impression photographs"; pictures that were comparable and fully subjective. Maybe then we'd be able to see if Person A's "impression photograph" of a bowl of fruit had different colors from Person B's "impression photograph" of the same bowl of fruit. But this is getting more abstract than what even seems quantifiable in real life, in my opinion.

Though, I do not think it's interesting in itself whether we see colors differently, but an answer might reveal more about the human brain. Ever had one of those "if I was only a scientist in this area!"-moments?

4. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please don't make threads like this.

5. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Makes more sense then your thread about moving objects with your mind

It'd probably be better to go straight to brain activity and see if different people's brains react differently to the same color, of course finding out what part of the brain does an exact color would take some time though.

6. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    That actually was someone else with using the same avatar.
    :ogre_hurrhurr:

7. DeadZero

DeadZero

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Please don't comment on threads like this with "Please don't make threads like this.", it doesn't help. And it's not contributing.

8. En_Fuego

En_Fuego

Resources:
    Resources:
    Imo this thread was okay. I think the original topic was a little silly, but it opened up to a broader discussion and there's more that be can discussed about it.

:goblin_yeah:

9. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's possible we do see colors differently. We're drilled to know the colors from birth, and thus are unable to really know what color is what since we're told what to call it. What I see as red may be what you see as green and another as yellow. Since we're all taught color names at a young age, it would be difficult to determine whether we all see colors the same way, or to establish a frame of reference.

Sounds like it could be an execellent experiment, but how would you go about running it? We can't use machines, since they only record 'actual' colors we see already. We'd need a way to get the information the other person sees as it's interpreted by their brain, without our brain 'ruining' it by interpreting it. This may never be possible to determine.

Great, now I'll be thinking about this all week...

//\\oo//\\

10. TheWarchief

TheWarchief

Resources:
    Resources:
    Of course there are colors we can't see. Like Infrared. Snakes can see ínfrared but we can't.

I think this is false. I dont think our brain reads the wavelenght of the light different from each person. And besides it dosen't matter :grin:

11. D4RK_G4ND4LF

D4RK_G4ND4LF

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    once read somewhere that a few hundred years ago someone wrote that a rainbow has eights colors and that today people don't see the 8ths color anymore

I thought of an experiment
    if you wear glasses which flip the world upside down the brain addapts to it after aproximately 2 weeks and it looks like normal
    so if you wear colored glasses for a long time it might change how you see things
    after wearing one of these redblue glasses for 3d vision one eye sees more red and one sees more blue but that might just be something else

I think the way we see colors is the same but how they appear to us might be different

12. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lies!

13. DeadZero

DeadZero

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just want to say that I don't think anyone knows how exactly we picture things in our
    minds (with our eyes closed), so I don't think anyone can really say for sure if we see
    colors differently or not, because they don't know what we're seeing in our minds. If
    there is one day some sort of device that can scan your mind or connect to it and bring
    the imaginations and dreams out on a screen, then we could know.

Imagine looking at your own imagination on a TV screen. Wild.

14. D4RK_G4ND4LF

D4RK_G4ND4LF

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    we need a blind person to tell is how the world "looks" like for him/her
    they need some kind of abstract idea of their environment in order to not collide with it I guess
    should be interesting and contribute to the topic

15. The Reborn Devil

The Reborn Devil

Resources:
    Resources:
    A blind person cannot see. They use canes to make sure they don't hit anything, and some have specially trained dogs which can make them go the right way. Some even make special sounds which echo off the surfaces around them to give them some idea about what's near them, but this is hard. Blind people do not see like the dude in the Daredevil movie.

16. D4RK_G4ND4LF

D4RK_G4ND4LF

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    that's why I wrote ""looks"" and not "looks"
    they must have an idea of spatial awareness