• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Disarm: Weaponless Model Creator

What feature(s) should Disarm get next?

• More than just weapons --> remove AND ADD any body part (head, leg, etc.)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • More than just weapons --> remove any body part (head, leg, etc.)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • "Add > Footman" button to add footman's weapon, etc.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Good as it is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other night I was noting how tons of people on the Simple Model Workshop request people use the Matrix Eater that I wrote to create weaponless models, and I felt like an excess of repeated work is a waste of time. So... I created "Disarm", a tool that can instantly produce a weaponless model for any unit you choose and save the model in ready-to-go MDX format.

I'm creating this thread because I think the tool is so nifty and simple as a one-night project that I'm considering trying to get it hosted as an official tool (however that works, still haven't actually done that with the Matrix Eater) and so I was curious if anybody wanted to test it / suggest things to it.

I've been quite busy, but I think if I have time since this program is finding and removing weapons it should be able to also add weapons from other units of your choosing, so you just push "peasant -> remove" and then "add -> footman" or something and it lops off the footman's sword and puts it on the peasant. Doesn't seem so unreasonable to me. Who votes I actually spend the time on that?
And what do you guys think of Disarm so far? Buggy? Useful? I had fun making it.

Disarm lets you choose models from either the World Editor Unit Type chooser:
attachment.php

Or from the Object Editor's Model Chooser
attachment.php

Known bugs:
- Disarm cannot open MDX files where the MDX includes capital letters, instead of "mdx".

Recently fixed bugs (try the new download!):
- Disarm used to corrupt session files used by the Matrix Eater, so that running one after the other forgot all program settings -- including Warcraft directory.
- Disarm used to delete all MDX files saved, but only after you closed Disarm

DOWNLOAD DISARM:
Use the link below or go to the Tools section where it will hopefully soon be approved!
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/disarm-v1-05-a-274778/?prev=org=1

See Thumbnails for a picture tutorial of how to use it:

Attachments

• Disarm1.png
    Disarm1.png
    169 KB · Views: 840
  • Disarm2.png
    Disarm2.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 2,348
  • Disarm3.png
    Disarm3.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 786
  • Disarm4.png
    Disarm4.png
    196 KB · Views: 934
  • Disarm5.png
    Disarm5.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 753
  • Disarm6.png
    Disarm6.png
    170.1 KB · Views: 858
  • Disarm7.png
    Disarm7.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 884
  • Disarm8.png
    Disarm8.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,389
  • Disarm9.png
    Disarm9.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 960
  • Disarm10.png
    Disarm10.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 754
  • DisarmV105.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Level 12
I've been quite busy, but I think if I have time since this program is finding and removing weapons it should be able to also add weapons from other units of your choosing, so you just push "peasant -> remove" and then "add -> footman" or something and it lops off the footman's sword and puts it on the peasant. Doesn't seem so unreasonable to me. Who votes I actually spend the time on that?

add a poll for it.
I vote yes :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Sorry about above comment as the tool is working fine. just it look funny and need trick around.

1. when it save model. it will save as name.mdx
2. when i close the tool , it change/convert name.mdx -> name.mdl
3. i'm importing the model to WE, however it must use name.mdx so name.mdl will fail!
4. the trick is after it save as name.mdx , i will copy it into another folder then close it. then i can have name.mdx not convert to name.mdl
5. then import the mdx.

one thing and yes, alway that weaponless unit does not have attach point to hand so it can wear weapon as attachment so it useless for me. maybe usefun for some game video. I tried with hand,left and hand,right attachment.

:(

Could you try to keep the attachment point so the weaponless model can attach a weapon?

Thanks!

So it did work for you? That is good to hear! :)
Are you saying that I do not need to fix anything? I'm glad to hear it, if it works!

Note: It saves MDX/MDL both, because I do not have a JAVA exporter to MDX format, so I run the converter when you save to make MDL -> MDX as it is saving. The program technically can only write an MDL.
(But MDL does not work in the editor; you are right.)

Edit: New updates in the downloadable version. Now supports rudimentary adding weapons from other models, as well as adding/removing any component that can be found in the model based on words that you type.
Note that these features could still use some tweaking.

Edit: @ngoc_viet08 Thank you for your reports -- indeed there was something very wrong with Disarm where it deleted all of the MDX files that you saved when you closed it, which was super annoying. Download the new version for a fix (MDX files no longer deleted on program exit!)!

Last edited:
Level 3
Hi,

Just download and testing to see the the delete name.mdx problem was solved! Now it's working successfully! thanks you for the fix!

I'll do more disargm weapon later and give you more feedback! Thanks for create this very useful tool and I would like to give credits when I'm making map!

Thanks! :)

Thank you for the feedback, and helping me to fix problems like that in the software :)

Now I just need to add some tweaking for the merger. I have a vision where I'd make 3 or 4 slider bars for x/y/z offset and scale when merging, but I haven't coded it up yet.

I also think the ability to make "weapon" models to go with the "weaponless" models would be really nice. You can kind of do that right now with the "Isolate" button, but it does not remove animations, nor center the model.

Edit: Made some silly little disarm tutorial videos:

Disarm Tutorial 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeE6v8RVDDk&feature=youtu.be

Disarm Tutorial 2
http://youtu.be/WRX9-4uTrhE

Last edited:
I think in the latest version, you can go up in the menus and hit something like "Remove Component" and type "hand" in a box and depending on what you hit in the menus you might be able to get rid of a weapon attached to the hand without removing the hand itself. It's been a while since I was deep in the code and thinking about it, though.

The latest version of Disarm used to always work on my computers, but does not work on my newest setup, and the Matrix Eater (from which I borrowed my own code to write Disarm) had the same problem. For those experiencing the Java exception when running Disarm, or the bug where you can only open one program that uses the wc3 installation at a time, I believe I have a solution for the Matrix Eater codebase that fixes both of these issues permanently, and I will try to migrate this bugfix into the code of Disarm when I get the time, then upload a new version.

Edit: The new version is up! Hope it fixes the java error for you guys!

Last edited:
Level 2
Does this tool work with WC3 Reforged? If not, is there going to be an update for the Reforged version?

Thanks.

Level 2
So the other night I was noting how tons of people on the Simple Model Workshop request people use the Matrix Eater that I wrote to create weaponless models, and I felt like an excess of repeated work is a waste of time. So... I created "Disarm", a tool that can instantly produce a weaponless model for any unit you choose and save the model in ready-to-go MDX format.

I'm creating this thread because I think the tool is so nifty and simple as a one-night project that I'm considering trying to get it hosted as an official tool (however that works, still haven't actually done that with the Matrix Eater) and so I was curious if anybody wanted to test it / suggest things to it.

And what do you guys think of Disarm so far? Buggy? Useful? I had fun making it.

Disarm lets you choose models from either the World Editor Unit Type chooser:
attachment.php

Or from the Object Editor's Model Chooser
attachment.php

Known bugs:
- Disarm cannot open MDX files where the MDX includes capital letters, instead of "mdx".

Recently fixed bugs (try the new download!):
- Disarm used to corrupt session files used by the Matrix Eater, so that running one after the other forgot all program settings -- including Warcraft directory.
- Disarm used to delete all MDX files saved, but only after you closed Disarm

DOWNLOAD DISARM:
Use the link below or go to the Tools section where it will hopefully soon be approved!
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/disarm-v1-05-a-274778/?prev=org=1

See Thumbnails for a picture tutorial of how to use it:

Does this Disarm Tool work with Reforged? If not will there be one that does? Or anyone know where I can download some unarmed models for an RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.