• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Director's Cut Horror Project - Dualism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
PROXY said:
I know what it is like playing Amnesia, as well as several other horror games, I'm quite shure you can't put that feeling into warcraft 3. Just think of the big UI, the control, it just removes all te horror from it.
It's possible to completely hide the interface, to make transparent any image or smallest number in each corner. Well, it's a little time consuming.
As a result you will receive only 2 black bars on screen.

I will agree with you about the control.

sonofjay said:
Also how is your map? I'm so amaze that you reduced the map size dramatically. I remember it more than 170mb or so last year.

Not this thread.

Level 16
@Jazz read the post above yours. Sverker said the sound will deliver the horror.

I don't quite find audio as arousing in this subject as video. I like to be aroused by visuals when it comes to my horror games, and the only arousal that really gets me going is the noise of RE4 chainsaw. That arouses me like nothing else, I jump up out of my chair and start screaming at my TV, all the while very much aroused at my game. So if you want me to be aroused by some arousing noises, put an arousing chainsaw unit with an arousing chainsaw sound in this arousing forest.

Level 14
Sounds are going to deliver 80% of the fear you will constantly have while playing. You will notice this as soon as the gameplay video is coming up.

We are not yet, if at all, revealing the horrors that the map will have. That is for yourself to find out. All that I can say is that most of you wont even finish this map due to it being too scary for you to play. If you played Amnesia you know this feeling.

I will wait for the video and then I will make a true picture about it like I already said. But I must sadly say to you I played Amnesia more than three times and it was not too scary for me. If you want to create something like Amnesia you will need a lot of sounds and music because it was just one of the main things of Amnesia which has created this survival atmosphere. Anyway I still wish you good luck with your project and ofcourse fun.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
It is a SP map, you cannot play this with anyone else than yourself. Also, I feel like I haven't updated you guys in quite some time.

Today I got the fire model needed for the candles. This means that I got all that I need in order to start making actual content. As soon as a small part of the content is done I will be releasing a video of my best friend playing the map in it's current state with webcam. This way I will be able to prove to you that this mod is going to be very scary even tho using the Warcraft3 engine.

The video will be uploaded to my youtube channel --> www.youtube.com/Sverk3rCraft among with my other videos.

After that video is released I am expecting the support to increase which makes me able to request some 2D art for the project as well as beginning to select Beta testers. Now as for the beta testers, these are not going to be picked randomly and I am only going to let ~15 people play the actual beta of Dualism. If you feel like you have supported this project, possibilities are that you will be rewarded with a beta spot.

Beta testers will also be able to play the actual map 1 week before anyone else. This means that after the map is finished, I am only going to release it to the beta testers, wait 1 week and then publish the map here on Hive.

Also, all beta testers will have the possibility to be featured on my youtube channel if wished to be so.

Sverkerman

Level 17
There is no sign in or counting in. If I feel like you are supporting the project chanses are that you will be able to beta test.

So if you want to beta test, keep supporting, spreading the word and one of the spots might be yours.

Level 14
If you need someone to help you out with photoshop, I'm here for you.
(However I won't be abled to be a full time 2D artist for your project, I've got my own projects and school to worry about first)

Also: Will this map have any puzzles?
And hopefully it'll have some scenes in which some kind of creature is chasing you ^.^?
Addrenaline pumping through your vains while you desperately try to figure a way out?
I hope you'll implement that kind of stuff, I love it :D

Keep up the good work :goblin_good_job:

Sverkerman

Level 17
@noob
I cannot explain how scary this map will be since there isn't any other Warcraft3 map to refer it to, this is a totally new kind of map which is also why I get so many questions about it. All I can say is that I've found a way to use the world editor that was yet to be discovered, this is a totally new kind of map in the making which I hope will bring future Warcraft3 maps to the next stage.

@Hashjie
Everything you mentioned there in that list of yours will be included inside the map.

The fire model which I got isn't really working tho so I'll have to find someone to make me a working one. I can still work on the terrain meanwhile tho so no worries so far.

Level 12
There was not one game that scared me. Ingame, there would be no possible creature or thing that would scare me, only if I had no power and had to run, save life. When I played Half-Life it was scary, because I could not attack the horrible faceless-like creature that chased me.

Sverkerman

Level 17
@noob You are obviously not taking Hive nor Warcraft3 in the same level of seriousness as me and many others are. You have no right to claim that my map isn't going to be scary, especially not after I clearly stated earlier in this thread that you can't judge it until the preview video of my friend playing it with webcam/live reaction is released. You sir takes "living up to my name" to a completely different level. I highly suggest that you wait with judging other peoples maps and work overall until they show you a full demonstration of their product.

@Animalpower First you state that "There was not one game that scared me", then you state that Half-Life did indeed scare you and that games where you can't fight the monsters chasing you are scary. I can't really see the point you are trying to make but in my map there will be no weapons. You cant fight the monsters chasing you.

Level 14
The fire model which I got isn't really working tho so I'll have to find someone to make me a working one. I can still work on the terrain meanwhile tho so no worries so far.

Yeah sorry man, I would've done it if only I have more time :*(

If I find a free spot I'll definitely scale it down for you :)

EDIT: by the way if you look at this tutorial:

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=42938

You'll see that it's actually quite easy to rescale it yourself :)
Export the standard fire model with an MPQ browser, then open it up in the model editor, select all the vertices and press Transformations and then hit Scaling.
Then you can simply change the X, Y and Z scaling. It's really simple :D

I personally find it better to explore things like this myself in order to gain knowledge and experience.
Which is extremely usefull in my opinion.

Sverkerman

Level 17
Fire model works! Gosh I am so happy to have that out of the way!

Huge shoutout to xorkatoss who first rescaled it, which didn't work, then completely remade the whole model request into a fully working product.

@Sonofjay Thank you for clearing that out for me :)

@Hashjie You were the one who helped me with the code for the lightning. You have done enough already :)

@Assassins-Creed I am voice acting.

Everything is working! I got all that I need! Finally I will start to create content for Dualism!!!

Expect "Let's Play" to come out within 2 weeks.

If you want to help the project in the current state I really need is 2D art, and lots of it. If you know any good 2D artist or if you are a good photoshopper yourself and got some spare time, make sure to let me know about it!

I have 15 Beta Test slots which will be filled the upcoming month. If you want to actually develope the map together with me and play it 7 days before anyone else, this is your chanse! Spread the word about Dualism and help keeping the thread clean.

Thanks everyone for the huge support, this makes it a lot easier for me to work my hardest on this huge project.

Sverkerman

Level 17
update.jpg

Trailer is finally out!
Make sure to thumbs up on youtube and spread the word about Dualism if you like what I am doing.

Thread update coming soon with Dualism related art and signatures for supporters. Beta Testers will be selected within days so if you are aiming to play the beta make sure to support now that I am giving you the tools needed!

More Dualism related videos can be found on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/Sverk3rCraft

Level 14
My exams are done after 4 weeks. After that I can help you out with photoshop, check my profile to see what I can do with photoshop.

(I haven't created that much in photoshop on thehive, but my artistic creations album is going to become bigger very soon)

I hope this spot can be reserved but 4 weeks is long, so if you want someone else I really have no problem with that and I'll understand due to the situation.

Sverkerman

Level 17
@Jazztastic it is not irrelevant since many are curious as to what we look like, what our names are and so on. I am getting a lot of PM's with questions so answering as many as them as possible in the thread is benefital.

Level 6
This seems pretty similar to an idea newbchu and I had some time ago (August '11) but the terrian is pretty good from what I can see on the screenshots, I kinda feel like you should make it a bit darker overall, too much brightness for my taste.

Keep up the work, Sverker, sorry again for dropping out of the other project where you had me hired as terrainer, got quite busy outside of wc3 and had to stop as I stated in the PM on which you never responded :D (See my signature xD, gonna remove it once you noticed it !)

Sverkerman

Level 17
Hahaha thats alright man xD
I am very happy about where I am today with this project.

Oh and also, the bright pictures are inside the editor. The game is actually as dark as black goes.

Oh and time to spread some rep, +rep to all of you wonderfull supporters ^^

Sverkerman

Level 17
Yea I am paying over $150 for the UI. I am very serious about this project, I want it to become the best darn horror map there is in Warcraft3. I don't really care about profit. I just want to change the Warcraft3 community for the better.

Level 23
Yea I am paying over $150 for the UI. I am very serious about this project, I want it to become the best darn horror map there is in Warcraft3. I don't really care about profit. I just want to change the Warcraft3 community for the better.

It's very refreshing to see such enthusiasm
Good luck on finishing the project.

Sverkerman

Level 17
I have no problem with paying Grey for the work. He is a great 2D artist who works honestly and efficiently.

Also, since the project is getting close to Beta stage, I'd like any that are interested to apply via PM to me. All the benefits and form can be found in the main post of this thread.

Thank-you

Level 23
I myself recently worked on a horror map, but the only feature I would suggest to add to this map is traps. Like trench traps, this can be done by cliff lowering a spot by 2, then placing a elevator over the cliff to make the trap nearly unnoticeable. When a unit walks over the trap the elevator goes down and the unit is impaled by spikes, or moves to another zone, or dies.. etc.
Hope you add this, it would force people to watch their step :p

Sverkerman

Level 17
Wow maddeem, you just gave me a awesome idea. I will have traps, very few of them, but all of them will be fully fatal. This will implement the feeling for the player that he always needs to watch his step. It will make it much more frustrating when encountering a enemy which forces you to run, as if you stop you die, if you run you might run into a trap which btw will have it's own blood fade filter animation and lovely splattering blood sound to scare the crap out of you. Great idea, +rep! Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.