• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dio or Killswitch?

Which version s better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Cpt. Znack needs seriously some grammar lolipops... and by the way, everyone who votes killswitch engage votes for a cover, which is BTW a completely different music genre as the original from dio, so it is NOT, NOT AT ALL, comparable, Killswitch Engage Version is: Screamo/Alternative Metal and Dio is british heavy metal...

Cpt. Znack needs seriously some grammar lolipops... and by the way, everyone who votes killswitch engage votes for a cover, which is BTW a completely different music genre as the original from dio, so it is NOT, NOT AT ALL, comparable, Killswitch Engage Version is: Screamo/Alternative Metal and Dio is british heavy metal...

1: GRAMMER NAZI
2: Whats wrong with covers? You can make a cover better then the original
3: I see nothing Heavy or Metal about Dio's version, its British Rock, not British Metal.

Level 21
WherewolfTherewolf, you don't even know what rock and metal is... so please, first read, then talk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dio_(band) (it is heavy metal...)

So stop the shit talk if you don't even know what the difference is.

And just by the way, heavy metal is nothing about that the music is loud, or the singer screams, heavy metal was the basic for glam metal and hair metal, heavy metal is for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhJjACUKf8 (New Age Heavy Metal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubZjbmA1Id0 (Hair Metal/Glam Metal)

and so on... so please, quit talking about stuff which you don't know.

I am not a grammar nazi, and if you call me something like that again, you can speak with a mod about it.

I just want to be able to read what people write.

Level 8
1: GRAMMER NAZI
2: Whats wrong with covers? You can make a cover better then the original
3: I see nothing Heavy or Metal about Dio's version, its British Rock, not British Metal.

100% Correct

Everybody has their Favourite type music. I enjoy Killswitch more, So What?

Cpt. Znack needs seriously some grammar lolipops

No need to get personal its just a discussion over who you think is better and not an English Test.
GRAMMER NAZI
Lol:xxd:

@ WherewolfTherewolf : Thanks =D

I just want to be able to read what people write.

@ redscores : Then you cant Read

Last edited:
Level 28
Killswitch Engage screamo? That's also completely not true.
People say something is screamo when the vocalist is screaming, but screamo is a lot more than just that: screamo is more simple, loud music (yes: with the typical screams).
Screams can be used in all genres (I've heard it in thrash metal, progressive metal, power metal, ... as well as the usual melodeath, death, black).
(KE is metalcore, like Trivium, BFMV, Atreyu etc).

What's wrong with voting for a cover? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
If the cover has been done in a good way, it can surpass the original song (this is the same for everything: copies can be better than originals).

And one more thing: there's no real need to argue here, music is a matter of preference.
I prefer KE because they bring the song with more power and variation, while Dio's song kind of bores me.

Level 18
True some songs are better when covered (2000 man,cum on feel the noise (thats covered 2 times 1 time in the 80 wich is the one i like and one time in the 90 wich sucks my balls but the original is from the early 60s :O)but for me the original is better.

Level 8
True some songs are better when covered (2000 man,cum on feel the noise (thats covered 2 times 1 time in the 80 wich is the one i like and one time in the 90 wich sucks my balls but the original is from the early 60s :O)but for me the original is better.

i Agree but as i said it depend from person to person

killswitch engage :D

Deserves +REP

Level 21
I am against this poll at all... because you cannot compare the songs performed by the band, Killswitch Engage is a alternative band... Dio is british heavy metal.... you cannot compare that, especially because heavy metal is much slower as alternative metal.... so people say they like the faster version... because the people in the new age like aggressive stuff... but dio's version has more of a good singing guy with a good band, on the otherside is that mainstream band which wants to cover a song which is one of the most known in the world of metal... sorry, but I cannot accept that those screaming kids (KE) decapitate a diamond of new wave of british metal...

Ah and captain snack, or whatever your name should mean, look at my post, I posted a link to the wikipedia dio site, there is written that dio is no fucking british "rock", it is heavy metal, and if you have no idea what heavy metal is, then just stop talking about it, easiest way to prevent problems with other people.

Level 3
I am against this poll at all... because you cannot compare the songs performed by the band, Killswitch Engage is a alternative band... Dio is british heavy metal.... you cannot compare that, especially because heavy metal is much slower as alternative metal.... so people say they like the faster version... because the people in the new age like aggressive stuff... but dio's version has more of a good singing guy with a good band, on the otherside is that mainstream band which wants to cover a song which is one of the most known in the world of metal... sorry, but I cannot accept that those screaming kids (KE) decapitate a diamond of new wave of british metal...

Ah and captain snack, or whatever your name should mean, look at my post, I posted a link to the wikipedia dio site, there is written that dio is no fucking british "rock", it is heavy metal, and if you have no idea what heavy metal is, then just stop talking about it, easiest way to prevent problems with other people.

lawl it´s just a fucking litle music question don´t take it so hard...

Level 3
I don't take that too hard, i take it hard if people talk about heavy metal, but don't even know what it is.

well I can understand you on that spot :/
you must know what you´re talking about if you not want any trouble :p

Level 28
I don't take that too hard, i take it hard if people talk about heavy metal, but don't even know what it is.
You also didn't really know what KE was :/
But you're right about the heavy metal part, no matter how I turn or twist it ^^

Anyway, it's not really good to say that KE are a bunch of "screaming kids" that "decapitate a diamond of new wave of british metal".
That just shows a great inability to appreciate different music styles, you immediately dispose of everything you don't like and all for what? Because some band made a cover of another band?
Come on...

Screaming takes a lot of skill to do (especially the technique), I doubt a bunch of screaming kids can do what they do.
I don't care if you like their musical style or not, you just don't have to shoot them because you don't like it (and from your posts, I could derive that you don't know much about their musical style either, which only makes it worse).

Level 28
I mean, that the song holy diver is a classic, and seriously, KE cannot bring the message of the song, so they should just quit trying... if you cannot understand that, I am sorry for you.
No need to be sorry for me.
I think KE did a pretty good job on covering the song, but that's my opinion and not the point.

My point was that you shouldn't shoot KE and everyone who likes KE because you don't like them, especially if you do not know much about the music they make.
You make it seem like you know everything about it and that nobody is allowed to vote for KE because they would be classified as "Loser".
That's just not true.

Level 28
I have never said anything about that they are losers, but they aren't comparable with a band which is since the 80s there and which made a lot of famous songs (Dio), it is just a bad try of KE to cover it.
It's the same song, it's possible to compare them, but it is and remains a personal opinion: if you like the good old British Heavy Metal more, you vote for Dio, while if you like songs with more power in it, you vote for KE - it's as simple as that.

You said they were a bunch of screaming kids and in general, you act like they're losers.

(side-note: KE's song might seem "Aggressive", but I think it's just a way to make a song have more power and variety - I don't find the song aggressive at all).

Level 8

*Gasp* my names spelled wrong *Boo friggin hoo* Redsquare..Nooo..(Childish) AND
I didnt say ANYTHING about Dio Being British Rock. Telling me to look at you're Post when you're not even Looking at mine...Genuis!(Sarcasm)

Dio's Version is Awesome, i Love his version BUT i Enjoy KE's Version More.

but dio's version has more of a good singing guy with a good band

It is TRUE and Dio is British Heavy Metal But ONCE A FRIGGIN AGAIN
DEPEND FROM PERSON TO PERSON....

I don't take that too hard, i take it hard if people talk about heavy metal, but don't even know what it is

Blah Blah Blah we all have been listen a long time...most..i started at the age of 11 listen to metal....SO here a Question DO YOU KNOW WHAT METAL IS????

That just shows a great inability to appreciate different music styles, you immediately dispose of everything you don't like and all for what? Because some band made a cover of another band?
Come on...

Screaming takes a lot of skill to do (especially the technique), I doubt a bunch of screaming kids can do what they do.
I don't care if you like their musical style or not, you just don't have to shoot them because you don't like it (and from your posts, I could derive that you don't know much about their musical style either, which only makes it worse).

This is VERy VERY TRUE Period.

I mean, that the song holy diver is a classic, and seriously, KE cannot bring the message of the song, so they should just quit trying... if you cannot understand that, I am sorry for you.

Yes Dio version is a classic But KE CAN bring the message through. and yes we are sorry for you Dont worry*pat pat*.

I have never said anything about that they are losers, but they aren't comparable with a band which is since the 80s there and which made a lot of famous songs (Dio), it is just a bad try of KE to cover it.

Once again True BUT the cover is quite good aswell and no its not a bad try they succeeded in making a good cover and the loser part...u were suggesting it.

WE like KE Version, You like Dio's Version. We all have different Tastes. period.

Level 8
God damn it,i saw this 20 times but i waited for someone to say,no i guess Im gonna say it:
Dio was borned,lived and lives in america,why do you people call him british?

Lol Sorry mate

Don't quote me on this but the music he played had heavy influences from British Metal, thus the style of music he played was British Metal. It's nothing to do with him

I Quoted you..:xxd: Because its true

Level 21
And yes I know what metal is, I am just a bit older as you Znack, I guess, because you are really behaving childish, and just by the way, I love metal since I was 9 years old. That was 10 years ago.

But whatever. I never said anything about that you like KE more, I just said that this thread shouldn't exist, because they are not comparable, thats the only thing which bothers me AND that people talk which don't know what metal is and talk shit about it.

But they are cleared, my things I mean ;).

They're playing the same song. It's simple, which version do you like better. It's not like they aren't comparable, it may be subjective, but they are very comparable. I was just interested in which version people here thought was better, as I had a picture of winamp showing the wrong album cover for this song (I don't know how it got KE and Smash Mouth mixed up, thats why I considered it a fail), someone looked at my pictures and started going on about how Killswitch sucks and that you should only like the Dio version (here's the actual quote: "What the??? Killswitch SUCKS!They totaly ruined the song. Long live DIO,the true welder of the HOLY DIVER!") and I figured I'd ask everyone about it.

Level 14
Well, the Dio version is definitely a classic and his video (the real one) certainly is a lot better than the Killswitch version.

That being said, I hate Dio. I always have, I always will. How that talentless hack ever got to be famous is beyond me. I can only assume it's because he had better and smarter people around him.

His songs are entirely forgettable because of his lack of real vocal skills and any sense of "excitement" in his songs.

The only good thing about Dio's Holy Diver is the actual music. His singing takes away from it completely.

Anyway, I like Killswitch's version a lot more than I like Dio's.

And before some jackass comes and quotes my post (which I know you will) I read the thread and I'm (as far as I know) the oldest person here and been listening to all kinds of music since before I could walk. Which is probably why I'm a Music Major in University.

Level 18
talentless hack
His songs are entirely forgettable because of his lack of real vocal skills and any sense of "excitement" in his songs.

The only good thing about Dio's Holy Diver is the actual music. His singing takes away from it completely.

I'm a Music Major in University.

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?Talentless,lack of vocal??!?!?!? THATS THE BIGGEST BULLSH#T I'VE EVER HEARD!And so what if youre a music major that doesent give you the right to say that one of the best voices in hevy metal sucks!I dont care man but all youve typed is lies.

Level 13
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?Talentless,lack of vocal??!?!?!? THATS THE BIGGEST BULLSH#T I'VE EVER HEARD!And so what if youre a music major that doesent give you the right to say that one of the best voices in hevy metal sucks!I dont care man but all youve typed is lies.

Damn, you can act like mature person i see..
And everybody has own opinon and if Arvedui thinks Dio is bad, then he thing Dio is bad.

Arvedui got damn strong argument there and I think you just can't go and tell that all what he typed was lies :p

Level 21
I guess, I have to say, Trolman is right, I can tell that Dio has one of the best metal voices... I think Arvedui is going to tell us that Rob Halford is a nothing... haha, well, again a alternative metal guy who has no idea about a voice ;).

In Holy Diver Dio's voice is really monotone, but just because of the message of the text, it is more like telling a story.

Listen to a real performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXSTY9AW-s

Then you know why hes called the god of heavy metal (dio means god by the way).

For all who don't know Halford: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgI-IDpXeYs

Last edited:
Not you or your last post, but some people are getting a little aggressive

So what grampa?

Maybe flaming isn't the best word here

Level 28
Dio is nowhere near being the best heavy metal vocalist.
He doesn't suck, but calling him "one of the best voices in hevy metal" is not true either.

Dio has a good voice in general, but he sings without any excitement/passion, he doesn't give feeling to the music, which is strongly recommended when you want to be a vocalist.
And even if we only count the voice and not the way he brings it, there are still people who have a far better voice than Dio.
If I may be honest: KE's clean voice is better than Dio's, it has a 'warmer' feeling.
Apart from KE, there are a lot more brilliant voices (especially screaming/grunting takes a lot more skill, but even if we exclude these - because of personal preferences - there are better voices in general).

Reason why people flame:
- Others don't like the same things as they do.
(okay, there's been no real flaming here, but I sense troubles ahead).

You're all doing really good, people! /sarcasm
This thread is a subjective thread, where someone wanted other people's opinion of who they like the most and what do I see?
Everyone's just yelling things that do not make all too much sense, all because they think the other guy "knows absolutely nothing about the topic".

Try to listen to eachother instead, you might actually learn something!

Ohh, one more thing: when you think someone else is wrong, try getting your right with actual English, instead of this mutant version that trollman uses.

Level 8
Dio is nowhere near being the best heavy metal vocalist.
He doesn't suck, but calling him "one of the best voices in hevy metal" is not true either.

Dio has a good voice in general, but he sings without any excitement/passion, he doesn't give feeling to the music, which is strongly recommended when you want to be a vocalist.
And even if we only count the voice and not the way he brings it, there are still people who have a far better voice than Dio.
If I may be honest: KE's clean voice is better than Dio's, it has a 'warmer' feeling.

This is true

Apart from KE, there are a lot more brilliant voices (especially screaming/grunting takes a lot more skill, but even if we exclude these - because of personal preferences - there are better voices in general)

This is True....even if i want to be able to scream like that i suck alot... thats why i dont sing for my band... Paul does...he has talent for it but back to what i wanted to say...This is true..lol... There is actually a a program..
https://www.melissacross.com/vocal_training_products.php

Level 14

Yes obviously I've typed only lies, because all I've typed is my opinion. I think you should look up the definitions of the words "Opinion" and "Fact."

Anyways you cant just say his singing sucks,thats SO not true.

Yes I can, because it is.

I guess, I have to say, Trolman is right, I can tell that Dio has one of the best metal voices... I think Arvedui is going to tell us that Rob Halford is a nothing... haha, well, again a alternative metal guy who has no idea about a voice ;).

See:
some jackass

No but seriously. You were whining before about Killswitch and Dio not being comparable, and you bring up Rob Halford?

Ok, I'll go with completely off-topic singers as well:

Maynard James Keenan is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. James LaBrie is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Chino Moreno is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. James Hetfield is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Dave Mustaine is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Ron Killings the Wrestler is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Joey Ramone is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Joe Strummer is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Iggy Pop is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Grace Slick is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime. Neil Young is 1000 times the singer Dio ever was in his prime.

Screw it, Pink is a better fucking singer than Dio.

In Holy Diver Dio's voice is really monotone, but just because of the message of the text, it is more like telling a story.

Yeah, Iron Man tells a story, and Ozzy doesn't suck at singing. I can think of about 10,000 other songs that tell stories where the vocals don't suck.

Then you know why hes called the god of heavy metal (dio means god by the way).

He's called the God of Heavy Metal by useless Fanboys who know absolutely nothing about Heavy Metal or Music in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.