• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Did you ever felt like... The world is like one spam box ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I mean look. There are so many people. ~ 6,453,628,000 to be more specific. Don't you ever feel like the nature is dying? That there are no more places where animals can live, that the civilization ruined the natural world, that the human overpopulation is horrific and one day will end us all?
In my opinion the earth is really too overpopulated, and almost nobody cares about. The scientist and doctors can now cure almost any disease that a few hundred years, or even 50 years ago was feared and died from, now is healed with ease. This contributed to the overpopulation of earth very much, among other things. There is almost no place in earth that isn't populated. I mean, ever dreamed about an adventure in a wild area, or living in the good old wild west? That's over. Humans are everywhere. And there's too much of them. I now that I sound a bit Hippy (which I am not really), but the nature is dying, Humans are overpopulating the earth, building factories, Nuclear Weapons of mass-destruction and other things that will most likely end the earth we know. But the main thing is the Overpopulation. I know that this is some sorta huge whirlwind of thoughts and words (not all my thoughts are stated here), but what is your opinion ?

Level 14
The world isn't overpopulated, at least, not yet. There are so many places that haven't even been populated, let alone overpopulated. And why should people care? What should we do, kill everybody that has more then 50 years? No, there's nothing that can do except maybe add a law that would bind the parents to have only 1 child(as seen in China).

Regarding those wild west adventures you speak of, what are you talking about? You, and a lot of other people(including myself) have been to spoiled by technology. You wouldn't survive a month without electricity, a shower or brushing your teeth. Honestly, would you want that?

Without factories stuff would be a lot more expensive and there would be much less of it so don't go around criticizing something you wouldn't want to disappear. Oh, and your complaining of people finding the cure to almost every illness? Seriously, you should think about the pros and cons of something before stating that you dislike it. I agree that developing better weapons is useless(unless of course aliens attack us, then obviously we would need the best weapons we can get).

Level 6
The world isn't overpopulated, at least, not yet. There are so many places that haven't even been populated, let alone overpopulated. And why should people care? What should we do, kill everybody that has more then 50 years? No, there's nothing that can do except maybe add a law that would bind the parents to have only 1 child(as seen in China).

Regarding those wild west adventures you speak of, what are you talking about? You, and a lot of other people(including myself) have been to spoiled by technology. You wouldn't survive a month without electricity, a shower or brushing your teeth. Honestly, would you want that?

Without factories stuff would be a lot more expensive and there would be much less of it so don't go around criticizing something you wouldn't want to disappear. Oh, and your complaining of people finding the cure to almost every illness? Seriously, you should think about the pros and cons of something before stating that you dislike it. I agree that developing better weapons is useless(unless of course aliens attack us, then obviously we would need the best weapons we can get).

The pros of curing a lot of illnesses (although not all) is that human survives. But thats... quite egoistic pro ...

About the wild west thingy, I mean that it's a fantasy world by know because of the current big (compared to the past) population of america and technologies. And any human would survive without a shower and a tooth brusher really long... That almost doesn't make diffrence in the lifespan. 10 years maybe.

By the way, you said I wouldn't survive without electricity. Do you think I am so pathetic ??? I mean, people survived before without it and that doesn't change much now.

And the thing that we cannot do anything about the earth's population, it's like the earth is doing it itself, and it is likely that half of earth's population will be destroyed in the second century. While most people, whom only care is money, doesn't care for future generations so it is really likely to happen.
Otherwise, sometimes drastical measures must be taken to survive (Dark smile) :D. Though personally i am not the one for those measures.

By saying overpopulated I also mean that Humans broke the nature's balance (how many species have we wiped out ?) allready, and that there shouldn't be so many humans.

Level 14
Lol, dude. I would see if you would be against better medicine if someone in your family had an illness that medicine from the 50-s can't cure.

And yes, I believe that you couldn't survive without electricity. I really doubt you would catch your own food, prepare and cook it, etc. And even if you could it wouldn't be fun. Oh and you say that it almost doesn't make a difference in life span, but then you add that it's 10 years maybe. That's 1/8 of the common male lifespan. Besides without medicine your life span would be even shorter and without proper food and shelter even shorter.

And why is it likely that half of the world will die by 2050? Is the earth going to spawn golems to kill half of us? Or are you going to grab an AK-47 and see it your mission to kill 3 billion people?

And from an evolutionary perspective, it seems, extinction is a good thing, since it provides opportunities for surviving organisms to diversify.

Level 6
Lol, dude. I would see if you would be against better medicine if someone in your family had an illness that medicine from the 50-s can't cure.

You know what I would do ? Live with it. There are things you must live with. My cousin died because of illness. I live with it. He was my best friend since my childhood. But there's nothing I could do, but to be honest I am human and if I could i would act to prevent this.

If it weren't of Disease's it is most likely that there weren't life on earth as we know it, because it would simply turn into chaos, because of overpopulation (not only in terms of humans).

And yes, I believe that you couldn't survive without electricity. I really doubt you would catch your own food, prepare and cook it, etc. And even if you could it wouldn't be fun. Oh and you say that it almost doesn't make a difference in life span, but then you add that it's 10 years maybe. That's 1/8 of the common male lifespan. Besides without medicine your life span would be even shorter and without proper food and shelter even shorter.

Long lifespan is also what causes (or in your opinion will cause) overpopulation, but i don't want discuss this too much. I am not against the long lifespan, you know, I am a human. I also want to live.

In terms of survival in wilderness, it would be hard, yes, because of the extinction of many animals and many more being in the brink of it.

And why is it likely that half of the world will die by 2050? Is the earth going to spawn golems to kill half of us? Or are you going to grab an AK-47 and see it your mission to kill 3 billion people?

Did you ever heard of melting poles in the north? And why makes you think I would "grab an AK-47 and see it your mission to kill 3 billion people"???

And from an evolutionary perspective, it seems, extinction is a good thing, since it provides opportunities for surviving organisms to diversify.

Extinction is a good thing when a creature is wiped out because it is weak, not because it is a sport for some people. And if We (humans) would want to clear the earth clean of animals it would be done already. It is because the balance of the earth isn't straight anymore, we change climate, we create nuclare fallouts, we cut down forrests, and everybody around us die, and you think it is for good for evoliution??? If you want creatures from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in real life, than yeah, it's really good.

Level 14
The world is not overpopulated, and it won't be for the next 200 years which is plenty of time for scientists to figure out how to create fast growing healthy food, under water cities and, possibly, cities on the moon. And even if we don't get the later two we can always build taller buildings.

Global Warming does exist but barely and it is mostly made up for media attention. I think, as well as many others, that we won't die in 50 years because of global warming. Even if we find the solution to it in 200 years, we'll be fine.

From a human perspective our own extinction would be a bad thing, so we should interfere with evolution to preserve ourselves. And no, I don't think people should kill stuff out of sport.

Oh, and don't think I am against nature or anything. In my opinion nature IS wonderful, but I wouldn't want to trade my current comfortable life for any medieval life.

Level 14
My short-sighted opinion? Go out and camp with no tools, supplies or contact with civilization for 1 week. IF you survive I doubt you will like nature.

Oh and buffaloes aren't extinct. Get your facts straight.

Level 6
My short-sighted opinion? Go out and camp with no tools, supplies or contact with civilization for 1 week. IF you survive I doubt you will like nature.

Oh and buffaloes aren't extinct. Get your facts straight.

I didn't said I like or love the nature. I simply like that things should be in their places.

Bisons were "hunted close to extinction" sorry for the incorrect facts. But I remember reading about a bird from south africa, that was hunted for fun, and because of it's slow breeding rate it was wiped out and the only left replica of it was destroyed for no reason... I read that book a few years ago so I cannot remember correctly, but it's hunting was ussually for fun.
camp with no tools, supplies or contact with civilization for 1 week
I would gladly.

Level 14
Yes, Bisons were hunted close to extinction around the end of the 19th century(or was it around the start) but today there are around 400 000 of them.

And you think I am short-sighted because I believe that global warming won't kill us all in the next 40 years? You should really do some research before you post. It was Al Gore who roused up everybody about global warming for media attention. If it was a big deal and if half of the world would actually die in 40 years then I am pretty sure there would already be a way to stop global warming.

Level 6
Oh so you think I heard a single word Al Gore ever said? I only care what independent science team says.
...Studies have suggested that the average ice thickness has decreased in recent years due to global warming
And the next century won't start after 50 years really.
And in any ways there's no way to stop Greenhouse Effect or the or Ozone declining 4 percent per decade, and I doubt there will be.
And the visible facts. My father told me that winters were much colder before. And not 100 years before but 20 years ago. Now in 20 years there's barely any snow here in winter. Even in my childhood I remember how I loved skiing from hills, but now it isn't really possible, because it's the third year there's no snow, or very little of it.

Level 14
Now this is where you short-sighted. Since the last 50 years we've managed to fly, go in outer space, create computers, mobile phones, cure most diseases, etc. What makes you think that by 2100 we won't be able to create an artificial atmosphere? Or perhaps a way to neutralize CFC before it merges with oxygen?

I agree you can't really know that, but the way things have been going I believe that they will find a way to resolve this problem.

And I know global warming is in effect, but in it's current state it isn't a big problem.

EDIT: Since you edit your post I will reply to that now: I don't know what country you live in, but here it's been alright. True, there was more snow when I was a kid, but the winters are still cold and there is snow about 2-3 times a year which lasts for up to a week. Yes, I agree that the world's overall temperature did increase by 2 degrees in the last 100 years, but we won't die in the next 100 years because of that.

Level 6
Yes, I am shortsighted. Sometimes. And i agree with most of your opinions (though not all). But that doesn't make me to change my opinions. Let's end today's discussion, because I want to sleep :). I think I will continue the discussion tommorow.

Level 12
Yeah, the world is overpopulated. I've been at McDonalds a couple of days ago and for the first time i noticed how chaotic and annoying it is to have the sound of two hundred people crammed in a small room gibbering, to have the sound of four hundred feet stomping your brain. Theres too many of them, so buzzy and pestilent. It's annoying. Tokyo City is even worse. We have too much people, it's becoming like a hive.

But there are still a bunch of places on earth where you can find the blessing of solitude. It's not that drastic.

Level 27
We aren't even close to overpopulating the dry land. That's way far off.

By the time we have to worry about it, we should have some way to live in and/or on the oceans, and colonies on other heavenly bodies.

Level 6
I'm not even close on changing my opinion. But I don't want to continue this discussion really. It seems... tiresome somewhat. Though I still have many arguments, I think this discussion is pointless really, maybe it should be closed. What will happen, we will see.

Level 22
Now this is where you short-sighted. Since the last 50 years we've managed to fly, go in outer space, create computers, mobile phones, cure most diseases, etc. What makes you think that by 2100 we won't be able to create an artificial atmosphere? Or perhaps a way to neutralize CFC before it merges with oxygen?

I agree you can't really know that, but the way things have been going I believe that they will find a way to resolve this problem.

And I know global warming is in effect, but in it's current state it isn't a big problem.

EDIT: Since you edit your post I will reply to that now: I don't know what country you live in, but here it's been alright. True, there was more snow when I was a kid, but the winters are still cold and there is snow about 2-3 times a year which lasts for up to a week. Yes, I agree that the world's overall temperature did increase by 2 degrees in the last 100 years, but we won't die in the next 100 years because of that.

It may have only increased by 2 degrees, but it will continue to increase at an exponential rate, not a linear jump ever x years. In 20 years, we could probably see another 2 degree increase.

Just wanted to put that out there..

Interesting debate you all are having.. The world is a spam box, but's better this way.
As stated, most people would die from pissing themselves and starvation in their first 2 nights in the woods.

If you want an adventure, Come down to Anguilla, British West Indies. Plenty of undeveloped land there.... and possibly gorillas.

Level 6
It may have only increased by 2 degrees, but it will continue to increase at an exponential rate, not a linear jump ever x years. In 20 years, we could probably see another 2 degree increase.

Just wanted to put that out there..

Interesting debate you all are having.. The world is a spam box, but's better this way.
As stated, most people would die from pissing themselves and starvation in their first 2 nights in the woods.

If you want an adventure, Come down to Anguilla, British West Indies. Plenty of undeveloped land there.... and possibly gorillas.

You didn't take my words right, about the adventure... Anyway, I don't see why world being filled with humans is very good.

Most, and I never said that all people should go back to forests, or anywhere else. I would only wish that people don't use technology too egoistic..

Level 14
Yes, most would die in 2 days, the rest would die within the next 5 days, if you exclude adults. I don't know you so I can't say anything about you, but out of all the 15 year old's I met none of them would be able to survive in the forest for a week. You don't know what plants are edible, nor how to make a trap for an animal with no tools or anything.

Level 24
I mean look. There are so many people. ~ 6,453,628,000 to be more specific. Don't you ever feel like the nature is dying? That there are no more places where animals can live, that the civilization ruined the natural world, that the human overpopulation is horrific and one day will end us all?
In my opinion the earth is really too overpopulated, and almost nobody cares about. The scientist and doctors can now cure almost any disease that a few hundred years, or even 50 years ago was feared and died from, now is healed with ease. This contributed to the overpopulation of earth very much, among other things. There is almost no place in earth that isn't populated. I mean, ever dreamed about an adventure in a wild area, or living in the good old wild west? That's over. Humans are everywhere. And there's too much of them. I now that I sound a bit Hippy (which I am not really), but the nature is dying, Humans are overpopulating the earth, building factories, Nuclear Weapons of mass-destruction and other things that will most likely end the earth we know. But the main thing is the Overpopulation. I know that this is some sorta huge whirlwind of thoughts and words (not all my thoughts are stated here), but what is your opinion ?

Actually,it was said that above 30% of this planet is explored!

Do you really find medicine that evolved?

Even if the nature is dying,there are efforts to keep it alive,until necesary,then we may adapt to other things,due to our technologically advancement.

But by then,when the whole world becomes a wasteland,the other planets will be populated.

And there is also the sea,which consists 70% of our planet,the deepest that submersibles went was 10 k km and there was still unexplored area.

And the sun will explode in 10 million years,by then,humans will remain just a memory or the whole existence will be banished.

Either way you put it,it's going to end or it will continue,one thing is certain,the world isn't even fully populated and it's not a spam box,it's a forum that goes by it's set of rules.

Level 5
The world is not overpopulated with humans yet , however in my opinion there are too many humans but it was bound to happen when a specis becomes the dominent one of a planet.

Level 14
Hermit, don't you think you are overreacting? From 2000 to 2008 there has been an increase by half a billion people. Do you really think that the human population will increase by 2.5 times in the next 12 years?

Level 17
Yes, I feel like technology is making us lazier, stupider, and less independent...

I find that we are slowly filling Earth's empty boxes.

I find that in 20 years, we will be 10 billions, and nothing can stop it.

I find that we will destroy nature, and only a few survives...

We spoiled ourselves too much, its hard to become independent of anything...

Level 12
the world is not overpopulated, atleast not according to my definitions. We have enough food, and the animals can live on many places, but you know what, they arent. They just arent adaptive enough to do so, and that's that.

The world is dying? well, that depends really. Global Warming and other things that are currently changing our lifestyles(to the worse) are NOT BIG PROBLEMS. We are just making them bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.