• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Diablo 2 - Act 1 (ORPG with save/load per act)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I began with the hardest first, this is all I've been working on so far for act 2 terrain. And I haven't doodaded it yet, hence the wip! But thanks for the feedback, oh and this isnt dalaran now, it's sunken ruins just a custom texture on elevators. Creative aye!

Level 9
Bump

Terrain WIP's

Attachments

• arcane.JPG
    arcane.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 1,301
  • halls of the dead.JPG
    halls of the dead.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 529
  • lut gohlein.JPG
    lut gohlein.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 622
  • rocky waste.JPG
    rocky waste.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 487
  • sewers.JPG
    sewers.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 535
Level 7
The halls of dead entrance looks good :grin: but i think you should chance the cliff type to the stone one because that how it looks like in diablo.

Lut Gloein is also very good but in the middle (where the merchants is) the walls are to thick (not your fault) i dont know if it is possible to make them thinner but if it is make them also it doesnt looked like you made the inn.

Rocky waste, i cant remeber that from diablo :hohum: but it needs more high variation else its good :gg:

Sewers is good i know there is no way to make that one look like diablo 2 because of the tile limit and there is no way to make the cliffs more red, still i think you could just add a really dark fog or something ?

Anyway keep up the good work :thumbs_up: You are a genius

Level 9
Tried out the stone cliff, looked horrible trust me. I know this other one isn't great but it works better than the stone one I assure you. Noone remembers rocky waste, it's just an area you run through before you reach the dry hills, not that important. As for thick fog, I cant make it thicker unfortunately...

And as for the inn, it's there where it should be (those doors open when the map starts, and inside is the keeper and of course geglash the bumbling drunk)

Another one for the collection, Halls of the dead interior wip

Attachments

• hotd interior.JPG
    hotd interior.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 319
Level 2
So far I have to say this is the best diablo2->wc3 map I have played yet...

My only problem is the skill system(how u are forced to level up skills you won't use. Mainly on the paladin...Leveling up 2 auras just to level up the only one you are going to use is a waste imo...)

But other than that, its amazing...Good work^.^ Can't wait for the other acts.

And Lut Gohlein looks epic so far.

Level 9
Actually most auras have their good times to use them. Such as meditation being useless if everyone has full mana, so chuck on prayer instead.

Or in combat, thorns is the anti fallen mob ability, whilst something like holy shock might not be, but is useful against swarms of larger mobs. And conviction aura is a good one to mow down stronger uniques.

I always aim for a level 2 aura to be of more use than a level 1 aura but I understand what you mean. And thankyou I'm glad you like Lut Gohlein!

Just beginning the far oasis and the maggot lair as I type.

EDIT: more terrain

Terrain Left to do
Lost city
Valley of the snakes
Claw viper temple
Harem
Palace cellar
Canyon of the arch magi
False tomb 1
False tomb 2
The real tomb

Attachments

• tyrael.JPG
    tyrael.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,563
  • maggot lair.JPG
    maggot lair.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
Level 9
An awesome model for Tyrael, Gavin!
And ,the second one,it's Maggot's Lair?

Yes it is awesome, and it's only 100 kb too, whereas the uber awesome tyrael model is about 1 MB! The modelmaker Tranquil has many models in this map, and is credited also.

And the second one is the maggot lair minus fog and doodads/units.

Terrain remaining
Lost city
Valley of the snakes
Canyon of the arch magi
False tombs
Real tomb

Level 9
Claw viper temple yes I've made it two levels deep. The screenshot added is just of the second floor (basement) with the altar. Duriel of course will be in here, and I've made him, he deals fairly large damage, slows on attack (frost attack instead of holy freeze) and is also quite fast.

Awesome update, interface changed to D2 style for act 2.
Thats the uber sexy paladin interface you see right there.

Attachments

• duriel.JPG
    duriel.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 4,004
  • clawviper1.JPG
    clawviper1.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 2,789
  • cellar.JPG
    cellar.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 343
  • INTERFACE.JPG
    INTERFACE.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Level 1
GREAT MAP. I was thinking of making a Diablo 2 map and this just blew my ideas out of the water.
This is one of my new favorite maps honestly, and I like that youve continued to improve the map version by version.

Stuff I liked:
+ identify system- really captures the way diablo 2 works
+ WP System is basically perfect
+TP system (why dont they close when you enter/exit though?)
+ scroll system (although its annoying scrolls dont go to belt-this IMO is a MAJOR needed change)
+ belt/backpack system was brilliant--theres a lot of annoying shuffling around but thats also a lot like diablo 2 XD
+ inventory system- only one of each type of item is a nice feature. The only issue is that you can have a shield while using a bow at the same time? wtf? I would have made a one handed weapon category, a 2 handed weapon category, and shields, so that wouldnt happen.
+ use of spellbooks
+ Amazon bow system-its great that she can switch back and forth from range and melee depending on her weapon. I only wish this could be extended to other heroes.
+ terrain and atmosphere were great, lot like diablo

suggestions/negatives:
-perhaps use portraits from diablo 2 like the diablo 2 duel maps do (i see youve done this for icons already in act 2)
-javelins dont seem to be in the game?
-you can use bow skills without a bow and javelin skills without a javelin- should make it so those skills are dependent on the right weapon
-bows and javelins have no ammunition
-no separate models/animation for melee/bow/javelin zon and
-no bow or ranged weapons for other heroes
-I guess theres a balance between true ORPG models with no weapons in hand and models with correct weapons and attack animations. Currently i'm thinking of an involuntary morph system. but thatd require good models for javelin and bow for all 6 non amazon heroes, plus a good melee and javelin model for amazon :-/
-shield can be used with 2 handed weapons?
-No real bear form for druid and no werewolf form-- this one hurt :(
-items are small and hard to click on
-you made interesting choices with lightning fury--i would have likely made it a forked lightning emanating from a dummy unit centered on the javelin's target (or maybe multiple chain lightnings for each unit in the area)
-probably would want to make more of the javelin and arrow skills autocast on attack
-linear style skill learning is interesting--I probably would have went with a more standard warcraft 3 type of build--I like the spellbooks/tree system though, just not the linear advancement
-make it so id scrolls can work from backpack, make scrolls go to belt automatically as well as potions

anyway these are obviously not all realistic suggestions, just mostly thoughts ive had on how I might have done it; but I understand the limitations of the editor/units/models that are available. some of the suggestions are just a matter of taste. GJ so far and looking forward to ACT II :D

Level 9
That criticism was excellent, and gives me a lot to work with. Most of those things could be fixed up besides model suggestions (size limitations) and passive castings (lightning fury and plague javelin are higher mana, longer frequency abilities in this map). And druid gets werebear form! (although he doesn't transform into a bear model for complicated reasons).

As for ranged items, the weapons are all equally balanced, whilst shooting from afar seems safe monsters advance fast in this map, and bows get very small damage mods compared to say an axe. As for single hand weapons and shields etc I'll give it a go.

Appreciated and of course
+rep

This map is on hold for a month or two until I reach my university holidays. Sorry, but this year things are getting pretty hectic and wc3 is the last thing I have time for. I'll try to do things every now and then but I'm not sure how muhc time I'll get.

Level 1
Glad you liked the criticism! Smart of you to focus on class and not warcraft, now I need to do the same :D
Don't know if you've ever played TKOK (The Kingdom of Kaliron) but they've got some cool systems in there you might think about using.

Status
Not open for further replies.