1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Depressing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Codric, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Codric, a tip, don't take takakenji to seriously; he's been trolling around for a good time now. But like most of them, he manages to shine light on something none the less; despite the sarcasm and trolling...

Anyway, yes, you could tell depressed people to clean up their act as most of them have it way better than people that are exposed to war, famine, starvation and etc. But I just want to point something out; I might have it better than these people, but that doesn't mean that my pain isn't real (Hell, I even feel offended to some degree when people say that I haven’t felt pain, because I have. Maybe not as extreme as others, but I sure have a perception of it…). I can't help it that I was born in a country that wasn't haunted by these horrors and if I were born in one of them, I'd most likely be one of the first to fall.

Just because others are suffering doesn't mean that I can't feel pain, even if my pain can be considered trivial compared to theirs. And with all honesty, you can only compare starvation, disease and etc. with depression if you've encountered both of them. As for now, my own perception is that depression is the worst kind of pain there is, and it is, for me at least. I haven't experienced anything else that hurts as bad as it, so there's nothing I personally can compare it to with honesty. But if I had experienced starvation, famine and war, things might have been different. And shit, war damage people in general...

Ugh... Sorry for the rabble, but all as for the TL;DR, I just wanted to point out that you can't really compare depression with war, famine and etc. as most of us haven't experienced both (I've no clue though, most war victims seems to be damaged in the long run anyway... So my guess is that those things create a constant depression if something isn't done about; a person can get stuck in it, so to speak... Or whatever...)

Edit
    Shit, saying that is like telling a rich man that he doesn't have the right to feel pain just because he's rich. Is there any "logic" in that..?

Edit
    Here's an interesting view on depression in general:
    http://youtu.be/ndsB37KUAso

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  2. -Derp-

-Derp-

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Since this inevitably devolved into a thread about depression, I might as well as throw in a few words.

First off, on what Arowanna touched on, depressed kiddles aren't affected by what their situation is compared to another's. They don't relate like that; ironically, if someone says their situation is worse than theirs they'll most often make an excuse or exaggerate their problem(s). I personally wouldn't describe depression as a 'pain', but more of a lack of emotion or influx of negative emotions. It's the persistence of this that gets to you, not the emotions itself. i.e. Everyone has at least once woken up and felt horrible, a depressed kiddle may get this for months straight. I could touch on mania and such, but I'd rather just stick with the stereotypical depression.

What gives this illness such a bad stereotype is the fact that it's an extremely common mental disorder and the 'emo' population. I can understand the cutting, I can understand the suicide attempts. I can't understand why you have to dress in all black, complain about it to everyone, and really just come across as a whiny punk to the general population. (This is where the 'being mentally strong' runs in) It's those that can put a smile on and push through the illness that are mentally there. Those that want it gone, and not embrace the useless attention whoring you can get from it.

Codric, if you need some sort of physical answer, i.e. what causes it, just ask.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  3. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    I presume you are responding to me.

I didn't mean to belittle the mental pain of those who have wealth, rather pointing out that things could be worse. A person who suffers from major depression needs a proper medical help. I compared depression with war and famine, since they cause horrible mental suffering, for example in war it's possible that someone you or someone you know will die, and in famine your family's survival is a constant concern.

PS. Is it really fair that there is an approved troll who can post shit on threads without anyone complaining?

4. takakenji

takakenji

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    My Words hold Wisdom it is Only the Perspective uSee them in which Will determine ur opinion

5. OrochiKira537

OrochiKira537

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, if you don't have a mom and dad, you don't have a home, don't have money, don't have a spouse, don't have a dog, and don't have balls to face these problems. That is how you get depressed if your life is like this.

6. Leeroy

Leeroy

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Your girlfriend cheating on you. With your best friend.

I've never really fell into depression, but this one almost got me there.
    The OP asked about what you feel when you're in depression - you feel like you're useless.
    What you have done in your past becomes either wrong or the cause that led you to your current state.
    You start to blame yourself endlessly or someone else, in an effort to justify your current condition.
    The more you think about what led you to that situation, the worse it gets.
    It's like a spiraling descent into something that just crushes your very being. Maybe it is a lucid descent: you do realize you're just harming yourself by acting that way, but you just can't stop because you have no alternatives.

If you're strong and mentally capable of handling such a thing, you will eventually get it out of yourself...but I think you will always bear a scar after such experiences.

That is how I felt for a month after this relationship.

7. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds horrible, good that you survived. I can't even imagine a situation like that, a trusted partner and a great friend lost at the same time.

8. Leeroy

Leeroy

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's those typical film scenes that you look at afar in real life and tell to yourself "Ha, sucker! I can't bet he trusted his friend to this point"
    And then, boom. You wake up in bed and you're that guy! Hehe.

9. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Try being a toy to your girlfriend, where she's playing mindgames with you the entire time. Or worse, the part where she fakes her own death because she's bored with you.

Or worse still, after a couple of weeks thinking someone you loved is dead, she shows back up in public and basically announces to you that you were close to nothing to her.

Cheating and failed relationships happen, and they're easy to get past, but that kind of trauma changes you. It turned me into an asshole, afterall.

10. Hemske

Hemske

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @Verm

I usually just tell people to snap out of it and move on. But man that's harsh.

11. Squiggy

Squiggy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Being alone is depressing

12. Hemske

Hemske

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I love being alone :3

Depends on what loneliness though.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No social life, friends working/sutdying far away, you wake up to work and get to sleep to be able to work.

Did I forget that people in Africa don't have anything to eat? Did I?

14. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Worst part is, I was young, and she was the first person I opened up to. They say the first cut is the deepest, and that one drove me crazy.

15. Hemske

Hemske

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yeah tell me about it. Easy to generalize as well if something like that happens so early in your life. Takes time before you can change your view of people.

16. MargaretC

MargaretC

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'll tell you what's depressing: I've caught cold a couple of days before and it metamorphosed into cystitis. My doctor prescribed me some med that killed my microflora and caused thrush and diarrhea at the same time. That's what I call DEPRESSING!

17. infrenus

infrenus

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Meh, my flora is fucked up from my baby times, so my intestinal activity is pretty random, ut bout depression... uhm. I just got it when I was young with these first crushes... kinda silly really. Now Im at the current time at the hospital in the end of my chemotherapy (I have Leucemia) and I was almost leaving the hospital just to a little fever of 37 celcius making me stay another week, oh hell. Actually the fever passed, but I need to stay anyway.

18. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Another recent depressing event: when you realize that salt & vinegar Pringles chips actually taste like salt & vinegar.

19. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    See now thats why i love the internet. She doesn't do any of that shit too you!

20. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    What this guy said.

Well for me, it was when a lot of bad and intense stuff happened at the same time. My parents died years ago so... in 2010 when I failed to accomplish the goals I set + arguing with my best friend and seemingly breaking it off for good + arguing with my uncle and seemingly breaking it off for good + my 11 year old dog died + living completely alone = D E P R E S S I O N, or as Pharaoh_ likes to call it, I've become melancholic. But now it's all good, I've regained who I lost + a new pet cat, orange type, like Puss in Boots, very social too.

Internet can't also make you happy as real life can. : P
    RL is like a two bladed sword.