• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Defend mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I would like to know how the mechanics behind the footman ability: "defend" work.
Official Tooltip: "Activate to take 50% less damage from Piercing attacks, ..."

My question is where do i insert the the 50% to the damage calculation?

Or in other words how mush effective hp does it give? How does it stack with bonus armor? When is the damage reduced by 50%?

http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=44516
http://www.playdota.com/mechanics/damagearmor
http://classic.battle.net/war3/basics/armorandweapontypes.shtml

Level 8
thanks dude!

so onto the next question how mush value does it have?
I'm doing a mod which tries to stick as close to the original warcraft to make balancing as easy as possible...

So i got those Rings of Protection unchanged in my map:
Ring of Protection +2 armor, 150 Gold, 10,7% Damage Reduction
Ring of Protection +3 armor, 400 Gold, 15,3% Damage Reduction
Ring of Protection +4 armor, 500 Gold, 19,4% Damage Reduction
Ring of Protection +5 armor, 800 Gold, 23,1% Damage Reduction

So i wonder how mush an item with "Reduces damage from ranged attacks to 70%." should be worth?

And also whats the formula for item values anyway? :S
For example Claws of Attack:
+6 attack, 100 gold
+9 attack, 400 gold
+12 attack, 500 gold
+15 attack, 800 gold

Don't really see the pattern nor concept here, i guess more powerful items should cost more since you only got 6 inventory slots, and you want to get the most value out of each..

Level 12
The increase in effective hp for each point of armour is 6%, that's why you get less damage reduction for each point (since the higher damage reduction value you already have the more the next point reduce it by even further)

So Ring of Protection +2 armour, 150 Gold would mean that (not counting the value from being able to get it earlier and that you only have 6 item slots) would mean that 6% increased effective hp is worth 75 gold.

50% damage reduction doubles your EHP, so defend against pierce damage would be worth almost 17 armour if you have 0 armour.

Since it's stacking multiplicatively with your armour it's even better the more armour you've already got. If you've already got 17 armor (102% increased effective hp) and then add the defend then you'd have 4 times the effective health against pierce damage.

Since it only work against pierce (and spell if you modify it) the value of it would be depending a lot on how prevalent the attack type is.

For reference if all units used pierce then it's value would be at the minimum of 17 armour and it would be worth more the more armour you've got.

by the way if it's defend ability on the item you'd have to activate it, if that isn't your intention use elune's grace or spiked carapace.

Level 8
Death Adder thanks a lot, that was exactly the input i needed cheers!

There is an item ability by default called "defend (item)" which is a passive and requires no activation. It can be seen in "The Founding of Durotar" a 3500 Gold item, 5 armor and 70% piercing reduction" - legendary stuff.

But good point one could make use of the other two abilities you mentioned...
I mean caster heroes tend to have a better mana reg and profit a lot more from a 50% mana reg booster than warrior heroes, so the tanks could need a % booster item as well.. Although the armor rings kinda do that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.