• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Decisive Night - The Dawn v1.2

Details
Decisive Night
The Dawn
Ver. 1.2

undeads.png

Introduction

This is single player survival / castle defense map in which you might take a role of undead and dive into battle with humans in order to survive. There are three difficulty levels: easy, normal and hard. Each level is exceptional with enemy units variatons and final bosses.

Story

Human forces suffers from the harm of unknown source. Walls, houses, barricades or fortifications against the undead have been roughly damaged, even lifes were taken due to unexpected strikes from the sky. Humans discovered that there is a tower far away from their homeland, which is able to deal tremendous harm in far distance. They have gathered forces immediately and headed towards the tower.

Now humans are about to clash with the undead. The dark magic empire shall stand and resist. Take a role of undead and manipulate their powers in order to defend Blaze Tower from its destruction that humans seeks to be done.

Credits

TheHiveWorkshop Models / Icons:

Tarrasque
HappyTauren
sPy
Ampharos_222
Ket
BlackDoom
-Berz-
kingbdogz
Godslayer
CRAZYRUSSIAN
NexusBlizzard
Army-of-Pandas
bigapple90
D.ee
Static
PeeKay
Mc !
marcus158
JetFangInferno
inhuman89
DonDustin
Thrikodius
Mr.Goblin
WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Champara Bros
Haistrah
4eNNightmare
wingednosering
Tranquil
Frankster
ratamahatta
anarchianbedlam

Wc3Campaigns Models:

Daelin
Screenshot 1.
90757383.png

Screenshot 2.
65534224.png

Screenshot 3.
61188906.png

Screenshot 4.
62906332.png

Screenshot 5.
32769067.png

Screenshot 6.
88961204.png

Screenshot 7.
82209392.png

Screenshot 8.
23930865.png

v1.1
- Buildings were brightened, making them more visible at dark time -
- Insidious Consume [Level 2] ability now may cost mana and consume 105% of targets life points instead of 50% to life points and 30% life points to mana points -
- Naming have been shortened, since it was too long and it would not let to play -
v1.2
- Build time of trainable units have been roughly reduced -
- Item Call the Force of Restoration have its stock replenish interval and gold cost reduced -
- Correction was made in tooltip of Spiritual Regain ability, it heals enemy units too -
- Stupendous Summon ability have its cooldown reduced by 50 seconds -
- Advanced trainable units have their gold cost reduced -
- Many upgrades have its gold cost slightly reduced -
- Item Skull of the Dead have its gold cost reduced -
- Ability Extreme Accurency have its special effect changed -
- In virtue of Vengeancekael (TheHiveWorkshop user), new Research have been added. With its help while preparation time between the waves of enemies, undead might recover its health points -

Keywords:
Decisive, Night, The, Dawn, Undead, Undeads, Human, Humans, Survival, Castle, Defense, Defence.
Contents

Decisive Night - The Dawn v1.2 (Map)

Reviews
Vengeancekael - Date: 2012/May/13 22:05:26 Reasons: Other: Check out the tutorials section: Tutorials Check out the Map Development Section: Map Development Section Check out the World Editor Help Zone (Trigger issues, object editor, overall...

M

Level 23
EDIT : I can't find it in my Wc3 Maps, what version does it run on ?

The name is too long, I renamed mine and it works fine.

Anyway, big fan of this like the other decisive night map.
Love the presentation and the general neatness/polish of everything.

The issue I have is with Lycus's abilities. His initial 2 leanrable skills are fairly useless, He hardly takes damage or needs to escape hence I dont think defensive skills are that appropriate for him.

Level 31

Ah, sorry about that. I might surely fix that in next update, but for now the solution would be to delete word (Survival) at the end of the name I guess.

The issue I have is with Lycus's abilities. His initial 2 leanrable skills are fairly useless, He hardly takes damage or needs to escape hence I dont think defensive skills are that appropriate for him.

Of course these are not a neccessity if you play Easy mode or even Normal mode, depends how you work with your hero. For example, I rarely order Lycus to run, I prefer teleportation that cost life points, it makes you move way faster and for example appearing in the center of enemies and activate other abilities in order to counter. Another way would be to use hero as a wall to protect your troops, since it takes low damage. Playing Hard mode I could not do anything without these spells, it was pain in my butt :) Anyway, thank you for your concern, but try to finish Hard mode, I think these abilities are pretty much neccessary there for sure, because my hero died millions of times :(

Thank you again for your support, it really inspires me to improve and begin other projects. :)

Level 9

thanks!

________

ok finally got time for this and I did enjoy it just as much as the other version

Good Stuff
-The Deadly Terrain, very similar to the Blizzard Terrain during the start of the Blood Elf Campaign, gives a dreadful fealing suiting the theme.
-The Gameplay is pretty much Enhanced comparing this to the other version.
Better and frequently usable spell.
-The Good Model Selection for Undead.
-The Strategic Pathway has oppturnities for some different ways of defense.
-Well polished Descriptions for all Spell/Units/Upgrades
-No Bugs found
-Good Icon selection too

Stuff that I believe might need Improvement
-The Terrain despite of being dreadful seems to lack something I would say it can be better.
-Units have same Sound Response, I believe a player would prefer something a little different to hear from each unit even if the standard skeleton is sutiing for all.
-The levels in Easy Mode were pretty easy until the final boss which seemed almost unbeatable.
-The Waves were coming in a sort of a Que, almost like 1 unit at a time I believe it's kind of making it easier to kill them, mobs of 2-4 units in one line at one time would be better on this part.
-Almost no custom models for the Human, as it is a Single player Map I don't think having some more custom models for the enemy army would matter as they do look much better than Standard Blizzard ones
-Lacks the all time Multi board like the other DN which constantly was in front of the player, in this one only a timer appears each time before wave
even if it does mention which wave is coming and how many are left, I believe a player would rather like to know it when he likes during the intensity of game rather than just on the limited time before the wave

3/5 iz all mi maite can give ya :pir:
waiting for the update! keep doing the awesome work :piru:

Review:

Gameplay:

This is probably the first single player defense map I have played and the idea is quite neat and simple. You control one pre-selected hero, with some custom spells and some default ones but they are also edited in a fitting way, making the hero really fun to play.
The spells are very flashy and have nice effects.
There are also 3 difficulty options, allowing the player to play the map the way he wants to. There are also 3 units you can create and 3 other ones which must first be unlocked through an upgrade. There are 3 'barrackses, each of them make 2 different unites and the units themselves are pretty generic, a warrior, a ranger and a mage, but they all have their own set of upgrades and skill sets. Although the only thing that bothered me was the really hard difficulty, even on normal, I was defeated after the third wave, maybe try adjusting the enemy units' amount and adding tips would also be nice.
A fountain or something which heals allied units would be nice, for after a wave you could go and heal yourself and get ready for the next wave.

Terrain:

The undead base is just amazing, so much detail, flags, rocks everywhere, you've used fitting custom models, the base is symmetric, no flaws or small spots which look bad, the environment around the base is also nice looking, a sea and a ruined human watch tower, etc.
The terrain is perfect.

Custom resources:

You have imported and used custom models and icons, the models all work perfectly together and the icons also fit the spells.
What would have made the map better would be a custom soundtrack maybe, a dark one, which would fit to the dark atmosphere.

Polishing:

The skill tooltips are well written, not a lot of typos, your objective is explained very clearly in the quest log, credits have been given and every unit has a fitting icon.

Overall:

A really neat map, nice looking, it can be played by anyone because it's single player, there's also a storyline, a lot to do in the map, upgrade your units, unlock new ones, position them correctly, use the Blaze Tower's uber skills. The only thing that needs adjustments would be the difficulty, it's way too hard. Keep up the good work!

Rating: 4/5

Level 31

@MrStormyZ
I am glad you liked it as well, it means much to me. Thank you for your ideas and rating too.

-The Terrain despite of being dreadful seems to lack something I would say it can be better.
Hm, I though I did everything what's in my power to make environment and terrain development great. Would be nice of you could share your thoughts about it, tell me what is it lacking in your opinion?
-Units have same Sound Response, I believe a player would prefer something a little different to hear from each unit even if the standard skeleton is sutiing for all.
I was subjective on this. Personally, I don't like hearing sounds from units all the time, because it annoys me when I am 100% focused on the gameplay. That is why even hero has no sound track and units got just a silent bone cracking sound which really fits to skeletons, since your troops are based on skeletons. Playing this map you basically use hero most of the time, repeating sound track would drive player crazy! At least it would do so to me, hehe. Same neutral bone cracking sountrack doesn't make units exceptional, I think it doesn't bother player while playing. By the way, basically there are very few sound tracks fitting skeletons, so a decent variaty is nearly impossible.
-The levels in Easy Mode were pretty easy until the final boss which seemed almost unbeatable.
Hehe, it is because units never ends! Last stage of each difficulty is nonstop enemy rush. Your mission is to kill boss, if you kill boss, rush stops, enemies dies in a spot they are standing and you are victorious, so the best solution would be to focus all your forces on the boss, sooner he dies, sooner it will end. And if you meant the exact boss was unbeatable, then you had low forces, it is best to order all your forces to attack the boss at once.
-The Waves were coming in a sort of a Que, almost like 1 unit at a time I believe it's kind of making it easier to kill them, mobs of 2-4 units in one line at one time would be better on this part.
It may occur, because in a very beginning of a wave there are some units that are faster than other ones, so they come first. Sooner or later enemies gathers in large number.
Almost no custom models for the Human, as it is a Single player Map I don't think having some more custom models for the enemy army would matter as they do look much better than Standard Blizzard ones
There are models, you cannot say that. Especially in normal and hard modes there is quite not bad variaty of models. Another thing, I was bashed by other hivers really hard long time ago due to big map's size. This map is only 1.6 MB and I am very satisfied about it. Making it 10 MBs would make some people cry out loud about their poor connectivity, even though it would look more beautiful.
-Lacks the all time Multi board like the other DN which constantly was in front of the player, in this one only a timer appears each time before wave
I believe you recently play really old version of Decisive Night, 30 minutes timer was removed long time ago, if you meant it. This map has same bones as first part does, wait, this is third part of Decisive Night, second one was a failure. :(

@Vengeancekael
I truly appreciate your time spent and thoughts, thanks, positive feedback makes me keep it up. Thank you for the rating as well.

A fountain or something which heals allied units would be nice, for after a wave you could go and heal yourself and get ready for the next wave.
Quite nice idea. I might think about it, maybe an upgrade which would heal forces while preparation time runs?
What would have made the map better would be a custom soundtrack maybe, a dark one, which would fit to the dark atmosphere.
I had my thoughts about it, since map is only 1.6 MB, this might work out, but since I really don't want to pass 4 MBs, the track might be short and repeatitive, which might annoy some players. While I play, I turn on the radio listening some fresh drum and bass, hehe.
Although the only thing that bothered me was the really hard difficulty, even on normal, I was defeated after the third wave, maybe try adjusting the enemy units' amount and adding tips would also be nice.
The only thing that needs adjustments would be the difficulty, it's way too hard.
This one was interesting. Personally, from my point of view, easy and normal modes are REALLY easy to me. I basically yawn playing it, only hard mode's 7+ waves gives me really hard times. This is probably because I am the creator of the map, I know everything about it and new guys know nothing, I think this is why you get crushed in normal mode, my bad. I was subjective again.
There is really nothing to tell about it, tips are very easy: use the logic. Tips would be pretty much the same as first Decisive Night has written in its description. Set units in one bunch, don't let them die, pick right items, upgrades, use hero as much as possible. Just in this one, I don't suggest to keep ranged enemy units on higher platforms like they are set in a very beginning. It not only might not have enough range to hit, but seting them close to other bunch would work as an additional wall to protect tower, so enemies would not run straight towards tower, it is quite visible in the screenshots. This is quite tricky, because there is one useless item, upgrade and useless platforms, I want to make players think, to use their heads, not falling for everything, like placing forces in some spots and observing the battle til field is cleared. Do not accept it offensive, that was just a purpose of mine to set map this way, even though people play it once and throws it away to garbage bin, not pouring effort to improve. :) Thank you for your thoughts again.

Edit: Updated to v1.2

Last edited:
Level 9
@MrStormyZ
I am glad you liked it as well, it means much to me. Thank you for your ideas and rating too.

Hm, I though I did everything what's in my power to make environment and terrain development great. Would be nice of you could share your thoughts about it, tell me what is it lacking in your opinion?
I can't specifically point it out, it's really good no doubt but I can't hide that slight feeling that says "Something's missing"
I was subjective on this. Personally, I don't like hearing sounds from units all the time, because it annoys me when I am 100% focused on the gameplay. That is why even hero has no sound track and units got just a silent bone cracking sound which really fits to skeletons, since your troops are based on skeletons. Playing this map you basically use hero most of the time, repeating sound track would drive player crazy! At least it would do so to me, hehe. Same neutral bone cracking sountrack doesn't make units exceptional, I think it doesn't bother player while playing. By the way, basically there are very few sound tracks fitting skeletons, so a decent variaty is nearly impossible.
Can't force you on that one, if you prefer it that way then It's k.

Hehe, it is because units never ends! Last stage of each difficulty is nonstop enemy rush. Your mission is to kill boss, if you kill boss, rush stops, enemies dies in a spot they are standing and you are victorious, so the best solution would be to focus all your forces on the boss, sooner he dies, sooner it will end. And if you meant the exact boss was unbeatable, then you had low forces, it is best to order all your forces to attack the boss at once.
Explains why I got OWNED :pir:

It may occur, because in a very beginning of a wave there are some units that are faster than other ones, so they come first. Sooner or later enemies gathers in large number.
guess it would occur more if I raise the difficulty.

There are models, you cannot say that. Especially in normal and hard modes there is quite not bad variaty of models. Another thing, I was bashed by other hivers really hard long time ago due to big map's size. This map is only 1.6 MB and I am very satisfied about it. Making it 10 MBs would make some people cry out loud about their poor connectivity, even though it would look more beautiful.
I didn't mean to say no models but well to keep up with in the intensity of the game, I do only remember the small gyrocopter custom model
but yet they're all pretty well selected.

I believe you recently play really old version of Decisive Night, 30 minutes timer was removed long time ago, if you meant it. This map has same bones as first part does, wait, this is third part of Decisive Night, second one was a failure. :(
what I meant was the Board which displayed constantly the Wave is currently running and how many more were left I guess it was removed from the other version too then

Edit: Updated to v1.2
Downloading!

Level 31
what I meant was the Board which displayed constantly the Wave is currently running and how many more were left I guess it was removed from the other version too then
Oh. Well I really can't remember such a thing, did it even exist? I think it is not so neccessary because after 30 seconds all enemies are visible, you may see all of them you have to eliminate. Numbers ain't so big as well, it might be 15-30 attackers per wave. But it is really good idea, I might think about it, this also would work well in my upcoming decisive night part.

Level 3
It's always good to find a single player map to play once and a while ;) That's considering that battle.net isn't active as it used to be and all. Here are some comments I have:

Good:
- Base looks neat, nothing that looks bad
- Having your tower use "emergency" spells
- Tooltips seem to explain everything (a handful of mistakes or things to fix, but nothing that disrupts gameplay)
- Nice models
- Interesting special abilities for the units

My suggestions:
- In my opinion, having custom icons for spells is annoying -- I'd constantly have to check the name of the spell I'm casting rather than just looking for the icon. If you used standard icons, I think it would be a lot easier to find the spell I'm looking for quicker.
- Waves seem very massive - Especially wave 10 and up, it just seems like you're sending a LOT of enemies.
- Spells for the hero were unbalanced, especially the one which shoots out those beams at enemies (and at level two does 350 dmg per hit)
- I encountered a situation where the enemy would ignore my melee units and just target my tower; upon restarting, this never happened.
- The tier 1 mages don't regenerate mana fast enough! They have plenty of max mana, but not enough regeneration.
- You should be able to heal your base for a cost.
- Castle re-terraining? Not sure about this one, but the first thing I did was pull my units out from the edges and put them closer to my tower. This way it's a better bottle-neck. So I was just wondering why there is a need for the extension.

Nonetheless, this map is a nice, light map to play. I'm looking forward to seeing you improve the game even more :)

Level 31
@Chief_Of_GxBxL
Thank you for the comment, rating and your thoughts.
- In my opinion, having custom icons for spells is annoying -- I'd constantly have to check the name of the spell I'm casting rather than just looking for the icon. If you used standard icons, I think it would be a lot easier to find the spell I'm looking for quicker.
It is because you are foreign to this map. Playing more you would get used to these and there would be no complains. Custom icons makes it look better and more unique looking. This is really normal that you have no idea what those spells do etc, this just needs some time to get used. Blizzard icons just would make some people to complain and look blunt.
- Waves seem very massive - Especially wave 10 and up, it just seems like you're sending a LOT of enemies.
Umm yeah, because mass makes it harder. Of course I could make different units that are like two in one, but mass is more fun in my opinion.
- Spells for the hero were unbalanced, especially the one which shoots out those beams at enemies (and at level two does 350 dmg per hit)
The system of these beams is different than you think. Once you activate that spell, primary beams shoot at enemies, just like Fan of Knifes of Warden. So these very first beams do 350, then trigger adds additional spell, remake of Phoenix Fire, which shoot enemies way lower damage. So spell is basically changing by primary damage, rest beams do same damage and I think this is quite balanced due to big masses, right?
- I encountered a situation where the enemy would ignore my melee units and just target my tower; upon restarting, this never happened.
Sorry, I didn't get your point here, can you explain more detailed?
- The tier 1 mages don't regenerate mana fast enough! They have plenty of max mana, but not enough regeneration.
That is why you have to make new mages or research an Upgrade that restores mana and health while preparation time.
- You should be able to heal your base for a cost.
You can do it already. There is an item, a scroll that heals Tower for 800 hit points if I remember correctly. If you meant forces, there is an Upgrade that heals while preparation time, between the intervals of waves.
- Castle re-terraining? Not sure about this one, but the first thing I did was pull my units out from the edges and put them closer to my tower. This way it's a better bottle-neck. So I was just wondering why there is a need for the extension.
I am glad you did it. This is a proper way to play it, these terrains is just way to trick players. I am glad you have strategic mindset. +rep for this.

Currently I am busy on other single player project, but I might improve it sooner or later. Thanks again. :)

Level 4
Why the hell is this on the newest updated map? Even though it's still v1.2.....
What the heck just happened????

P.S. this map is almost 1 year old

Level 9
I may be bumping at a very old map. But I have a bug. I thought this was a stable version.

I can't upload to THW. Now I can't give the bug replay to you. I will only tell you the summary of what happened :

I chose normal mode. Though I suck at this kind of maps, I passed 1st wave. And on second wave, a dialog appears, making me pick what difficulty should I choose. I picked normal, of course. But I saw it spawn 2 Timers. My Army was swarmed instantly, and I lost with Normal 1st Round combined with the 2nd Round Wave.

Please Fix this bug. Thanks.