• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Invasion - ORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Arkan Presents:
Dark Invasion

Players: (1)2-5
A co-operative RPG;
Join the scourge invasion as one of the heroes of the cult and conquer the last of the world!

Latest version: 1.0.5
Forums: http://z7.invisionfree.com/DarkInvasion
Download: www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/4895
Promotion video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMZ7UQfschg

"If you think this is one of those cute RPGs where you save children and help ladies in need, you are dead wrong!"

Note: This game is intended for multiplayer, saving/loading is disabled in single player mode.

==Heroes & Leveling==
You can choose from five characters, though they are basically all the same, they have a unique ability
(more on this later). Heroes start out with no spells, they'll have to be purchased, this allows
you to totally customize your hero.

When you gain a level, you get to choose the attributes you want instead of a fixed gain.

The attributes used in this game are STR (HP increase), DEX (Atk spd increase), INT (MP increase),
MAG (efficiency of spells) and LUCK (chance of landing a critical strike among other things).

==Weapon system==
There are 3 types of weapons in this game, piercing, edged and blunt.
It's like a rock-scissors-paper system where piercing weapons are good against light armor,
edged are good against medium armor and blunt are good against heavy armor.

Piercing weapons include daggers, spears, bows and crossbows.
Edged weapons include swords, Two-handed swords and axes.
Blunt weapons include staves/staffs and hammers.

You may only wear one weapon at any time, however your backpack sheep can carry any amount.

Furthermore, weapon classes have their certain properties, such as daggers give bonus to DEX, hammers
have a chance of bashing etc.

I have written a melee/ranged transformation system which allows you to actually fire ranged projectiles when
you pickup a bow or a crossbow.

==Spell system==
By damaging enemies and using your abilities you'll eventually gain Skill Points (SP). SP can be used
to increase your skill in various sorcery and battle techniques.

These include White Sorcery (curative magicks), Black Sorcery (offensive magicks), Green Sorcery
(offensive/supportive magicks, often causing status ailments), Time Sorcery (offensive/supportive,
often causing status ailments) and Techniques (offensive/supportive, requires no MP to use).

Spells are bought with Ability Points (AP) gained from killing (you don't need to be the one
delivering the fatal blow). You may only learn a spell if you have the required
Sorcery/Technique level for that particular spell.

In this way you can specialize in becoming for eg. a black sorcerer or mix to your own liking.

You may only have 6 spells at a time, meaning you will have to unlearn a spell if you want
to learn a new one, this can be done with -unlearn command. Some spells become more or less
obsolete and can be replaced by more powerful ones whilst some may prove to be useful throughout the game.

All spells are 100% custom triggered with plenty of eye-candy.

==Anger system==
When your hero takes damage, he will build up anger, this is displayed in an "Anger Meter" above your hero.
When your Anger Meter is filled, you can perform a special ability, known as your LIMIT BREAK (much like in Final Fantasy VII).
This ability is offensive and costs no MP. Anger is reset when you use your LIMIT BREAK or when you die.
The amount of punishment needed to fill the bar increases with your level.

==Quest system==
At the beginning of the game, A player will be elected as "Party Leader", only he can accept
quests.
A new Party Leader can be elected, should you like. The desired Party Leader will have to type -vote.

Characters that are offering quests have an ! above their head. Approach them and you will be asked to help
him/her. You'll get to choose if you want to accept the quest or not, a suggested party level is
displayed for every quest. It is generally a bad idea to accept a level 17 quest if your average party
level is 4.
You may only do one quest at a time, should your current quest be too difficult, the Party Leader
can type -abort and the quest will be marked as failed and you can take a new one.
Note: certain "key quests" cannot be aborted.

If you want to attempt a failed quest again you will have to restart the game.

Legends
Apart from quests, you may attempt to slay the legends. The Legends are extremely powerful monsters scattered
around the map. Great honor for those who manage to beat them all!

==Gaining gold==
Enemies rarely drop gold, they do drop loot though. Loot can be sold at markets around the map.
Deraks the merchant is willing to buy about anything you find, his prices vary though so be sure
to check the price listings before selling your loot. Prices of all loot is shown in a huge multiboard that can be accesed by clicking Deraks or one of his post signs.
There is an option to split gold gained from selling loot; -autoloot on.
If autoloot is on, gold given will be split equally among the party. Only the party leader can enable/disable
autoloot mode.

Loot is dropped from dying enemies, but there are other ways to line your pockets, such as fishing or digging
for treasures.

Note: Keep your eyes open for rare loot! Many weapons, armor and accessories can only be aquired from loot.
Rare loot also includes Grimoires which are required to learn the greatest magicks.

==Revival system==
Should your hero die, a grave will be placed upon his death location. A timer will appear above
the grave, counting down to 0. When it reaches 0 you will be revived at the Crystal in Volgerad,
you will lose 20% of your current gold.

You can however be revived at your death location if someone casts the magick "Raise" or if someone
uses the item "Unholy Cross" on your grave.

==Screenshots==

Special thanks goes to AceHart who designed the core of the Save/Load mechanism, Vexorian for his optimizer and the people behind the New Generation JASS pack.

I will gladly accept suggestions, comments or bug reports!

Last edited:

at

at

Level 4
Sounds great, I'm going to try it right away!
I like the weapon system, seams good. I'll will come with suggestions as soon as I played it.
The terrain doesn't look to bad either.
/at

EDIT: Hm, I see, multiplayer only...
Well, anyone that wants to try it with me?

Level 6
Il try it with u right now, this map seems really good and the terrain has really good detail from the screenshots, are they the basic classes or your own unique ones though?

~4rankie~

at

at

Level 4
Played abit, this is what I thought of:

1. It's very hard in the beginning. Atleast if you're only 2 you die all the time.
Kind of annoying.

2. You should be able to pick up the quest again if you fail it.

3. The quest log system is very annoying. It's hard to know what to do with your quests.

4. You should have more explanation in the beginning, and a more clear description of where you can train everything. I couldn't find anything :]

5. The terrain is not that great in some places. Very flat and it lacks environment doodads.

6. Explain in the quests where to go.

7. Extend the inventory if possible

8. I can find where to sell the first trash items. And if you can't why do they drop at all?

9. Why can you only have one quest at the time?

10. You lose alot of money when you die, and in combination with the hard mobs, it causes alot of loss. Maybe you could rework this part abit?

11. Make the pots cheaper, it's the only way to stay alive.

This is all I can think of by now. The spell/class system is really cool, well done! Never seen anything like it before.
Keep the good work up, and I hope you'll keep working on this :]
Regards
/at

Level 9
Thanks for the criticism.

Played abit, this is what I thought of:

1. It's very hard in the beginning. Atleast if you're only 2 you die all the time.
Kind of annoying.

Try to find more players then :p

2. You should be able to pick up the quest again if you fail it.

I disagree on this one. The outcome of some quests affect others.

3. The quest log system is very annoying. It's hard to know what to do with your quests.

You can type -qinfo if you forgot what to do or where to go.

4. You should have more explanation in the beginning, and a more clear description of where you can train everything. I couldn't find anything :]

Yeah maybe, I'm not sure how though, there's a tutorial dude in the first city, maybe he's not enough...

5. The terrain is not that great in some places. Very flat and it lacks environment doodads.

Any certain locations you have in mind?

6. Explain in the quests where to go.

See 3.

7. Extend the inventory if possible

Hmm, don't think I will do that, remember you have a backpack if you press Esc.

8. I can find where to sell the first trash items. And if you can't why do they drop at all?

Drop them on the circles you find at the markets, there are no useless items :)

9. Why can you only have one quest at the time?

That's how I wanted it to be from the start, thought is to keep the party together.

10. You lose alot of money when you die, and in combination with the hard mobs, it causes alot of loss. Maybe you could rework this part abit?

You lose 20% of your stock. You can counter it with unholy cross or revive magicks.

11. Make the pots cheaper, it's the only way to stay alive.

Will consider it. It is a good idea to have one guy in the party with healing skills though :)

This is all I can think of by now. The spell/class system is really cool, well done! Never seen anything like it before.
Keep the good work up, and I hope you'll keep working on this :]

Thanks, I will

Regards
/at

at

at

Level 4
Makes sense, most of it. ;) The backpack system is not the best I've seen, but it's working :]
And then about the tutorial guy, I didn't know he existed. A tip: at the cinematic that plays when you enter the city, zoom to him and say like "Talk to blablabla if you want to learn about the mysteries of magic. He can tell you anything you need" And then when you talk to him, there's a new cinematic that tells you about the different magics and that also zooms in to the different trainers and tells you about them. Something like that. (If you didn't do that already)
About the terrain. I don't know, it's just a feeling I got. Maybe a little more flowers, stones and mushrooms in the forest and such? The cities looks good though.
Regards
/at

Level 9
I'm the only person working on it, though many people contribute with ideas and suggestions. I made many maps before, none of them completed :p

So yeah, never worked on a project for as long as this one o_O

On a side note, I've decided to enable Single Player mode in future releases. This means saving/loading will be disabled aswell as some other features.

at

at

Level 4
To bad single player will be almost impossible against these mobs ;)

Level 13
You made this whole map?? Wow, nice job man! I never finished a map too, and when I was finally getting somewhere with a map, my mom uninstalled my wc3 :(

Is the map protected? Were you writing in JASS or GUI? (I have to ask such dumb questions for no reason)

Level 9
The map is protected in a way that means WE will crash if you try to open it directly.

Written from scratch in JASS making use of new generation structs and libraries. The only thing I didn't write was the Save/Load core which is written by AceHart.

at:
Might toss in a few starting potions to help get past the first soldier camp :p

Level 6
Sounds very awsome! I havn't played it yet (not multi-player :( and i don't have much time for b.net right now) so you should get that in there, but I have a couple of questions.
1. Is there PvP?
2.When do you estimate that the single-player version will come out?

Anyway, I'll try it out sometime.

Level 2
You made a very fun map Arkan, its just that pretty much no one knows about it. You NEED to advertise your map more, spread the word of your map, host DL Only games on bnet and so on.

You need to make this map more popular. Because no one knows how good it is or no one knows the map even exists.

Also could you please add more playable character models? Because you have so few of them and its annoying seeing 5 people in a game with the same character as you.

Level 9
You made a very fun map Arkan, its just that pretty much no one knows about it. You NEED to advertise your map more, spread the word of your map, host DL Only games on bnet and so on.

You need to make this map more popular. Because no one knows how good it is or no one knows the map even exists.

Also could you please add more playable character models? Because you have so few of them and its annoying seeing 5 people in a game with the same character as you.
Thanks, I'm not sure how I could advertise it more without being an ass though :p
I could host some DL only games, if I found a working auto-refresher.

I'm thinking of adding more models, but I'm not sure if they should have unique limit breaks too, or just let them have the current ones.

ohhhh i get it. so can you upgrade the wep for more dmg?
Nah, you really just have to buy new ones, there are plenty to choose from :)
Some items can be upgraded though.

Level 6
Need for save!

I was playing through the single-player version, and I noticed that you could not save your character (yes, I already knew this before I started playing) but not only that, but whenever I tried to save via wc3 save, it would crash. I know you don't want single-player save in so people don't just take their guy, pump him up, then hop online to kill everyone and everything, but here's a thought: Why not make save character save available to single-player, but put in the save code something like, if - single-player, then - set [var]=1(meaning its a single player save) else - set [var]=2(meaning a multi-player save. Then if someone tries to use a "1" save file in a multi-player game, it won't let them. So you can come back and advance through single player without having to start over. It would be cool if you added this into your next version. Anyway, I love this map!

Level 1
Do you have an home page?
It would be nice to have a site were you can look at all the spells available in the game, and see what kinda quest there is, forum, info, events etc.

Love your game! Keep up the good, no wait... Keep up the GREAT work!

Status
Not open for further replies.