• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark age terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Here are some of the terrain of my abandoned SRPG, "DARK AGE". I think they are good enough to be posted here.

211785-albums5435-picture57010.jpg

211785-albums5435-picture57008.jpg

211785-albums5435-picture57009.jpg

211785-albums5435-picture57007.jpg

Hope you like it.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Level 23
Fladd already has pointed out a lot of the stuff that I would have pointed out aswell.
I really like that you do not solely rely on the B²M typical high res pack, but added different more uncommon stuff to it. On how well those really work together, that's a different question. I am not yet sure about it.
But it's certainly a good thing to vary here.
On a minor note: It seems like some Unit models are unshaded or at least unfogged. Is this on purpose?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I can't really see real terrain here. All I see is some highress doodads and wow imports being put together almost randomly on flat ground. The screenshot of the cathedral is stupid. 80% of the screenshot is just one doodad.
Showing terraining work should actually involve terraining - but that's just my thoughts.

Level 28
Way to go to encourage people,

Instead of saying shit about people's work, why don't help them improve. I know Fladd and Morbid wasn't impress about my work, but instead of saying this is stupid, they left with good advice. And if you don't like peoples work, then do your own.

Beside this map is was supposed to be a SRPG of mine but never been develop, so it become a compilation of high res models.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Way to go to encourage people,

Instead of saying shit about people's work, why don't help them improve. I know Fladd and Morbid wasn't impress about my work, but instead of saying this is stupid, they left with good advice. And if you don't like peoples work, then do your own.

Beside this map is was supposed to be a SRPG of mine but never been develop, so it become a compilation of high res models.
Look, it didn't want to insult you, but you gotta agree that the amount of actual *work* you put into this 'terraining' is less than average.
It would be *totally* different if the models were made by you. In this case, this counts indeed as terraining. But this is clearly not the case here.

You can easily tell what could be improved by my criticism: Show actual terraining instead of a compilation of highress doodads. Add detail to the streets and ground. Add detail to the buildings (yes, they are highress but still very undetailed ... this was intentional by b²m as I suppose he wanted to use doodad art to add to the detail level like adding plants to the windows, etc.) and so on.

And come on, at least calculate the shadowmap before you take a picture.

Level 3
Quite -well -works.
But whaat I perfer is the second one.
As for the others, I'm afraid the sence you made was too ........Bare (you know what I mean right?) .
Perhaps you need more types of grass textures.

Level 21
tbh one of the shittest things about high res packs is the tilework. there is really no decent set of tiles, they all look just so much worse than, for example, ashenvale. say what you will about blizzard, their tiles rule in most cases. especially in relative comparison :- (!
on that note, i'd suggest that you leave little ground visible when using high res tiles by using grass models and shit. it just always has a nasty look to it. so in towns, crowd the streets with small objects - wheels, wheelbarrows, all sorts of shit. in forests, crowd around the paths, rocks, flowers, trees, etc. and then pay close attention to how you make the paths :- )

Level 28
As I said on the first post, this is a abandoned project, and if not little then will never get any progress. End of discussion no more throwing woods on the flame.

Oh also for the shadows. I calculate it, but after two hours, the saving is still not finish(just have way) cause you this is a 256x256 map, and I just show you little of the finish work, that city is a take 1/4 of the map, you just never saw how big it is :D.

Level 17
you mixed Uldum models with european houses... if you are unaware those brown houses with the inscribed rocks are from a desert terrain setting not to say that it looks bad because it does not just nothing new. Its "a town" and the only reason it was made is because of the models i mean what's next you gonna make a forest because you have good tree models?

Status
Not open for further replies.