• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Need Info] Damage Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So I played around with some triggers and found that dealing damage is not as simple as in WC3. It now suggests EFFECT and EXTRA damage.

Should I be confused by the term EXTRA? Are there other damages applied beyond the trigger???

But more importantly, is the -effect- relevant?

Should damage be defined in the Data Editor first rather than trying to apply "custom damage" through triggers?

Thank you in advance :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Should I be confused by the term EXTRA? Are there other damages applied beyond the trigger???
Yes it deals the effect damage as expected. The extra damage is applied to the effect damage to produce a total damage. If the effect has 0 damage then the extra damage controls all damage dealt. Do note that since it is an effect doing the damage it will be subject to all damage modifiers the source unit has unless the effect specifically is set to ignore them.

But more importantly, is the -effect- relevant?
Yes as that determines the source of the damage (the effect that caused the damage). It should be a damage effect for logical reasons. This is useful as it allows for damage filters to some extent (only reduce damage if damage is from effect X for example). If you do not need to use this functionality simply create a single damage effect for use with triggers and use it to deal all trigger damage.

Should damage be defined in the Data Editor first rather than trying to apply "custom damage" through triggers?
It all depends what you want to do. If you want fixed amounts of damage then use the data editor. If you want the damage to be from a complex formula then make the effect 0 damage and apply all the damage with the extra damage field from a trigger.

In all cases it is important to be aware of how damage modifiers are affecting the damage. If you are not careful you can end up dealing far more damage than intended due to a large damage modifier on the unit.

Level 8
Ah this is very useful information indeed! Thank you so much!

For now, I think I'll play around and do some testing to get a better grasp of it all before trying to contstruct anything. I wish I could give u some more rep but I already did recently^^
Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.