• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Unsolved] Shield Damage Response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello!

So I've been working on an Arcade game, and my most recent Hero has an ability that reads roughly as follows:

"Toggled. Whenever <name> takes damage, gain a Shield equal to the damage taken and lose a small amount of Willpower."

Basically, I want a damage response that waits until AFTER damage has been dealt and then removes a small amount of energy and adds Shields to the unit.

The way it currently works is with a "Vital Gained From Damage Taken", but unfortunately that applies the Shield before the damage is actually dealt, which effectively makes the Hero invulnerable.

How should I make this trigger whenever damage is taken but occur after the damage is dealt? Is this possible?

Thanks for reading this :)

Level 2
Huh. Hadn't thought of that.

But the problem with that is that it effectively means that while the toggled ability is active, it's as though there aren't any Shields because it takes damage anyway.

There's also abilities that give the hero Shields...

It seems like your solution would just mean that if he had 500 life and 200 shields and took 15 damage, he'd go to 485 life and 215 shields. Or maybe 185 shields. Either way, I'm not sure that would accomplish what I want...

Status
Not open for further replies.