• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Water Elemental

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
After some feedback from my previous submission, here is my second attempt at a model.

This model is meant to be an alternative to the normal Water Elemental that is currently in Warcraft 3.

The following animations are implemented:
  • Stand
  • Stand 2
  • Stand 3
  • Walk
  • Attack
  • Attack 2
  • Attack 3
  • Spell
  • Birth
  • Death
This model is designed for Classic Warcraft 3
Contents

Custom Water Elemental (Model)

Reviews
Mister_Haudrauf
Okay, as @Kyrbi0 said: This is better. Way Better and i like the direction your taking. However there are several issues that i hope you're going to work on. -------------------------------- 1. Using Collision is good, however it is better, if you're...
loktar
Adds some variation for water elementals, and the design is original. The animations are adequate, but quite stiff and don't flow very well. It doesn't give the impression of flowing water. Additionally, some of the animations don't loop properly...
Level 30
Okay, as @Kyrbi0 said: This is better. Way Better and i like the direction your taking. However there are several issues that i hope you're going to work on.

--------------------------------
1. Using Collision is good, however it is better, if you're use a CollisionSphere. Just at the Vanilla War3 Water Elemental.

2. You don't have a Camera, so the models Portrait will always be different. This is not good. If you want examples just look at the Razormane model for Reference.

3. Some of the models animations are fine like the birth animation. However other animations need more love. Namely: Attack (1 to 3), Spell and the Stand animations. They are lackluster, robotic and not really organic. You're dealing with Water. If it moves it doesn't necessarily need to stay in shape. Just look at the Water Elemental.

Overall: I like it, but it always can get better. There is always room for improvement. Setting to Awaiting Update, until further notice.

Level 6
@Mister_Haudrauf I don't understand what you mean in your second point by "You don't have a Camera"?

In my .mdl file, I see this:
Camera "Camera" {
Position {294.498993, 219.72261, 252.915894},
FieldOfView 0.691111,
FarClip 1000.000000,
NearClip 1.000000,
Target {
Position {293.747864, 219.115295, 252.657104},
}
}

I don't quite understand what I'm missing?

I looked at the Razormane .mdl file, and I see that there are some camera animations there. Is this what you mean?

Level 30
@Mister_Haudrauf I don't understand what you mean in your second point by "You don't have a Camera"?

In my .mdl file, I see this:

I don't quite understand what I'm missing?

I looked at the Razormane .mdl file, and I see that there are some camera animations there. Is this what you mean?

Okay. My bad, but adding Portrait animations is going to get a better result. Also the Camera is too far away, a little bit closer to the head is better.

Level 30
@smithyjones Alright. The animations are better, however what i see now is that the Creature doesn't really look like it is punching you, more like pushing you around. (For Reference look at most Close ranged units like the Grunt or the Footman) Aside from "Attack", which looks like a ranged attack to me. Maybe you can build on the fact that it is both a Melee and ranged summon. Also you could add "Attack Slam"-animations in which it transforms two or one of its arms into a Hammer-like shape to smash it's enemies to pieces.

Adds some variation for water elementals, and the design is original.
The animations are adequate, but quite stiff and don't flow very well. It doesn't give the impression of flowing water. Additionally, some of the animations don't loop properly (first frame and last frame aren't the same).

I'm putting this in Substandard, but feel free to ask for a new review if you work on the animations further. You might want to take a look at the original water elemental and see how it stretches and contracts and look at the dynamics of its movement.

That said, this is quite a good effort for a second model, keep it up!