• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Terrain Texture Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey there.

I've been trying to create a modified texture for one of my maps to be used as terrain.

My procedure:
1. Export image file for Felwood-Poison to folder as a .tga using WCIII Image Extractor II
2. Open image in Irfanview
3. Do a color swap (That's the extent of my changes) using a function in the program.
4. Save as a new .tga
5. Open in WCIII Image Extractor II
6. Save as a new .blp file in the folder where my map is
7. Import the .blp into my map
8. Set the path to "TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_Rock.blp" as it is a texture that uses the same image size as Felwood Poison

When I try to generate this texture in my map, I just get a black square at any point where I try to generate it.

A couple of things:
- I'm already using Felwood-Poison for this map, and want both of them. (The modified version has a gold color instead of a green color)
- I've run triggers before that arbitrarily pick random textures from the WCIII archive and put them in the map at runtime, regardless of the tileset they come from, and had no issues thus far.
- I'm normally too cheap to actually pay for an image editing program (hence, Irfanview) so unless you think that program specifically is the problem, that is the one I will be using indefinitely.

So can anyone help me figure out why my custom texture is failing to show?

Level 4
you can do it in GIMP as well which is a free program but yeah Photoshop and Fireworks are probably your best choices.
Also when I was experimenting with terrain way back when i had a similar problem that depended on what type of terrain surrounded mine. If I recall correctly all you need to do is set it to replace a very common tile like the pathways of a town. And always when using a custom terrain use a custom terrain set.
Good luck in your endeavor and hope I have been able to help in some way shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.