• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Custom Spell] Useful things to do with Dark Conversion-based spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Not sure if anyone have ever find this out, but Dark Conversion could be extremely useful if you want to have different conversion unit type with custom effect without any custom triggers!!!

All you need to do, is allow negative value in Preferences and then:
- Unit used for conversion: In Unit Editor, Unit field: Stats - Race, just Shift+Left Click and Enter whatever race you prefer. For example: Alien, Weirdo....
- Created custom spell based on Dark Conversion: In Abilities Editor, Data - Race to Convert, Shift+Left Click and re-enter the exact name of race you previously choose. Feel free to change other value inside the spell such as effect, duration, buff, target allowed...

Woala, test and see bunch of custom convert spells working together. No longer Zombie-exclusive. You can even create a Mass Converstion AOE spell with this.

Edit: Sorry in advance if I post this in wrong section.

Attachments

• TestConversion.w3x
    20 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Level 20
I think you'll find that this is a lot more limited than it looks. In particular the transformed unit doesn't inherit any ability that was on the original unit (while this can be desirable it seriously limits what you can do with it).

It's actually "voila".

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I have tried planning out a way to use Dark Conversion (& it's partner spell, Soul Preservation), but hadn't really run into a good chance to use it.

That is, of course, before I thought to mess with it as you suggest. I don't know if I even knew that could work... I've only ever used Shift+click to enter forbidden numbers, not strings...

Do you have a test map proving this works? I'm really curious... Not sure yet what I'd do with it, but thanks for the idea!

Level 14
transformed unit doesn't inherit any ability that was on the original unit.
Yes, it's a drawback, in exchange of the conversion. That's when you comeback to replacing unit- stuff.

it's a bit annoying that changing the race makes units disappear from the tool palette
It's funny cause you can still able to add them into the map first, then change its race later. Don't know how to solve this.

Do you have a test map proving this works
Yes, here it is.

I even try to add new abilities to these unit using triggers, but do not work. It seems they are hard-coded for special campaign only.

But well, Dark Conversion still useful enough to be a unique spell after all. These units are not summoned units, but each acted as a almost-perfect copy of original ones.

Attachments

• TestConversion.w3x
    20 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.