• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom races applied for all maps (modding)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I play with the thought to finalize the custom races which are half done by Blizzard and never implemented fully because of balance reasons, so they appear only in the campaigns/ in certain custom maps.

So the goal is to implement (make playable) the following races to all maps (melee included):
  • Naga
  • Fel Orc
  • Blood Elf
  • Silvermoon Elf (High Elf)

So to make them playable in melee games (how to add near the default 4?), also to appear in the world editor as different races, as right now there are only the naga, and even that get into the neutral, and not as de facto (basic) race.

For first turn to avoid unneccesary tasks:
1. Is there any mod which (even partly) done such?
2. Is there a tutorial what I did miss about adding (new) races for all melee maps/ campaigns (not just custom ones)?

If this worth the effort I will probably update the basic campaigns to use the new MPQ instead of map level specification.

If it turns out very fun/ worthwhile probably with the permission of the original creators import some unique races (from the map/ campaign level into game engine MPQ) as well, like:
- Ice trolls/ Tuskarr from: Avatar of Ice

This is not a for sure project/ plan.
Right now I try to evaluate the effort needed to do such/ possible major difficulties.

Level 25
As far as I know, this is not worth it. You would have to modify the mpq files, which means other people would be unable to play this with you unless they replaced their original mpq files with your modified ones. Then they would be unable to play any other map unless they removed your mpq files.
From my point of view, that's too much of a hassle and a potential risk of installing something bad from untrusted third party.

Last edited:
Level 3
Then they would be unable to play any other map unless they removed your mpq files.

Why should it make maps unplayable? 🤔
For some 7 years now I do use a separate MPQ file with the two separate exe.
The mod MPQ itself contains all neccesary data up to 1.26, and only some never changed graphic called from original MPQ files.

All original MPQ files are there, as does original exe files (by the way they are funcion as version change if wish), so there is no need to remove anything -> simply start a different exe.

But there never was any map what I cannot play.
In some ROC maps happens when play it with FT exe: comes a lag. But not sure that is related to the mod as many people reported similar problems without any mod use.

So about compatibility:
Not affraid at all. This is true for most games: need to use the same mods if wanna play with others.
too much of a hassle and a potential risk of installing something bad from untrusted third party.
😂
That means you against any mods for any game.
Some folks prefer vanilla, while there are some mod fanatics like me, who (when the certain game engine let it) uses 50+.

Level 3
Let`s talk about:
How it is possible to add the "new" races to the melee games via game MPQ?

Without deeply try it looks like need to edit the following files:
- blizzard.j
To add for the start location base building, and basic units.
- comon.ai
To (at least) add unit lists.

Not sure about it needs separate:
  • ai files based on race but most likely yes
  • pld files ?
Well that is problem as I never tried to create AI. 🙄

Still don`t know what exactly needs to be done to add the "new" race to the dropdown list during the melee game creation - in case it is not automatic when the above ones done.

About UnitBalance/ UnitWeapons/ UpgradeData/ "race"UpgradeFunc/ "race"UpgradeStrings -> that is not difficult.

But remains a question:
Does the "new" races need separate:
-"race"UnitFunc
-"race"UnitStrings
Or call it from present location (even if units are expanded with new ones)?

What else needed?

Still don`t know what exactly needs to be done to add the "new" race to the dropdown list during the melee game creation - in case it is not automatic when the above ones done.
The Dropdown is defined in "ui\framedef\glue\playerslot.fdf" but the problem is that the game does not expect additional MenuItems, they will not have any effect or for the playerRace can not be selected.

there is a software in the tool section that says it can do the stuff you want: MM Engine - Version 2.0.4 (Dev Build)
MM Engine is a major modification that complements the original WC3 with such features as loading custom mpqs at the War3Patch.mpq level; adding custom races, including interface and voice acting; creating your own campaigns at the level of the original and much more!

Level 3
there is a software in the tool section that says it can do the stuff you want

Not sure the program itself needed as that do stuff in regard with the patch MPQ/ load order/ adds mod folder while I already have a separate MPQ with it`s 2 own exe files. There are many potencial for bugs when mixing multiple modding methods.

BUT:
Stage 2: Scripts
In spoiler:
Properly show "how to" edit Blizzard.j and common.j. to add new races.
It is good enough to deserve a thread in the tutorial section. 🥳
Also the other parts are useful as well.

Even if not use the program itself the tutorial is 5 star good.

Status
Not open for further replies.