• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Race fpr melee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Custom Race for melee

I attempt to create some custom races for fun to melee type match, but I seem to missing something (quite a lot actually).

I read a custom race tutorial here and modified existing races, but when I followed some changes, like warning and idle worker face, it applied to all races (like changing peon in game interface, changed all race's idle worker to the set one). How can I apply it to a single race instead of all?

Also, I don't know if there's option to add or modify the pickable races' name (instead of human to naga for example).

Last edited:
Level 20
Was sure that tutorial cowered everything. I must addmit your post is a bit unclear to me so I'll try to answer as much as I can.

1) About worker icon - if you want to effect just one race then here is what you do. Import icon you want and set a custom path to replace one of the 4 workers. This way if you select human race only peasant icon will be changed but not for peon, acolyte and wisp. Of course this means you can't have peasant anymore so you can just replace one of the 4 races and not add 5th one. Personally I prefer to use "Go Back To Work" icon for idle worker.

For Peasant Icon path is "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeasant.blp". Don't forget disabled version too.

2) About changing race pick names - You can do it but it only changes after game ends. You change it in Advance - "Custom Game interface". It changes for all maps amusingly.

Level 5
How can I export existing icons to use them as idle worker? And I have to do this change in the interface's peon part? I don't remember seeing idle worker disabled option.

Also, something similar works for the warnings, like completed upgrade and building? I have to import those too and change it in the interface as well?

Level 20
Ok I honestly can't remember how to extract an icon from game. So alternatively I say use button manager and make your own icon from in game screenshot (printscreen). It is very easy to use. Also forget now game interface options and set it back to default, all you are going to use is import manager. Remember each icon has standard version and disabled version.

Standard version icon should have path set to "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeasant.blp"
Disabled version is "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\BTNPeasant.blp"

This is honestly standard icon importing, nothing complicated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for sound that is not changed at all in game interface only the written warnings are. You should be looking at sound editor. import desired sound and then replace it. If it is in game sound it can be exported from sound editor and then imported back to replace some other sound.

Warning sounds are under Sound-Interface-Warnnings
Building and Upgrade are under Sound-Buildings

Level 5
Pardon my noobness, I'm missing something. How do I render the picture to it's proper race. Assuming I want a murgul slave instead of the peasant. Should I name my new icon the same way or how does the game identify it?

The original is "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeasant.blp" as you said, but I don't get how it'll know that my imported file want to be an idle-worker icon of a specific race?

Btw, if the tool you gave works properly, it'll save me from a lot of previous misery.

EDIT: Okay, I'm dummy, I realized what you said and it worked. But what about the disabled version? Should I double import the picture for that? One pic allows only one path.

Level 6
Pardon my noobness, I'm missing something. How do I render the picture to it's proper race. Assuming I want a murgul slave instead of the peasant. Should I name my new icon the same way or how does the game identify it?

Just change the model of the peasant and set its icon to that murgul slave icon.

The original is "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeasant.blp" as you said, but I don't get how it'll know that my imported file want to be an idle-worker icon of a specific race?

This is what it does is that it will override any existing textures/icons that are already in game, and will use what is imported in its path instead. Since you can't change idle worker icons for every race manually in the game interface, this is only the best solution since you will have to use this way if you want to design a custom race based on an existing race.

What VeljkoM was essentially describing to you is how you will be able to change the icon of a peasant that appears as the idle worker icon. You will have to import the same peasant icon if you want to use it for another specific reason and put it in a different path (i.e. Peasant2).

If you are trying to change it to another icon that is already in game then you will have to import that too.

Btw, if the tool you gave works properly, it'll save me from a lot of previous misery.

It works, I've been using it extensively for borderizing probably over 200-300 icons. What is the problem?

Level 5
My problem is the idle worker, the murgul appearance works fine. The first idle change worked fine, however, when I press the escape, the idle worker changes back to original peasant, regardless how I trying to involve the disabled version (I assume disabled is meant to the behind-menu icon).

Level 6
Disabled icons are disabled icons that are when they are disabled... like, when you get silenced, the game pauses, etc. or in any way that will cause your icons to appear black. Since it is still using peasant icon and you haven't imported the disabled icon, it doesn't overwrite the disabled icon and thus will show the peasant icon instead.

So... import the disabled icon too, using the path Veljko already mentioned in his post.

Level 5
I made another pic with disabled appearance, imported it and gave the path and it still changes to the original peasant :/

Level 6
There are two paths for regular icons which look like this:

ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNPeasant.blp

...and then there is a different one for disabled ones:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNPeasant.blp

I guess Veljko forgot to include the DIS in 'DISBTN' even though that doesn't probably matter here, Disabled is the most important part for importing disabled icons in the path. Make sure the name is same as to the first regular icon you imported, or it will not work.

Level 20
For Disable Icon you didn't need to make another screenshot. Button Manager can make BTN (regular icon), DSBTN (Disabled Regular Icon) and also Passive, Auto-Cast, Damage/Armor Icon and all of the icons always come in pairs for enabled and disabled version. And also Hero Score Screen Icon and Race Score Screen icon. Button Manager is very useful tool. I did miss DSBTN for the disabled icon but thanks to Alright for correcting it.

By the way won't you still need triggers for custom spells. If you worry about melee tag well forget it, the moment you touch something in object editor map becomes custom.

Level 5
If you want to replace sounds, just go to the sound editor, find the unit you want to replace sounds for, select one of the sounds and right click -> "replace with external sound".

There's only replace internal sound option and whenever I try it, it says it's already exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.