• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Custom model Skins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey Guys,

I've been thinking of doing a couple of custom model reskins (With permissions) the only problem is when I went to open the gile I realised. There was no blp file because the textures are sourced from within the game.

So, I was wondering if it's possible to extract like the template from the model so I can skin in the appropriate areas? or somehow edit the existing skin?

Thanks for reading

Roadkill

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Does the model use multiple textures or only one? If it's only one you can extract the skin from the .mpq and reskin it. If more models use the same texture, you should change the model's paths so that you can use both your skin and the original in the same map.

Level 4
Does the model use multiple textures or only one? If it's only one you can extract the skin from the .mpq and reskin it. If more models use the same texture, you should change the model's paths so that you can use both your skin and the original in the same map.

Multiple skins I think 6 or seven. I have no Idea how to do that haha do you think you could link me to a tutorial or teach me how?

Thanks shiiK

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You need a tool to extract texture-files from the WarCraftIII MPQ archives. For example, you can use WC3Viewer, available for download in the Tools-section:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/warcraft-iii-viewer-62878/

Now, if you know the paths of the textures the custom model uses, you can use this to find the .BLP files in one of the .MPQ archives (in your WC3 folder), and extract them (you should convert them to a file format you can edit with your art tools (.tga is a popular format for this).

After you've done the texturing (you can test it along the way using WC3Viewer, by opening the model you want to skin and changing it's source for skin to your .tga file), you should edit the model with new paths, so that you won't override the original textures in game, that might be used by other models. Lastly, you convert your .tga files back to .blp (make sure you do not save your .tga files with RLE compression) and import them to your map using the custom paths you set in the .mdl (you need to convert the model from .mdx to .mdl, and edit the file using Notepad or a similar text editing tool - by replacing the paths [only touch the paths] - and then convert it back to .mdx before you import it to your map).

This tutorial should be useful, and might clarify a few things that I rushed:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2d-art-tutorials-281/anti-noobism-texturing-92402/

Level 4
You need a tool to extract texture-files from the WarCraftIII MPQ archives. For example, you can use WC3Viewer, available for download in the Tools-section:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/warcraft-iii-viewer-62878/

Now, if you know the paths of the textures the custom model uses, you can use this to find the .BLP files in one of the .MPQ archives (in your WC3 folder), and extract them (you should convert them to a file format you can edit with your art tools (.tga is a popular format for this).

After you've done the texturing (you can test it along the way using WC3Viewer, by opening the model you want to skin and changing it's source for skin to your .tga file), you should edit the model with new paths, so that you won't override the original textures in game, that might be used by other models. Lastly, you convert your .tga files back to .blp (make sure you do not save your .tga files with RLE compression) and import them to your map using the custom paths you set in the .mdl (you need to convert the model from .mdx to .mdl, and edit the file using Notepad or a similar text editing tool - by replacing the paths [only touch the paths] - and then convert it back to .mdx before you import it to your map).

This tutorial should be useful, and might clarify a few things that I rushed:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2d-art-tutorials-281/anti-noobism-texturing-92402/

Cheers man!

The only problem now is WHICH PARTS OF THE MODEL USE WHICH PARTS OF THE SKIN!?! FUUUUU-

Status
Not open for further replies.