• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skinning custom models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Skinning custom models (bah)

!!!!-----------------------------------------------------------------!!!!
I have successfully got a Custom painted .blp to work on a custom made model (cube). The problem was with my .blp
I solved the problem by exporting the footmen .blp 256x256 for the size i wanted and opened it, wrote over it, resaved and it worked! I dont quite get why that works and how that info is put onto the .blp but I plenty of files to get the right size i want from ingame textures for now so its no biggy.
!!!!----------------------------------------------------------------!!!!
-Case Closed-

**K think this would solve everything. How do I make my mdx recognize my custom BLP? When i view it in warcraft 3 viewer and go to show current used textures, it says none. That must be the problem. But when i use ingame textures it shows on the viewer. So i just need to know how to make it recognize a custom blp?

I can't really seem to find a thread for skinning custom models? I think when u skin ingame models by just taking their skin out and touching it up and putting it back in its automatically used cause its the just the same but been painted over.

Now if u have a custom model, theirs nothing set on where the skin should go and i remember reading an article awhile back on something about geosets and stuff and the reason I never got into skinning but I could make gray models though.

Any Help? Here's a picture of just a very simple helm model I'm using atm.
Maybe i missed something but I think this way takes a different route?

Attachments

• Helm Peasant.JPG
    Helm Peasant.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Chao Eyes screen.jpg
    Chao Eyes screen.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Level 7
Unwrap

So if i unwrap in my modelling program, i wont need to include a blp when import the model again right? Just the Mdx?

Im using blender now but before blender i was using Gmax and was starting really get the hang of it and I could unwrap very nicely. But i switched to blender and havent the faintest clue on quite how to unwrap good.

I can unwrap and have a blurred image but dont know how to resize and scale like in gmax it had quite afew options of unwraping different ways then having able to rescale the image to fit good.

We could use a blender unwrap tutorial :D stickied :D.

Hmm i was just using some blurred gray blp from another model so mine would show and now it doesnt show without the blp. Guess i will need a blp to make it work. =|

Level 7
hmm so far it shows up invisible in editor and in viewing programs. hmm.
Thats using my own blp. I can use some totally random blp and it'll take on the blurred color of the random blp but wont show at all with mine. Both set the same path. hmmm, need a person that makes custom models with blender to describe how to apply a made skin unto a made model

Ugh, now i remember why i dropped modelling/texturing years ago lol. Skinning is not cool lol.

Just dont want to take wc3 models and texture them, stick pieces together,etc. Theirs no fun to it. I like to make whole new models then use custom skins =|.

man i dont get it, some units blp works to make my helm gray but when i take the blp convert to jpeg, scribble on it, convert back to tga-blp it doesnt make my model show.
It should show u think cuz its some random blp and its not set to my model anyway cept to use the path the model is using which only works with blps but not ones i make. UGH. ill just stick to gray models for awhile.

well learned how to unwrap in blender and only took about 30-45mins :). But my blp still didnt work for my model even when unwrapped in blender.

Dont get it that someone elses blp will work to put a image on my model but my own blp wont work. Is their something to the image that makes it work? i mean an image thats not even connected to my model works but one i make and apply in my model program doesnt even show it in wc3 :p?

Found the solution using ingames textures with blender. Made 2 posts if u noticed >< but 1 was about using blender to skin and another was just a simple skin question using custom-ingame blps so i hope thats not quite a double post :|.

***Main Problem-model is that green cube ingame saying cant show mdl whatever.***
I tried using a custom model and custom blp but it didnt work =|. I guess i can only do it atm with ingame texturs for sure now. Rawr il figure it out eventually.

----OK I think with the help of that program, I have decoded what is needed to show the model ingame `o_O. Heres a screenshot of a model i skinned quick of a cube. It looks very uniform so i think it might work for me now :D. And i think i see what alpha channels are all about being able to see through certain area's of the model cuz of certain area's of skin.----

*If theirs a tutorial for this using another program i'll gladly take that, i haven't seen a good tutorial describing how to do this yet after how many years.*

Alright the only thing I know how to currently do with skinning is associate a texture with a model but it it just comes all jagged and random since its not unwrapped, and thats only even with the program "Obj and 3dsToMdxConverter"

So im asking, can anyone give me some instructions if it isnt hard to explain: How to get just a ingame texture to show on a model editing the MDL file? I used gmax to make a cube and took the ancientprotector.blp and unwrapped it so it had neat drawings on the side but once converted into a mdl-mdx and put into game it was just a big red block like it always is.

I only know of one tutorial that describes how to do it but i dont understand it.
Materials-texture tutorial
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/modelmaterial.php
Main tutorial page
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/magos.php#model4

I would be so happy if i could get just a cube ingame to show an ingame skin unwrapped on it neatly like i do in gmax.

Attachments

• Skinning.jpg
    Skinning.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
oh crap

Oh craaap i didnt notice! ><! Maybe i can ask a mod to erase 3 of them. I was working nonstop into the early morning and the frustration and tiredness must'v got me :|. If not then sorry, ive always made sure to wait 2 days before posting if no-one else has posted.

*edit* Wait only 3 of them are in that 2day range. Thats only 2 violations instead of 3 ><?

Status
Not open for further replies.