• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom map size limit {solved}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi all.
In a map that I'm working on , I'd like to have a lot of high quality models , but the problem is the size of the map is getting big (average size of high quality models is 2 MB per model) so is there a limit for a Warcraft map size ? How much is that limit? 15 MB?20?30? Also is there a difference between single player map & multiplayer ones in size limit? will size make maps laggy?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
One can only really ever go over 128 MB under two conditions...
  1. Using a lot of localized assets. Eg a small number of sounds localized into many languages or "full unique voice acting dialog" experience of a single localization.
  2. Excessive use of badly optimized assets. Eg incorrectly set texture compression or too detailed models.

Level 16
Think about compressing the files in your map. Compression is a method to reduce the file size and quality of a file. Although the limit is 128MB in multiplayer, its not a good idea to needlessly let your map get this big. Different files can be compressed differently.

BLP - Download BLP lab from the Hive. You can compress your BLP files to about 75% without losing any noticable quality. Many files could be compressed to as low as 40%.
MP3 - Download a program called LameXP. You can compress MP3 files to a variable bit rate of about 96 KB/sec without too much quality lost.
WAV - Never use this file type. A neat little trick is to compress your sound files as an MP3. You can rename these files to .wav and it will work.

You can't do much to compress .MDL files (model files).

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
BLP - Download BLP lab from the Hive. You can compress your BLP files to about 75% without losing any noticable quality. Many files could be compressed to as low as 40%.
Noticeable artefacts start to appear around 75%, especially if zoomed in. At 40% JPEG artefacts will be very pronounced on most content. Blizzard compressed in the range of 80-90% for that reason. I recommended using the 80-90% range as it reduces most of the file size while still retaining minimal loss.

BLP Labs is not that good as it's BLP1 implementation is wrong. As far as I am aware my Java Image IO plugin (intended for programmers only) is the only publically available correct JPEG content BLP producer and even it might not be perfect.

MP3 - Download a program called LameXP. You can compress MP3 files to a variable bit rate of about 96 KB/sec without too much quality lost.
WAV - Never use this file type. A neat little trick is to compress your sound files as an MP3. You can rename these files to .wav and it will work.
MP3 is lossy. Depending on your audio sample and your audio playback equipment you might not be able to hear the loss, but others might. Wav also compresses better than you may think due to the slightly lossy PCM compression MPQs use, which is how WC3 is so small with all the WAV sounds in it.

I would recommend Wav for sound effects, voice bites and anything with a short duration. I would recommend MP3 for music, voice over dialogs and anything with a very long duration. In either case you will want either 44.1 or 48 kHz sampling rate. Note with MP3 you will probably get a similar file size from both 44.1 and 48 kHz despite 48 in theory having more data because MP3 compresses frequency data and both sample rates should contain the same range of frequencies (no ultrasound).

Level 17
One can only really ever go over 128 MB under two conditions...
  1. Using a lot of localized assets. Eg a small number of sounds localized into many languages or "full unique voice acting dialog" experience of a single localization.
  2. Excessive use of badly optimized assets. Eg incorrectly set texture compression or too detailed models.
hello

If I have a map that weight 202 Mb? With only songs and a few imported models. Do you think it's gonna work on B net.
The songs are not localized, I think

Have a nice day

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If I have a map that weight 202 Mb? With only songs and a few imported models. Do you think it's gonna work on B net.
Yes it should work, assuming the upload speed of the first players is fast enough to seed it onto BattleNet. Additionally with the use of DDS textures, multiple texture layers and high fidelity assets it is very easy to hit such sizes if aiming at Reforged graphic quality.

Music wise you need to make sure you have the right to share the music inside a Warcraft III custom map. Most paid music does not come with this right unless explicitly purchased from the publisher, which might not be viable and such agreements may last a limited time. This also extends to music from other non-Blizzard games since that music was only licenced for use inside that game and the owners may not want it used elsewhere.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I Have to own the rights? For each songs even if I put into credits the real owner?
You may need a licence to use music in such a way. After all music, video and game piracy is illegal in most countries.

As for the cost of such a licence, it really depends on what the music is. Some music is free and can be used for free in custom content. Other music might be available from a subscription service, such as often used by streamers. Then there is music that needs large commercial licences such as popular music from the music industry (they might not deal with small players). Lastly there is music that the owner is unlikely to allow the use of outside of their property, such as some game themes.

Now in theory you could ignore all this and use the music anyway. People have done this in the past, even in StarCraft II, and nothing has happened. At worst your map Could be removed from the service and you might get a message telling you to stop using the music, which you can comply with and upload the map again. It is not an approach I can personally recommend as it is technically amoral with respect to the laws of most countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.