1. Are you planning to upload your awesome model to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

CryptGuard

Submitted by Uncle Fester
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
I decided to make another exotic model, a Crypt/Nerubian one. I rly like the Nerubians and Crypt stuff, and i figured out that there aren't all to many airborne units of these 2 races, so i thought "Why not make one more?". The result is this: the Crypt Guard!

Crypt Guards are fast-moving, light-weight air units. They're medium- to light-armored, but therefor they deal a lot of damage to enemy airbornes. Although they're able to fly at different heights, they usually stay high above the ground. Their powerfull barb can easily inflict a life-threatening sting to every organic flying enemy. It injects a pretty potent poison which causes a lot of damage over a quite long period of time and it also slows the victim. Generally, they are flying meele combat units. Their major disadvantage is that they can't attack ground units, but they can spit a sticky substance onto them that immobilizes the target. This fact makes them more suitable for guarding their lairs and scouting rather than assaulting, except if the assault's aim is to wipe out an entire enemy air fleet.
What remains a mystery about them is how exactly they came to life. Some claim they're hybrids between Cryptfiends and Arachnathids. This theory is certainly true up to a certain degree, but what this theory doesn't explain is where the wings and aerial accomodation came from. Neither Crypt Fiends nor Arachnathids can fly or have wings. And another counter argument is the fact that the eggs containing them come from ordinary Crypt Queens.

Feel free to use this model in any imaginable way (incl. editing if desired). I hope you like it. Have fun with it! :wink:

EDIT 1: fixed the issues with the tail, made the wings stiffer and faster moving (more insect-alike) and also removed useless bones and adjusted the hands' attachment points to the right helper objects. Important: the model has intentionally no attachment points for feet, as it has no legs.
Performs much better and more hymenopterian-like. :wink:

EDIT 2: my thanks to Heinvers for pointing out a problem with the model's tail in Stand -2 animation. I fixed that too now. :wink:

EDIT 3: i fixed a few problems that occured during the Stand -2 animation in the head and neck. I also tried out MiniMage's suggestion about using the Cryptlord's wing's animations (the alternate ones) and had terrible results. The main reason why this didn't work well is that the Cryptlord's wings are mainly on the X-Axis, while my model's wings are predominantly at the Y-Axis. IMO, the result looked like a wing-movement-mix from a crippled dragon and a chicken :vw_sad:, so i left it with the previous anims. I also made both models (actual one and portrait) use the same CryptFiend Texture (expansion one). :wink:

Keywords:
Crypt, Nerubian, insect, arachnathid, arachnide, hymenoptera, stinger, air unit, airborne, undead,
Contents

CryptGuard (Model)

CryptGuard (Model)

Reviews
16:30, 17th Apr 2014 MiniMage: I still feel that the wings need a little more work. Look into the Crypt Lord animations. There should be one animation there that has an excellent animation. I would suggest you try and replicate that. I think it would...
  1. 16:30, 17th Apr 2014
    MiniMage: I still feel that the wings need a little more work. Look into the Crypt Lord animations. There should be one animation there that has an excellent animation. I would suggest you try and replicate that. I think it would look good. The portrait looks nice and the filesize is decent, so this is basically all you need to work on.

16:19, 6th Aug 2014
    MiniMage: Guess I should finally approve this. I would've preferred a more bug-like way of flying but I guess this is still worthy of approval as-is.

2. Solu9

Solu9

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Excellent :)

3. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    thx a lot :ogre_hurrhurr: I'm glad you like it. :ogre_haosis:

4. Ujimasa Hojo

Ujimasa Hojo

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting body anatomy.

5. Strikest

Strikest

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm glad you moved on from doing haradrim models :D

6. Faction

Faction

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sweet concept, great execution

7. CreatorD3292

CreatorD3292

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Add Dragonfly tag.
    :3 he just like a big tail dragonfly

8. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

Why that? Where the Haradrim so bad? :p JK, JK. I wanted to make something different this time.....the Haradrim have kinda become my signature on the Hive..... :wink: Though i am planning to make a few more Haradrim again, especially cavalry. :wink:

thx a lot :ogre_haosis:

A what? He? :eekani:

9. Misha

Misha

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    mhm.. there is a lot of deformations on that tail, especially on the attack anim.. and.. i'm not sure that dragon or similar type of wing flapping suits a dragonfly-like unit.. could you maybe try to fix/upgrade those?

10. Go'el

Go'el

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I like it, nice combinations have you made :) the Crypt Fiend's face really fixed the model :)

11. Splub

Splub

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is pretty cool. It reminds me of the Zerg unit from Heart of the Swarm.

12. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    OK. Will take a look @ the tail the next days. I don't rly see what the problem with the wings is......this model has similarly animated wings and got approved..... :vw_wtf:

ty :ogre_hurrhurr:

thx :ogre_haosis: though it was not my intention to make a Zerg.....

13. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    What a dangerous insect that thing is, better keep my jets away from it.
    A may also found a theory of how its born.

It could be made by experements from
    the Forsaken, by taking parts of an arachnids and crypt fiends. Since nerubians are also
    like bugs, they can fly. The wings could be made by nerubians webs, nerubian webs are very strong and not easily cut. A perfect part to make it as its wings. And also a last ingredient, LIGHTNING. And it live. The first crypt guard is a female. so it lays its egg and the other crypt guards born.

Thats my theory.

14. MiniMage

MiniMage

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    This is the best model from you yet. The only thing I'd say would be to make the wings faster. That would make it feel more bug-like rather than a bird. XD

15. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Nice theory, although i don't think it makes much sense to use webs as wings. A web has many holes and uncovered space, which makes it impractical for a wing. This way the creature would lavish most of its energy and pwoer into moving an ineffective body part. :vw_sad: Nevertheless, the rest of the theory is quite good and makes logical sense. :wink:

Rly?? :vw_wtf: I thought my Troll Boar and Shark Riders were better..... Yeah, I'll make some changes in the wings, as Misha said, i think they're better in being a bit stiffer rather than elastic. :wink:

16. Lord_Marrowgrath

Lord_Marrowgrath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Winged Cryptfiend omg. Anub'arak must see this. 5/5 +rep

17. DeuceGorgon

DeuceGorgon

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Like viper from starcraft 2 :3

18. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Yes, he rly must! :wink: Thx a lot :ogre_haosis:

Lol, obviously this model has more uses than i thought.......

19. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This isn't too bad, man. I still kinda like Andrew's "Crypt Flyer" better, but this is seriously interesting (like the Dragonfly-themed design).

I also agree with the "good to see something other than Haradrim models" comment... But probably more because I have no use for those, whereas Nerubians (or J.Trolls, or Dwarves, or Naga or Pandaren... :p) I do. :p Keep it up.