• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cruelty v1.2

-Spell is gui, mui, epic
-This one's made by myself and therefore, please give credits if you like it and want to use it.
-This spell is a remake of my entry for the s&smc#18 as I guess it fits pretty well being a standalone spell plus I optimized a few things to make it go off more smooth

Cruelty
BTNDoom.gif
Spawns dark energy which shoots out harming energyballs, dealing damage to every nearby enemy unit
Units near the center also receive armor reduction
Damage: 10/12/15 per hit (-1.5/-3/-4.5 armor)
Range: 700
Type: Active
Cooldown: 13s

v1.1:
~Added some variables
~Added yet another trigger (now it's five) to deal with the periodic triggers

v1.2:
~Added a group variable to make that spell finally mui for every player since I now know that cs: set bj_want blah sucks ^.^
~Changed the base ability (as suggested)

Keywords:
cruelty, dark, spell, jutsu, art, pattern, armor, effect, sfx, squiggy, epic, lulz, naruto
Contents

Cruelty (Map)

Reviews
8.36 PM, 20th Jun 2009 Eccho: Seems to be quite alright now. I don't know if it is a 4 or a 5 though, so, lets say it will be rounded up by hvo's rating :) 01:16 PM, 20th Jun 2009 Eccho: I don't know how I should illustrate it well enough, but...

M

8.36 PM, 20th Jun 2009
Eccho: Seems to be quite alright now. I don't know if it is a 4 or a 5 though, so, lets say it will be rounded up by hvo's rating :)

01:16 PM, 20th Jun 2009
Eccho: I don't know how I should illustrate it well enough, but this is still not working, just like it wasn't in the contest D:
2uqf3g5.jpg

There is clearly some issues in your looping trigger as it only works mui for player red but not for any other player. Beware, set bj_wantDestroyGroup tend to not work in small interval loops. I can't explain it, only you can verify it yourself by adding a blue hero and share the control, and order it to cast.

Further notes, it would have been better if you use carrion swarm instead of basing it on shockwave, because shockwave tend to lag the game up sometimes due to the terrain height changing specifically where it is moving.

17:27, 18th Jun 2009
hvo-busterkomo:
A nice effect, although I think Carrion Swarm would've looked better than shockwave.
It leaks leak free and MUI, and no one has said otherwise. Approved with a 5/5 rating.

Level 17
  • CTpre
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set CT_temppt = (Position of CT_dummy2 0126 <gen>)
      • Unit - Add Cruelty to CT_dummy2 0126 <gen>
      • Unit - Order CT_dummy2 0126 <gen> to Neutral Dark Ranger - Silence CT_temppt
      • Unit - Add a 0.20 second Generic expiration timer to CT_dummy2 0126 <gen>
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_CT_temppt)
Instead of placing a unit in your map, create the dummy you use in your spell and then do all the preload and remove it and remove the point leak...

Why do you use custom values? Can't you use a variable instead?

Level 28
  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_CT_temppt)
I'm pretty sure that the point leak is already removed.

Also for the CV, they're independant and accessible whenever I need them.
Plus they can serve as quite anything which needs a value (size, flying height, damage etc etc.)

Level 17
Ohh sorry you misunderstood me, or to be more realistic, I wasn't clear... when I said remove the leak i was just counting out the preload steps and not saying you didn't remove the leaks :p

And yes now I understand the whole CV issue. Since they're independent dummies then there wouldn't be any other spell using that specific CV, so there's no prob using it... right?

Level 28
And yes now I understand the whole CV issue. Since they're independent dummies then there wouldn't be any other spell using that specific CV, so there's no prob using it... right?
Exactly, since the spell applies the cv only to the dummies which are used by the spell (if any) and thus, no other unit's CV gets changed/removed/nulled/whatever.
if there is lag there is leaks so there must be a hidden one somewhere o_O
noez, all leaks are dealt with.
The lag occurs when too many sfx are 'active', means if you expierience the lag, increase the missile speed to get rid of the high amount ;)

Reactions: Rmx
Level 17
aaron79 said:
if there is lag there is leaks so there must be a hidden one somewhere o_O
Leaks lead to lagging later in the game for the memory would be jammed with memory and there's barely any space for the new information...
This wouldn't happen in a advance computer prepared for gaming, but would definetly happen on some of those old computers during long games ;)

So leaking does not lead to lag if you're testing the spell for like 5 minutes :p

EDIT:
baassee said:
preload effects ...

in the end you destroy your trigger also use this line in the prelaod trigger

• Custom script: call PreloadStart()
Learned by Kingz ;)
There already is a preload option in GUI to preload special effects too 8)
  • Game - Preload BLABLA

Level 25
I can only suggest making this more user friendly.
When i say that i mean that you should add variables for those effects you are using so the users could with ease change the look of the spell :p
No complains about this spell, the spell looks fine.
EDIT:
The thing that is causing the fps drop is the number of dummies spawned :p

Level 28
Meh there's still something wrong with it, the dummies are supposed to stay on the map for .2 seconds, which is correct - therefore the maximum amount of dummies is five which shouldn't affect the gameplay.
Well it doesn't have a dropdown of fps for me (only from 64 to 59), in any case I'm going to rework it a bit

Last edited:
Level 25
Try adding this trigger:
  • Dummy Removal
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • Multiple ConditionsOr - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to (==) CT_dummy
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to (==) CT_dummy2
    • Actions
      • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game
I don't know if you know but when a unit dies it stays in the game for ~2-3 seconds.
Removing them instantly is always better than killing a dummy unit.
This should improve any fps drop.

Level 23
Have you ever thought of that using the preload function is pointless unless you know exactly what it does. (told by me from Hanky). He started using it, but guess what, he used it wrong and it did nothing:p

Level 25
I always use preload like this:
JASS:
call Preload(*effect string*)
call PreloadStart()
For abilities i create a dummy, add the ability and remove the unit.
Don't know if this is wrong but it never lags my spell for the first time :p
I also heard that some people create a special effect and destroy it and that makes a preload?
I say use the built in preload functions...

Level 23
As far as I recall it, strings doesnt need to be preloaded:p
Lag spikes are given by handles, thus, abilities and units, and even special effects I guess, once they're created/used for the first time.

Level 25
Uhm, preloading effects uses their string(model)...
So the effect's model is preloaded :p
And i really don't know if the Preload Start is necesary, but it can't harm to be sure that the file will get preloaded :p
Maybe it's needed if the preload has ended but you want a new file to be preloaded?
Confusing, strange how there is no tutorial about preloading...