• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Awaken - Kingdom of Cruelty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
The Kingdom of Cruelty

TheKingdomofCruelty.jpg

Brought to you by Steve Norfolk and Anthony Mallaboro

Progress: "Maybe 12%?" - Ant

Last Updated: 22/7/10
Current Version: 0.2.0a (thats right, we dropped 2.1 versions! ...somehow)
News: "New hero selection method... having problems, but ahwell... everythings being changed, always and forever. -moap-"

The new Borealis Cathedral downstairs
1-1.jpg

The new Borealis Cathedral upstairs
2-1.jpg

To cut down on file size, all character skins have been removed. Some Icons remain and credits will be given at the dawn of the beta.

Map Content

• The Kingdom of Cruelty is a story told in the form of a warcraft 3 map. The story is based around 8 heroes that team up on a journey to Aryatlee. The catch is, the player can change the destinty of their chosen hero in anyway by altering the unit's starting alignment. The alignment's effect what quests the unit recieves, which effect the abilities and items the unit will unlock over the course of the game. To make the game not so repetitive, the Hero can use town portals to get around the kingdom (provided they've completed quests required to go to that part of the kingdom). All quests have on average 3 available endings, for good, neutral and evil alignment alteration.

Features of the game
  • Over 250 quests, some with over 13 optional endings.
    Different classes get different quests quests, having a high/low karma will change available quests your alignment ability changes available quests.
  • 8 heroes all with custom skills and abilities that depend and vary according to your alignment.
  • 3 Primary skills (per class), 1 Unlockable skill (per class), 10 Alignment Abilities (per class).
  • A level cap of 55. (This may change)
  • 9 different ethical alignments:
    Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good
    Lawful Neutral, Neutral, Chaotic Neutral
    Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil.
  • Save/Load compatible.

Hero Classes

Note: Only showing the current fully working heroes.

[*]Berserker

[*]Black Mage

[*]Blue Mage

[*]Mechanic

[*]Gambler

[*]Paladin

[*]Time Mage

[*]Clerge

About us: Anthony and Steve are lazy college students that do nothing all day but play video games, lurk /b/ & /v/; program, sleep, eat and work.

Last edited:
Level 3
I like the idea of class-reliated quest to gain ultimate skill and Gambler class sounds quite interesting. Although how are you going to balance 35 classes? Many popular ORPGs (such as TKoK ir Gaia's Re-something) have a small amount of classes and yet certain classes are terribly underpowered when compared to others. Maybe you should consider cutting the number of classes, for example removing 'the usual' classes from the list.
Other than that I would suggest to give item names more variety (I do understand that given item names are just few of many many many but still).
Good luck with your project :)

Level 7
I like the idea of class-reliated quest to gain ultimate skill and Gambler class sounds quite interesting. Although how are you going to balance 35 classes? Many popular ORPGs (such as TKoK ir Gaia's Re-something) have a small amount of classes and yet certain classes are terribly underpowered when compared to others. Maybe you should consider cutting the number of classes, for example removing 'the usual' classes from the list.
Other than that I would suggest to give item names more variety (I do understand that given item names are just few of many many many but still).
Good luck with your project :)

Thanks. I'll likely change 4 or 5 classes. The heroes have the default stats of campaign heroes which go up as they level. I'm still fairly new to map making so if at some point they stop increasing (which I don't think they do), then I'll change the amount of stats gained per level. Alternatively I could easily give the user 3 lumber to spend on str/def/int per level up and make a skill that increases unit stats at the cost of lumber.

Also there's plenty more weapons in this game including sets and combination-items. Those currently being displayed are what I've made in game so far.

Last edited:
Level 7
Hm, I think I hit the max text limit in my original post. That is to say there is one...

I could make this thread look so much more tidy if someone would give me the forum command to hide text. Y'know, like a spoiler button, namely the ones used in to display coding, like when you go to download a skin.

Last edited:
Level 7
HiveMother has agreed to help the production of the map.
After having discussed it with my companions we've decided to cut down on the total number of heroes and instead double the number of quests, but don't think these quests will become repetetive because they wont. Besides the first 20 quests, all quests become a unique experience.

Level 11
You may wanna put one of these on your long quotes.

Other than that it sounds nice still. How is the terrain progress, any possibility of a screeny yet?

EDIT: There is a button to the left in the Advanced Post page that looks like a magnifier.

Take care :)
Yours,
Chizume

Level 7
You may wanna put one of these on your long quotes.

Other than that it sounds nice still. How is the terrain progress, any possibility of a screeny yet?

EDIT: There is a button to the left in the Advanced Post page that looks like a magnifier.

Take care :)
Yours,
Chizume

Ah, lovely. Thanks a million. Maps coming along nicely. Still working on it non-stop. Just trying to get a couple introduction triggers working. Screenshots coming soon. :3

Level 7
After having discussed it with the team, we've decided skills will be kept in a spell book. This gives the player more ability space. We're currently considering having an ability to talk to NPCs. We're also considering having inventory screens, however if we do decide to have this, we'll be working on it after the final open-beta version. The following version will then once again become closed.

Level 7
Theres a large forrest off in that direction... but yeah, I should probably cut down on the trees abit. me trying to make sure players aren't trying to leave boundaries.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

~Bump

The map looks promising, what are you working on (on the map) atm?

Level 7
Well, I'm trying to decide on a method to pick heros.

I've tried the "wisp, walk on platform" which was extremely cheap and wasn't very impressive, and I consider this map more of a learning experience than anything.
The second method was buttons, which worked fine, but I got tired of it, and friends were suggesting hero taverns.
So then I tried hero taverns, which really wasn't that great... so I tried working on keyboard event system, where you browse your camera through several heros, getting told the descriptions and such...

This system works great, but It's causing critical errors for more than 1 player at the moment.

The game's still getting worked on daily. It currently features only 3 primary quests and 5 sidequests, but where there's so many different ways you can go about completing quests, it's taking a lot of time, and in some cases stress.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Although this video was only filmed recently, massive changes have already been made... Also I suck at putting videos together.

Recently added a command which let's you turn off storymode... Currently trying to fix server splits.

downstairs
1-1.jpg

upstairs
2-1.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Looking good, keep working on it.

Hero selection(solution?):

If your doing it with coding just use triggers >.> It's not that hard.
Just make some dialogue that says something like "To view the choosable hero's just type (-ENTERHERONAME)", also include a command which will tell you all of the hero names.
When a player for example player 2 types (-LETSSEETHISHERO) change the camera to that hero and pop up the info on that hero, or just have the info appear as floating text.

Level 11
Neat video - I really do like the background music. The little battlefield in the beginning (when you've chosen your hero) looks cool, getting you right into action.

The screenshots are nice, only one thing that bothered me a little. The second screenshot is a little repetitive with the chests. If they are for a quest I understand, but otherwise it does look a little unrealistic.

Good luck once again, it was nice seeing some progress :)

Yours,
Chizume

Level 7
Thanks for your feedback. The area in the screenshots no longer clustered with chests, cutscenes are now optional and the number of text messages have been massively decreased. The music was from the World of Warcraft soundtrack. I'm not a WOW fan, but I do like that song alot. It's played in-game while your character is inside an inn or, after a difficult team or class quest chain is completed. Music is different for all players depending on where they are in the game. There's only 3 short pieces of music in the game, all of which has reduced file-size.

Status
Not open for further replies.