• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Creating Power Up Items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey,

How to create Power Up items that would increase Health Regeneration or Attack Speed? I tried using OE, but I failed. Do you have any tips on creating Power Up items?

Since OE attempt failed, I tried using some triggers, but I got lost a bit. How can I create Power Up items using triggers?

Level 6
Create a dummy tome, that doesn't improve any stat. When a hero picks up an item:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
  • Conditions
    • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Tome of Experience
  • Actions
    • Game - Display to (All players) the text: tome of exp
check if picked item is your item and alter hero's stats.

Level 3
Thanks, I could not find a proper condition on my own.

Another question, how do I add +1% attack speed using triggers? Should I use attack interval trigger and then some how change it ? Or is there a better trigger?

Level 12
Thanks, I could not find a proper condition on my own.

Another question, how do I add +1% attack speed using triggers? Should I use attack interval trigger and then some how change it ? Or is there a better trigger?

In the object editor make an ability based on item attack speed bonus. Add 100 levels, then click autofill levels. Start from level 1.
Make it that level 1 = 1% attack speed, level 2 = 2% attack speed, and so on.
Then add the ability with triggers and set the ability level to whatever based on your conditions.

The ability is automatically hidden, since it is an item ability.

Level 6
Should I use attack interval trigger and then some how change it ? Or is there a better trigger?
One can set (attack interval) = (attack interval)/1.01 — this would increase attack speed by 1%. That's option 1.
Option 2 is what DoomBlade proposed. This option is better in terms of stacking bonuses from different sources.
Option 3 is having +1% +2% +4% +8% +16% +32% +64% and so on abilities.
Then, based on which abilities your unit has, you'll be able to tell current attack speed bonus.
Then you increase it by 1 (or whatever), convert new attack speed bonus into binary number and add/remove abilities according to it.
For example: set attack speed bonus to 12 = 1100 (binary) => +1% off, +2% off, +4% on, +8% on, +16% and so on -- turn off.

Level 3
One can set (attack interval) = (attack interval)/1.01 — this would increase attack speed by 1%. That's option 1.
So basically I can use this option since every book increases attack speed by 1% (which is a constant per book). Is it still going to work if let's say a hero has 15%Gloves of Haste?
That brings me to another question. Can I create a trigger that would track an amount of times this Book of AS was purchased? So then I could create a table for players, where they could see these additional attack speed or critical chance bonuses they have.

Level 3

I created this trigger, tested it several times in a game and it does not seem to be working. Attached a screenshot, could you please check. Is the issue with Triggering unit or something else?

Attachments

• Attack Speed Increase.PNG
    Attack Speed Increase.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 43
Level 12
I created this trigger, tested it several times in a game and it does not seem to be working. Attached a screenshot, could you please check. Is the issue with Triggering unit or something else?

Weapon index 0 is actually weapon index 1
And weapon index 1 is actually weapon index 2
If I remember correctly.

Level 3
Weapon index 0 is actually weapon index 1
And weapon index 1 is actually weapon index 2
If I remember correctly.
Okay, so what is the issue with trigger I uploaded above? I tried both Attacks, so it's not working.

And I do have a question regarding your idea of creating a spell and auto filling. Let's say I do it with Health Regeneration Item (Ring of regeneration), how do I create proper conditions, since the level of the ability will depend on amount of times Power Up book is purchased, do I have to create variable, so I could count the amount of times a certain hero purchased that Book?

Level 12
Okay, so what is the issue with trigger I uploaded above? I tried both Attacks, so it's not working.

I remember working around with the unit real fields when they added them.
You need to change other things too for it to work.
Like backswing point and other things that effect the attack interval.

And I do have a question regarding your idea of creating a spell and auto filling. Let's say I do it with Health Regeneration Item (Ring of regeneration), how do I create proper conditions, since the level of the ability will depend on amount of times Power Up book is purchased, do I have to create variable, so I could count the amount of times a certain hero purchased that Book?

Yes you would need to store it into a variable, but variables are your friends and a necessary thing to have when creating triggers.

Level 3
Yes you would need to store it into a variable, but variables are your friends and a necessary thing to have when creating triggers.

Can you guide me through the steps?

1) I create an Item (in this case a book). Place it to the store or whatsoever
2) Then I create Item ability based, let's say on gloves of haste, add 100 levels and fill it to the top up to 100% attack speed
3) Then I start with trigger, where a unit acquires an item, that is equal to... then I do some actions where I give created Item ability to a hero and set it to level 1. And that I have to store in variables, right? Every time Item is purchased it goes to variables. I have to return the variable and set a level of ability equal to that. Is that more or less correct? Or do I store it in variables and then give an ability to a hero equaled to that variable?

And last but not least, what happens if several players buy the same book? What conditions is it better to use?

Level 3
I remember working around with the unit real fields when they added them.
You need to change other things too for it to work.
Like backswing point and other things that effect the attack interval.
And this just sounds complicated. Is there any tutorial that explain these things?

Level 12
Can you guide me through the steps?

1) I create an Item (in this case a book). Place it to the store or whatsoever
2) Then I create Item ability based, let's say on gloves of haste, add 100 levels and fill it to the top up to 100% attack speed
3) Then I start with trigger, where a unit acquires an item, that is equal to... then I do some actions where I give created Item ability to a hero and set it to level 1. And that I have to store in variables, right? Every time Item is purchased it goes to variables. I have to return the variable and set a level of ability equal to that. Is that more or less correct? Or do I store it in variables and then give an ability to a hero equaled to that variable?

And last but not least, what happens if several players buy the same book? What conditions is it better to use?

All done. If your players only use one hero, this trigger should do it.

• Attack Speed Book
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Attack Speed Book
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet Buying_Unit = (Triggering unit)
      • Set VariableSet Buying_Player = (Owner of Buying_Unit)
      • Set VariableSet PlayerNumber = (Player number of Buying_Player)
      • Set VariableSet AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] = (AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] + 1)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) to Buying_Unit
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Greater than 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit to AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber]
        • Else - Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber]))
I attached a testmap with 2 players and it works as should. Also you can see all the data in the object editor to see how it was made. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• AttackSpeed.w3m
    18.4 KB · Views: 30
Level 3
All done. If your players only use one hero, this trigger should do it.
I attached a testmap with 2 players and it works as should. Also you can see all the data in the object editor to see how it was made. Hope this helps!
Oh, You are so awesome. Thanks a lot.

Level 3
Sorry, for bothering you again, I checked Your test map. Bought 100 books and compared two heroes you placed, did not see any difference...

Level 12
  • Attack Speed Book
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Attack Speed Book
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] = (AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] + 1)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) to Buying_Unit
        • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Greater than or equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit to AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber]
          • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber]))
        • Else - Actions
      • -------- Added a fail safe so the stacks can't go too high --------
        • If - Conditions
          • AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] Greater than or equal to 100
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] = 100
        • Else - Actions
Found a slight error in the script, now it works. Added a dummy footman that you can attack, to see that the attack speed increases.

Attachments

• AttackSpeed2.0.w3m
    18.7 KB · Views: 36
Level 3
Found a slight error in the script, now it works. Added a dummy footman that you can attack, to see that the attack speed increases.

So basically a mistake was with that comparison? Greater than one? And quick question I can do the same with other abilities, like Critical Strike or Bush?

Level 3
  • Health Regeneration Increase
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Health Regeneration Increase
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet Buying_UnitHRI = (Triggering unit)
      • Set VariableSet Buying_PlayerHRI = (Owner of Buying_UnitHRI)
      • Set VariableSet PlayerNumberHRI = (Player number of Buying_PlayerHRI)
      • Set VariableSet HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI] = (HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI] + 1)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI) Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) to Buying_UnitHRI
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI) Greater than or equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI to HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI]
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI]))
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI] Greater than or equal to 25
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set VariableSet HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI] = 25
                • Else - Actions
This trigger is not working... I am trying to find out why? Does it have to do something with variables? Basically, I have your Attack Speed trigger and I also created this. Can it not be working because of global variables? Or there is some mistake I do not see

Level 12
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI] = (HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI] + 1)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI) Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI) Greater than or equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI to HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI]
              • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(HealthRegeneration_Stacks[PlayerNumberHRI]))
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
This trigger is not working... I am trying to find out why? Does it have to do something with variables? Basically, I have your Attack Speed trigger and I also created this. Can it not be working because of global variables? Or there is some mistake I do not see

If you use different globals there should be no issues.
Did you check how much you increase the health regeneration? Maybe you set it too low and, because of that it feels like too low?
Are the stack numbers displaying on this trigger?
If the stack numbers are not displaying the bug is in the condition events.

empty.gif
joinbottomminus.gif
if.gif
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
  • empty.gif
    empty.gif
    joinminus.gif
    cond.gif
    If - Conditions
    • empty.gif
      empty.gif
      line.gif
      joinbottom.gif
      if.gif
      (Level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI) Equal to 0
  • empty.gif
    empty.gif
    joinminus.gif
    actions.gif
    Then - Actions
    • empty.gif
      empty.gif
      line.gif
      joinbottom.gif
      unit.gif
      Unit - Add Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) to Buying_UnitHRI
  • empty.gif
    empty.gif
    joinbottomminus.gif
    actions.gif
    Else - Actions
    • empty.gif
      empty.gif
      empty.gif
      joinbottomminus.gif
      if.gif
      • empty.gif
        empty.gif
        empty.gif
        empty.gif
        joinminus.gif
        cond.gif
        If - Conditions
        • empty.gif
          empty.gif
          empty.gif
          empty.gif
          line.gif
          joinbottom.gif
          if.gif
          (Level of Life Regeneration Increase (+1/+2/+3...etc) for Buying_UnitHRI) Greater than or equal to 1
      • empty.gif
        empty.gif
        empty.gif
        empty.gif
        joinminus.gif
        actions.gif
        Then - Actions

In my trigger I don't have the If all conditions are true in the else block.

In my example trigger I have this:
  • empty.gif
    joinminus.gif
    if.gif
    • empty.gif
      line.gif
      joinminus.gif
      cond.gif
      If - Conditions
      • empty.gif
        line.gif
        line.gif
        joinbottom.gif
        if.gif
        (Level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Equal to 0
    • empty.gif
      line.gif
      joinminus.gif
      actions.gif
      Then - Actions
      • empty.gif
        line.gif
        line.gif
        joinbottom.gif
        unit.gif
        Unit - Add Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) to Buying_Unit
    • empty.gif
      line.gif
      joinbottom.gif
      actions.gif
      Else - Actions
  • empty.gif
    joinminus.gif
    if.gif
    • empty.gif
      line.gif
      joinminus.gif
      cond.gif
      If - Conditions
      • empty.gif
        line.gif
        line.gif
        joinbottom.gif
        if.gif
        (Level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Greater than or equal to 1
    • empty.gif
      line.gif
      joinminus.gif
      actions.gif
      Then - Actions
      • empty.gif
        line.gif
        line.gif
        join.gif
        unit.gif
        Unit - Set level of Attack Speed Bonus (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit to AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber]
      • empty.gif
        line.gif
        line.gif
        joinbottom.gif
        game.gif
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber]))

Level 3
If you use different globals there should be no issues.
Did you check how much you increase the health regeneration? Maybe you set it too low and, because of that it feels like too low?
Are the stack numbers displaying on this trigger?
I mean I did use different globals. Besides in Triggers look identical in when I am looking at them in Trigger Editor... Display message shows as required. And it shows different number, comparing to attack speed. But something is wrong, because Attacks Speed works and Health Regen does not. And the numbers set are pretty high. I mean up to 25 HP / per second. So that should be pretty noticeable.

Level 3
  • Attack Speed Increase
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Attack Speed Increase
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Attack Speed Increase (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Equal to 0
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Add Attack Speed Increase (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) to Buying_Unit
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Attack Speed Increase (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit) Greater than or equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set level of Attack Speed Increase (+1%/+2%/+3%...etc) for Buying_Unit to AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber]
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] Greater than or equal to 100
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set VariableSet AttackSpeed_Stacks[PlayerNumber] = 100
                • Else - Actions
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • If - Conditions
        • Then - Actions
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                • Then - Actions
                • Else - Actions
  • [trigger]

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I believe that only some item abilities work with levels and Life Regeneration is one that unfortunately does not.

A possible solution:
  • Actions
    • Set Variable Regen = (1.00 x Integer(Stacks))
    • Unit - Set Unit: YourUnit's Real Field: Hit Points Regeneration Rate ('uhpr') to Value: (0.25 + Regen)
Regen is a Real variable. Set 1.00 to whatever value you want to add per Stack. Set 0.25 to the base hp regen of your unit. Set YourUnit to be the Hero acquiring the tome.

Last edited:
Level 3
I believe that only some item abilities work with levels and Life Regeneration is one that unfortunately doesn't work.

A possible solution:
  • Actions
    • Unit - Set Unit: YourUnit's Real Field: Hit Points Regeneration Rate ('uhpr') to Value: (0.25 + Regen)
Regen is a Real variable. Set 1.00 to whatever value you want to add per Stack. Set 0.25 to the base hp regen of your unit. Set YourUnit to be the Hero acquiring the tome.

And I can do the same with Mana Regen, right? Because these are the things that do not work, however trigger looks alright.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I don't know which Item abilities are broken besides Life Regen (Mana Regen might not suffer the same issue), but you should be able to find Mana Regeneration Rate using this method as well.

If you create the trigger you'll see that there are many options to choose from besides just Hit Point Regeneration Rate. There's also Integer Fields/Boolean Fields you can adjust if the value isn't a Real.

Note that some of the more unique fields don't work yet, however simple things like this should work.

Last edited:
Level 3
I believe that only some item abilities work with levels and Life Regeneration is one that unfortunately doesn't work.

A possible solution:
  • Actions

So I need to create a real variable Regen that would be equal to integer array Stacks? I just can't find how you converted it to real, I mean 1.00 x Integer(stacks))

Status
Not open for further replies.