• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Creating a Bossfight

Level 14

How to Create a Proper Bossfight

Reason: The reason I am making this tutorial/walkthrough is due to the lack of interesting bossfights in WC3 maps. The thread I made "pieces to a good and interesting bossfight" went very well, so I decided to create a tutorial. I believe that bossfights play a key role in RPG's as well as other maps, and for that, this is created.

Introduction: In this Tutorial/walkthrough, I will explain what variables make a bossfight, as well a give examples of them, through video and screenshots. To do this I will use an Asomath boss fight rating system that starts at basic then 1, 2, 3, 4. I will show what each level means, and will tell what is required to achive that level of bossfight.

Affinities

Before I get into the components of a Boss Fight itself. Let me explain a section about affinities.

A boss is always has an affinity for some force, usually in nature, but somtimes man-made. The classical items a boss fight is based off of is the four elements.

ElementDescription

Fire
Fire tends to be the power. Fire is unstable, and focuses on consuming all. It is destructive, and spreads, hitting a large area. It also can be considered the act of rebirth, and a resetting of the life cycle.
WaterWater tends to be considered as an ever-changing force. It changes its form, and is able to split. It can also be considered secretive. It hides what lurks in the depths…
AirAir is the energetic force. It can be personified as having multiple attitudes, a good and an evil (Calm skies, and the massive storms). People tend to focus on its stormy personality. Air is usually evasive and quick-moving.
EarthWhen you use Earth, it classifies two forces. One is the nature, the caring and healing powers. The other is the rock, hard and determined. Slow moving, but holds great power.

Others may seek to differ from the usual elements. There are alot of other forces in universe. The mirrored paths of Light and Dark have been a popular one. Here are some other forces that you may see within bosses.

ForceDescription

Universal
The universal or ultimate force tends to be full of itself. Universal is the typical final boss kind of guy. Universal powers talks down to you, and speak intelligently. They tend to use all forces you may have previously fought.
Mechanical/RoboticThese bosses use the modern, or future day weaponry. Lasers, guns, bombs, flamethrowers, etc are included in their arsenal.
Sinful These bosses may use human errors or emotions, particularly the seven deadly sins. Greed, gluttony, pride, envy, lust, sloth, and wrath are personified in a pure form.

There are lots of forces you can connect to your boss. What forces you choose to use can help create originality.

For the remainder of this walkthrough, I will be using a boss with Fire Affinity.

Basic Boss fight(Very Poor)

- A boss
- High Stats

This is the basic form of bossfights. Sadly this is what 90% of boss fights are. A buffed up unit forcing players to engage in 5 minutes of melee fighting. However, this is where all boss fights should start, but not where their creation should end. The one variable you need to pass and go to level one is have a proper boss name representing the boss. Let me show you what I mean...
FireBoss.jpg

There are three things that should be known about this name Pyrovulcaneious (Pie-row-vul-cane-e-us). These items are Pyro, Vulcan, and the Sunderer. Pyro is the greek word for Fire. Vulcan is one name for the god of volcanoes. The Sunderer is an added title to the boss to provide a personality to the boss. These components all make a name for this boss which is not only sinister but is very suiting. So to create a title all you need to find is a word to base the name off of, and then make up a title you believe is fitting to go with Him/her, and there you go, you have a boss for a basic bossfight.

Level 1 Boss fight (Needs work)

-Adding abilities
-Adding events and stages

These components are what makers think to add if they want an intriguing bossfight. However, this is only just above a basic bossfight and still needs work. Although, I would much rather prefer this over basic, so let me explain what makes it.

Adding abilities is the basic part of a level one boss fight, and I think that everyone would agree with this. No one wants to fight a boss for ten minutes with the boss simply spamming the attack animation. Adding a silence ability to the boss can really change the difficulty of the boss. Even if the boss is spamming melee, if you cant heal, you loose.

Adding in events and stages into the boss fight is definatly. If they challenge your reaction time, it makes a player more aware of the fight itself. For example, stop casting and run away from the giant laser that is headed your way, and attempt to get back in range to fight the boss before the laser makes its round trip again. Stages shake up a players strategy. What they were doing moments before may no longer be valid when the stage of the fight changes.

Using the boss I had up above, I have created a video showing a valid phase change.

YouTube - Level One Boss Fight

The phase change is from a DPS phase to a Quick response time Flamestrike phase, and then back to a DPS phase (Yes, I cant even avoid my own Flamestrikes)

Level 2 Boss fight (Adequate)

-Minions
-Turning Abilities

Adding minions or mini-bosses to a boss fight can make the fight all the more difficult, as it adds an extra threat variable to the fight. So if you are working on fighting a mini-boss, you not only have to work on taking the mini-boss down, but you also have to attempt to evade the main bosses abilitys.

Now in addition to that, the possibility to turn the bosses abilities against him is also a good idea. You should make the abilities seem straightfoward and their purpose clear. However, it should at some point make the players think "hey, wait a second..." or "Hm, cant I just..."

In this video, an infernal is summoned during the Flamestrike phase. The clear purpose of the infernal is to chase me down and make me do irrational movements. However, watch as I turn the prediciment against him...
YouTube - Level Two Boss Fight

Have you read up to this point so far? Then CONGRATULATIONS, you now have the ability to create acceptable bossfights. However, I dont settle with just acceptable teachings...

Level 3 Boss fight (Very Good)

-Uniqueness to Boss/Location
-Voices
-Space/movement

This stuff is where you start getting creative, and decide how far you want to go with your boss fight. Here are definitions of each term I am using.

Every boss can have unique things happen due to the location or what boss it is. This could help you vary from others who follow these steps. For example (From StasMaN) "If there is a Naga boss which is underwater , you should add a safe place and a timer for the breath your hero has, for example a 2 minute timere. When that timer ends , the hero would start losing life until he goes to the safe spot and restores the lost life" That is somthing unique to a water boss, somthing you wouldnt have when you are fighting a giant knight or an Earth Elemental.

Adding fitting voices to the boss when he uses abilitys and does events can create a more realistic feeling to the fight. It can also help to warn players of an upcoming bosses ability. Voices express a bosses personality, therefor making fighting the boss all-the-more exciting. It is nice for a player to know what kind of person they are fighting for once. Their quotes can also provide some backround knowledge about the boss.

Bosses should come with an enviornment that requires the same amount of attention as the boss itself. Although this may seem the same as uniqueness to location, it is not. The boss fight should include small subtle things that may not be noticed, but should be noticed if the player wants to survive. For example, 2 small rocks may appear near a player, no big deal? However, within 4 seconds the rock explodes dealing damage and a massive stun. This stun may lead to the player being hit by another ability they have to run out of to survive. The boss should attempt to trap the player. So, this brings us to the question. Who is attacking or trapping who?

In this very short video I display what I asked for above. I added a voice to Pyrovulcaneious, and you can sense that he is cruel and commanding. He also submerges in lava, which is somthing unique to him.

Also, notice tha gameplay change to the Flamestrike phase. Now, the infernal is slow, but deals dangerous amounts of damage. So, a hit can be fatal. This change requires players to utilize their space, and trap the infernal instead of letting it trap you.
YouTube - Level 3 Boss Fight

One more step to go...

Level 4 Boss fight (Excellent)

-Human Interaction

Human interaction is the one thing that seperates level 3 from level 4. Let me describe to you why it is so important...

Human-interaction ,if not doubles, triples a bosses difficulty. Most people would be able to beat a boss by-themselves for they know what they are going to do and when they are going to do it. With multiple players, and events that require people to work together, you must learn each others strengths and weakness's. For example, my "Battle against the Defiler" requires all armies to move in on Archimonde at the same time, or else it could easily end up as a defeat. If one person does not know that you are about to move in, and has a delay of about 10 seconds before he realizes that he is supposed to move in, well, its game over.
BattleagainsttheDefilerPic.jpg

This screenshot may seem chaotic, for there are several things going on, so let me explain it.

Rain of Fire- A classic ability that all should know. However, in the heat of this boss fight it may be ignored, which makes it deadly. As you can see the headhunters, which are the main damage dealers for player one, are taking severe damage from this.

Minions- There are 3 types of minions in this fight, each deadly. The Felhounds with their mana burns can destroy your healers. The Doomguards have the Rain of Fire listed above. The infernals have their imolation. Since they are spread out when they start, the whole army is taking damage. They need to be moved.

Red Lasers (Corrupt Earth)- This ability is the main cause of death when fighting Archimonde, for it requires MUCH HUMAN INTERACTION. The red beams are shot out from Archimonde, marking the corrupted earth. After a few seconds, all units in that area will be killed instantly, and their health will be added to Archimondes. Both enemy and ally units will be sacrificed. The need for communication here is crucial. If you do not communicate, Player 1 may try to go up, while player 2 tries to go down. The unit chaos that goes on will cause an unnecessary delay, and will result in units being sacrificed, with a wipe.

Do your best to add as much events that require Human Interaction. If you do this, and the above, you will have a level 4 boss fight. With this level 4 boss fight, you will shine in your maps. You will help bring boss justice to WC3.

Level 5 Boss fight (Directors cut/Epic)

-You

Notice how above I said there were 4 levels? Well, this 5th level can be abtained by adding your own originality, your own special touch to the fight. Let your personality shine through your fight. Do this, and you have achieved a level 5.

Final Tips

Here are some final tips on ways you can make a boss fight more interesting.

Enrage/Timer- Bosses that have a window of time to beat them in, makes every move critical. So people need to know what they are doing, and execute it without much of a delay. For example, you are on a ship and a boss has begun overloading the generator, and you must defeat the boss in 8 minutes before the ship explodes. However, the boss also spawns adds that if killed deal a good 4-5% damage to the bosses health. At the point it is critical for each member to be able to stop killing the boss and kill the adds when they spawn, or they might not make the timer.

Theme- Make sure the bosses abilities follow the areas and his theme. Pyrovulcaneious would not have a chain lightning attack, just so he can have an ability that hits everybody. Notice how to abilitys, flamestrike, and infernal were all related to fire. Always make sure the abilities fit the boss. So, if he needed an ability that hits everyone, I would use a fire nova.

Randomization/Secret Powers- Bosses, although some require known abilites to plan strategy, should also include secret powers in the fight. Things like a secret reincarnation or split can make players jump out of their seat. So go ahead, and add the bosses secret LAZERZ, im sure that would be fun for you, and that secret ability may help you show your personality and achieve Level 5.

This concludes my Tutorial/Walkthrough on boss fights. If you have an questions or comments I will be looking at this very frequently, and will be there for you. Hope this is somthing that meets your standards Moderators, for I think this is somthing that has to be addressed.

~Asomath

Last edited:
Level 2
Basic: Simple but really is what all boss fights are based on.

Level 1: Again very simple but of course that is probably the point of level 1 :cgrin:

Level 2: Good, infernal adds a nice touch.:cwink:

Level 3: Sound effects are nice but the video is annoyingly short, you coulda combined the previous 2 videos to improve this one...

Level 4: Very nice screenshot but i was hoping for another video.

Level 5: Kind of expected and anyone with any backbone at all would have done this even if you told them not to.

Overall I would give this tutorial a 4/5 I liked it in general but I didn't like level 3's video and I didn't like level 4's lack of one.

Still deserves +rep:thumbs_up:

Level 14
the bosses in Impossible Bosses are much cooler but this is also a nice way.

Impossible Bosses, is one of my favorite games, and the bosses in their contain many components as listed here in this tutorial. For example

Belthazaar Lord of Flame
-Contains a cool name, as well as a nice title to go along with it.
-The terrain surrounding the boss is unique to the boss.
-The bosses abilities are custom, and are unique to the boss.
-The boss contains a voice before combat.
-There are phase changes, a DPS phase, which includes damaging the boss as well as avoiding his many abilitys, and an Infity phase, which includes the player to focus on avoiding the bosses ultimate.
-The boss fight requires human interaction, for example, the players must know whose turn it is to counterspell, as well as who is the most important to rez, also knowing at what point the Paladin needs to use HIS ressurection. Even at the very beggining, it requires human interaction to decide what classes need to be covered, and which player is going to fight them.
-The boss contains a secret ability at the end, where the boss sacrifices himself, doing a massive AOE that kills anyone in it. This requires players to be on their toes.

As you can see, my tutorial covers all the components that are in Impossible bosses, as well as other maps/games that have boss fights. You said "The bosses in impossible bosses are much cooler". Cooler then what exactly? I listed components to a boss fight, never really showed you a boss fight. Even if you are talking about the components, they contain all of those IB, so really, I dont know what you are comparing. XD Thank you for "but this is also a nice way" anyway.

~Asomath

Level 40
I tried out Impossible Bosses, and all I can say is that the bosses were pretty lame.

You should try out OD (Obsidian Depths), which is currently in beta, by Rising_Dusk. His signature at wc3campaigns has a link.

The problem with OD is that it's pretty much impossible if you don't have basically a full team of regulars playing.

The biggest problems with IB were (heck, it even went beyond the bosses, I guess):

• The spells were badly thought out (for example, Heal could target people at full life...)
  • The spells were mostly the same old spells from WarCraft melee.
  • The terrain was rather plain.
  • It was hard to tell what was going on.
  • The game did not run particularly smooth, likely due to the extensive use of GUI.

So yeah, you probably shouldn't base your tutorial off it, but meh. Whatever suits you best.

EDIT:

Also, in this tutorial level 2 looks funner than level 3.

Level 14
I tried out Impossible Bosses, and all I can say is that the bosses were pretty lame.

You should try out OD (Obsidian Depths), which is currently in beta, by Rising_Dusk. His signature at wc3campaigns has a link.

The problem with OD is that it's pretty much impossible if you don't have basically a full team of regulars playing.

The biggest problems with IB were (heck, it even went beyond the bosses, I guess):

• The spells were badly thought out (for example, Heal could target people at full life...)
  • The spells were mostly the same old spells from WarCraft melee.
  • The terrain was rather plain.
  • It was hard to tell what was going on.
  • The game did not run particularly smooth, likely due to the extensive use of GUI.

So yeah, you probably shouldn't base your tutorial off it, but meh. Whatever suits you best.

EDIT:

Also, in this tutorial level 2 looks funner than level 3.

I never said I based this off IB. I just said this tutorial covers all the components used in IB. The creation of the spells and how intricate they are, are based on the user and how much time they want to put it. Same with terrain. It all depends on how much time the user wants to put in to detail it. Also, the level 3 video is showing the aspects of that level. The video in level 3 would take place, at lets say, 50%, after the videos your saw before. Guess I should redo the level 3 video as combined to avoid confusion.
So, what about the tutorial? (Besides what was stated)

~Asomath

Level 37
When I'm makign a boss(I have 33 bosses in the campaign, 15 are done) I always have same things that I do:
  • I give boss 3-10 normal spells. These are edited from basic blizzard spells I have changed effect little or something like that.
  • I give boss 3 events which should be somehow unique. Example, boss turns to invulnerable and 20 summons comes. You gotta kill summons, then boss turns back to vulnurnerable.
  • Then I put extra things to boss. Example boss teleports every 10 sec, or his intelligence point raises every 1 second.

What do you think?

Level 14
When I'm makign a boss(I have 33 bosses in the campaign, 15 are done) I always have same things that I do:
  • I give boss 3-10 normal spells. These are edited from basic blizzard spells I have changed effect little or something like that.
  • I give boss 3 events which should be somehow unique. Example, boss turns to invulnerable and 20 summons comes. You gotta kill summons, then boss turns back to vulnurnerable.
  • Then I put extra things to boss. Example boss teleports every 10 sec, or his intelligence point raises every 1 second.

What do you think?

Alright, though its difficult to grade a bossfight without seeing it itself, I'll do it based on what you said.

First the normal spells. Ask yourself a few questions:
-Do these abilities fit my boss, and his attitude?
-Are these abilities repetitive through my bosses, and are just wearing a diffrent disguise?
-Do these abilities work together, and link in unison? For example, the boss casts a flamestrike on himself, immediatly followed by an infinite life drain. This drain can only be dispelled if you get right next to the boss.

If you answered yes-no-yes, then you should be in good shape. Remember, basic abilities are good, but are more helpful if they are used in Creative forms.

Now, for the phases, try approaching them in a diffrent way then what they would normally be seen as. For your example, you put the boss becomes invulnerable, and 20 summons come. Attempt putting the consequences and benefits in the users hands based on their reaction time. So, you may have runes spawn randomly and at diffrent times around the boss room that die in one hit. For every 1 second it takes to kill the rune, another summon will be added to the spawn phase. After 5 runes are dead, the boss goes invulnerable, and based on how many seconds it took to kill the runes between spawn time and death, a specific number of units will spawn.

The last extra thing, spices the boss up alot. Match that extra thing up with the boss and it will turn out well.

Seems you got a decent grasp on making boss fights. So, I wish you luck on your other 18 bosses, and hope to see them turn out well.

~Asomath

Level 37
Asomath said:
-Do these abilities fit my boss, and his attitude?
I always try to make them fit to the boss.

Asomath said:
-Are these abilities repetitive through my bosses, and are just wearing a diffrent disguise?
They are not repetive, because I always make boss cast randomly these "lesser" abilities.

Asomath said:
-Do these abilities work together, and link in unison? For example, the boss casts a flamestrike on himself, immediatly followed by an infinite life drain. This drain can only be dispelled if you get right next to the boss.
Nope, these are only just spells that boss casts randomely. If I would not put these abilities, it would be like attack + special event only. So this is like extra stuff in the boss fight.

Oh yea, I have never used those runes... I perhaps should put them in some boss battles...

Asomath said:
Seems you got a decent grasp on making boss fights. So, I wish you luck on your other 18 bosses, and hope to see them turn out well.
Yeah, thanks! I always edit old ones to make perfect boss battles.

I think, you should put to the tutorial some epic events. It would be great, beacuse then I might and others too use them in our own maps/campaigns. Epic events, I mean like:
  • Boss turns to invulnerable, ghost come, kill ghost, boss again vulnurnerable.
  • Boss turns to invulnerable and cast a deadly ball, you have to avoid it like 15 sec, then it dissapears.

Level 14
Ah I believe I did.
"Adding events and stages"
For my example I used the boss goes invulnerable, and teleports away. Then he starts flamestriking the arena, and you have to avoid the flamestrikes for a certain amount of time before he comes back.

~Asomath
P.S. JUST normal abilities are just like adding damage. You should add at least a little significance to it. For Example, if you were doing a fire boss, and had breath of fire, make it a cast time spell and deal heavy damage. Then, every time he casts it, the players have to move out of the way. Sure, its minor, but it makes the fight more interesting.

Level 37
Asomath said:
Ah I believe I did.
"Adding events and stages"
For my example I used the boss goes invulnerable, and teleports away. Then he starts flamestriking the arena, and you have to avoid the flamestrikes for a certain amount of time before he comes back.
Ah yea you did. But make some more! That's isn't enough. :p

Make a huge list different kind of events! Of course you can copy most of them from other games.

Asomath said:
P.S. JUST normal abilities are just like adding damage. You should add at least a little significance to it. For Example, if you were doing a fire boss, and had breath of fire, make it a cast time spell and deal heavy damage. Then, every time he casts it, the players have to move out of the way. Sure, its minor, but it makes the fight more interesting.
Ok, I will see what I can do.

Level 13
the bosses in Impossible Bosses are much cooler but this is also a nice way.

I do not totally agree with this. The bosses have very good looking spells and they are somewhat logical so you can almost avoid them. But it really lacks good heroe skills and the spells that bosses use are mostly extremely hard to avoid. In the end I think that map is just Using evade skill to avoid spell (no other choise), heal allies and cast spells, which doesnt really involve skill.

As for the tutorial. I find it pretty nice. The Tutorial gives nice example what the bosses should be like (even tought its really simple version of it). Flamestrike is really basic example of avoidable spell but its really up the users creativity to create a good boss. And the Videos are really nice, They tell much more than pictures would.

Level 14
Heh, I know the examples I use are simple. However, they are basically the basis of what the boses should look like when they start out. Not sure how I feel about posting a long 15-minute interesting and unique, but complex bossfight here XD

~Asomath

Level 6
On each step, make a list of what activities are included.

Like, for step 4:

-Spell interrupting
-Positioning
-Awareness of surroundings

Just something you could add, I don't know, maybe it's not that useful.

Anyways, good tutorial:)

Level 2
Hi I am new to map making, and as such my trigger-knowledge is very minimal...
I was wondering if you could explain some of the triggers you used?
Or post the map of your Level 3 Video(which is amazing, i wish i could make boss fights like that) so that i can see what kind of triggers you used.

And if not could you link me to a Boss Trigger Tutorial? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks, -Seref

Level 3
Very awesome guide. I always fall in trying to make too complicated boss fights for my mapping-skills, but this kinda makes me understand that it doesn't have to be so unique as long as it's fun. Because I see that boss-fight in your guide as a an very very fun fight :)

Hard thing for us newbies is only making those triggers and abilities to work... I for example cant figure out how that infernal is spawned there, with the animation. (I also noticed that it dies after a certain time, not to the flame strikes ;o)

Level 14
Hi I am new to map making, and as such my trigger-knowledge is very minimal...
I was wondering if you could explain some of the triggers you used?
Or post the map of your Level 3 Video(which is amazing, i wish i could make boss fights like that) so that i can see what kind of triggers you used.

And if not could you link me to a Boss Trigger Tutorial? I can't seem to find one.

Thanks, -Seref

Very awesome guide. I always fall in trying to make too complicated boss fights for my mapping-skills, but this kinda makes me understand that it doesn't have to be so unique as long as it's fun. Because I see that boss-fight in your guide as a an very very fun fight :)

Hard thing for us newbies is only making those triggers and abilities to work... I for example cant figure out how that infernal is spawned there, with the animation.

Lots of people have been asking for the triggered side to it, so sure. I will add a "Trigger Tricks" section after school.

(I also noticed that it dies after a certain time, not to the flame strikes ;o)

What may be decieving in the video is the fact that I turned off magical immunity for the Infernal. So, although he was not killed from an initial flamestrike blast, he was killed by the DoT that remained on him for a few seconds.

Thanks for Comments
~Asomath

Level 5
Lots of people have been asking for the triggered side to it, so sure. I will add a "Trigger Tricks" section after school.

Did you add a trigger part, cause i really need the triggers.
~MetalThing~

Level 2
Loved the tutorial

Loved the tutorial i look at hive regularry because everything to do with warcraft 3 facinates me after i saw your video i got back into map making and decided to spend a few days making a boss fight after i was intrigued by your firelord boss fight. Ive made my own Dark Warlock boss battle with a serious of phases set on timers however i find it incredibly hard to balance and would love to share it with you to see what you think :grin: please reply :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Great guide, but I'm one of those who don't know how to make a bossfight (making more complicated triggers to cast abilities,etc.)

But still, I liked it, +rep for you

Edit: Don't get me wrong, what I meant to say was, that the tittle mislead me, but I still found the guide very useful (repeating myself for the 3d time now, sorry..)

Level 14
Great guide, but I'm one of those who don't know how to make a bossfight (making more complicated triggers to cast abilities,etc.)

But still, I liked it, +rep for you

Edit: Don't get me wrong, what I meant to say was, that the tittle mislead me, but I still found the guide very useful (repeating myself for the 3d time now, sorry..)

Yeah I know, I've promised a trigger section for way too long now. However, I must get to Europe and refresh myself before I try anything.

~Asomath

Level 1
I can't wait for the trigger part! It's a great tutorial and when the other part is finished it will probably be the most helpful tutorial to me on this site

Level 12
Great Tut! You should force the makers of The Chosen Ones campaign to read this. Too many bosses are just sit there, exchange blows, and have more potions than the guy does health. Those are boring. I give this tutorial 4.5/5 for Awesome Videos, Not many screenshots, and well explanation without going into the boring stats part.

EDIT: oh crap! I did not see that alectreybos (can't spell his name) posted on page 2. Any ways i downloaded the campaign aboput a week ago played about three missions and got bored. The bosses were still "Bash the other guy for as long as you can and have LOTS of potions." Srry about the lazy posting though. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited:
Level 2
Wow, nice tutorial. One question, i can`t figure out how to trigger the voices. (I`m extremely pathetic at GUI) and how would i get the boss to do spells?
O-o