• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Create a sucessfull timer with window (reuploaded)

Level 10
Create a sucessfull timer with window

How to create a successfull timer

This tutorial will show you how to make a successfull timer with a proper window using GUI.

Prologue

So the tutorial is done... not even close to what I hoped it would be since it's quite simple and short. Wish I could post a tutorial on a more usable topic since anyone engaged enough in world editing can do this by him/her -self.
If any admin see this, don't waste your time with a review. Even if it would pass the test the, as I said, topic isn't very interesting or useful.
Also, this is a reupload. I made this in August (I think at least) and by that time I didn't know double posting was forbidden.
Please, forgive my acts. I was just a child.

Introduction

I've noticed when playing Battle.net games that many of the timer windows never disappear.
This may be caused by, for example, using

• Timer 1
    • Events
      • Time - Timer[1] expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Time - Destroy (Last created timer window)
In this case the destruction of a Timer[1] refers to (Last created timer window) which can be another timer, meant for resurrecting a Hero for example.
It can get very anoying to have 5 timers that says 00:00:00 blocking the sight and disables vision of other timers...
I wish to help you with this :thumbs_up:

Timers can be used in any map for any reason. Most common cases are
- Using it to show when you get your next income
- Using it to show the amount of time there is left to finish a map.
- Using it to show when the game starts.
- Using it to show when your Hero resurrects.
- Using it to show when the next creep spawning level will begin.

Dictionary

Or "words that may come in handy"

GUI Trigger
  • GUI Trigger
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
Variable
A variable is "something that can store somthing of it's kind"
(You should check out a tutorial on variables to get the idea of what they are)
If a variable was an integer, we called it "X" and it was equal to 3; X+2 would be the same as 3+2.
Or if the variable was a unit, we called it Super_Hero and it was equal to Blademaster 0001; we could use it in a map initialization:
  • Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Hero - Set Super_Hero Hero-level to 10, Hide level up graphics
(If you don't get the idea follow my advice and visit a tutorial for variables)

Using [ ]
I use [ ] to represent variables and similiar stuff which is supposed to be read as one string. Very useful when reading lots of texts.

Tutorial Start

Part One

Creating Variables

(To create a variable, go to [Trigger Editor->Variables])
37395-how-create-sucessfull-timer-variable.jpg

Create the following variables:

Timer
Timer Array
New Timer (Default)

TimerWindow
Timer Window Array
- None -

Explenations:
The first is the timer itself, which is not to be confused with the timer window.

The second is used to enable the destruction of the timer window.

Part Two

Triggers

• TheTimer Start
    • Events
      • Time - [Your event]
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Countdown Timer - Start Timer[1] as a One-shot timer that will expire in [YOUR TIME] seconds
      • Countdown Timer - Create a timer window for Timer[1] with the title [YOUR TITLE]
      • Countdown Timer - Show (Last created timer window)
      • Set TimerWindow[1] = (Last created timer window)
Now you're almost done. The only thing we need is to destroy the timer.

• TheTimer Destroy
    • Events
      • Time - Timer[1] expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Time - Destroy TimerWindow[1]
As you can see, the action destroys TimerWindow[1] - which we previously set as the window for Timer[1] - and not (LastCreatedTimer) which could destroy any timer as long as it's the last created one.

Instead of creating 2 triggers for each timer you want to make which all say that "when this trigger runs out, destroy the window for it", you can combine this into the action you want to happen when it runs out.

Example of use:
  • Hero Revive 1
    • Events
      • Time - HeroReviveTimer[1] expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Time - Destroy HeroReviveTimerWindow[1]
      • Hero - Instantly revive Hero[1] at (Center of (Hero Revive <gen>)), Show revival graphics

Credits

Thanks to Airandius for extreme review :thumbs_up:
It really helped me a lot.
Unfortunatly, since I changed the entire tutorial, you will have to do it again
If anyone catches any of his posts, please, give him +Rep.

The Very End

May seem a little fair and simple, but since many map makers still don't know how to do this I felt responsible to create a tutorial.
It's mainly for the sake of destroying the right timer window and not destroying a timer that is still running...
If any of you wonder why I changed the whole tutorial from [really advanced hero siege creep leveling] to [simple timer window tutorial], it was just for that purpose: Make it a [simple timer window tutorial] and not go too much off-topic...
I think I'll make a tutorial later on [how-to create an extreme hero siege/tower defence creep-spawning system], which was my first idea of the tutorial

P.S: This was my very first tutorial.

Happy Map-making! :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 17
I'm not a mod, but in any case I will give you a full review of your tutorial.
(Better prepare yourself.)

It's good that you tell us what this tutorial is going to do, it will help us with timers.
But you made some (minor) mistakes in your introduction:

This particular timer tutorial is mainly used for Hero Siege, possibly Tower Defence as well.
It will make the creeps spawn at the starting location of a player, if he/she/it is playing.

This is disturbing me a, timers can be used in almost every map type, so give us more examples.
A few (basic ones) are:

The main reason for you (rather low) score is because you told us wrong information.

Variable
A variable origins from math. It's originally a holder for a number, like (X=2)
In this case, variable X is equal to 2, so when calculating 2+X it would be the same as 2+2

This is incorrect, a variable is nothing more then something that can store something of it's type.
For example you are talking about an integer variable; it saves a number.
You also have real variables, they also save number but instead of 1, 2, 3 like integers they will store 1.00, 2.00, 3.00.
Some thins in the WE are saved in integers, while some are saved as reals.

Your second part about variables is correct however. Just say that variables can store anything you want for later use.
You can also use variables to store certain things (like points or groups) so you can destroy them later (to prevent leaks).

Also instead of using: 'Words that might come in handy:' call it: 'Basics:'.

#1: You use an integer to keep track of levels, however this tutorial was to show people how to proper create and remove timers from a game.
You should first tell them how to create a trigger, how they work, what they do and how to clean them properly.
I suggest you put the 'extra' part. So basically the example in the next section.
So you'll get two sections, a basic timer section and a section that gives you an example how to use it. In your case a defense.

#2: (Your example.) You don't have to create a new timer for each level, you can use a timer that keeps looping, and when that timer ends you create 'x' number on units of type 'y'.
For the units you can make an initialization trigger to store all units of each level to a variable array.
Then use an integer to increase the level.

• Initialization
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.01 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Peasant
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Footman
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Knight
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Rifleman
Can you see what I mean? This is way better then to create 50 timers for example, instead of 50 triggers you only need 2.
One to set the levels, and one to 'increase the level' + 'spawning actions' when the timer ends.
Of course you should not destroy the timer window in this case, only at the last level.

#3: Your triggers leak, please clean them. If you do not know what I'm talking about then go here.

#1: I saw a link to a picture attachment, use image tags to show your images. It might be best if you hide it with a spoiler.
- Spoilers are used like this: [ HIDDEN="<insert title here>"]<insert hidden stuff here>[/HIDDEN ] of course remove the spaces inside the brackets.
- Images tags are used like this: [ IMG]<Image URL>[/IMG ] of course remove the space at the end.
Put the image tag inside the spoiler and you can show your images on your thread, people only have to click the show button.

#2: Give your titles a nice color to them, this way new parts of your tutorial are noticed better.
Just don't spam colors.

#3: This tutorial is very simple, so the overall usefulness of this trigger is not ensured.
Not to forget that timers and their windows are a very easy part of the editor, it's usually the 'new', 'bad', 'noob' mapmakers that leave these kind of small mistakes for what they are.
Forgive for saying noobs though, but you have to agree with me. There are a lot.

#4: Add a sample map? A map can say more then a 1000 words.

#5: Use header tags.

Everybody makes mistakes, but tutorials should not have them, or at least not a lot.
Here are a few of your simple mistakes, I could have missed some though, so read your whole trigger and check for spelling and grammar.

#1:
This tutorial will show you how to make a succesfull timer window using GUI.
- Should be: 'successful'.

#2:
I have noticed when playing games online that many of the windows never dissapeared.
- Should be: 'disappeared'.

#3:
In this case it refers to (Last created timer window) which can be another timer, meant for ressurecting a hero for example, and it can get very troublesome...
- Should be: 'resurrecting'.

#4:
This particular timer tutorial is mainly used for Hero Siege, possibly Tower Defence as well.
- Should be: 'defense'. (2x)

#5:
Theese triggers will make it easy for you to create more levels to you Tower Defence or Hero Siege.
- Should be: 'these'. (2x)

#6:
I use [ ] to represent variables and 'similiar stuff which is supposed to be read as one string. Very useful when reading lots of texts.
- Should be: 'similar'.

#7:
Explenations:
The first variable is used, combined with the third, to tell the editor which timerwindow to destory later on.
- Should be: 'explanations', 'timer window' (2x) and 'destroy' (2x).

#8:
3: Change the actions wraped around comments:
- Should be: 'wrapped'.

#9:
If you examine the triggers you will see that almost everything is done automaticly
- Should be: 'automatically'.

#10:
[Timer_Window_Level[1]], beacuse it is supposed to destroy
- Should be: 'because'.

#11:
I do hope you will find the tutorial helpfull.
- Should be: 'helpful'.

Final Score:

[5.5/10] + [3/10] + [3/5] + [4/10] = [15.5/35]
15.5 / 35 = 0.4428
0.4428 x 9 + 1 = 4.9852 (Out of 10.)
A tutorial will need a minimal score of 8/10, for this reason I vote against approving at this tutorial.
Fix what I told you and your score will go up for sure, your main problem is your main tutorial part followed by your spelling.

Good Luck

~ Airandius

My way of calculating for approval is not the way moderators will do it, I just made it as accurate as I thought I could, be aware that moderators only want good tutorials.
Also: I'm not a mod, I can't approve this for you even if it scored 10/10.

Last edited:
Level 10
I'm not a mod, but in any case I will give you a full review of your tutorial.
(Better prepare yourself.)

It's good that you tell us what this tutorial is going to do, it will help us with timers.
But you made some (minor) mistakes in your introduction:

This is disturbing me a, timers can be used in almost every map type, so give us more examples.
A few (basic ones) are:

The main reason for you (rather low) score is because you told us wrong information.

This is incorrect, a variable is nothing more then something that can store something of it's type.
For example you are talking about an integer variable; it saves a number.
You also have real variables, they also save number but instead of 1, 2, 3 like integers they will store 1.00, 2.00, 3.00.
Some thins in the WE are saved in integers, while some are saved as reals.

Your second part about variables is correct however. Just say that variables can store anything you want for later use.
You can also use variables to store certain things (like points or groups) so you can destroy them later (to prevent leaks).

Also instead of using: 'Words that might come in handy:' call it: 'Basics:'.

#1: You use an integer to keep track of levels, however this tutorial was to show people how to proper create and remove timers from a game.
You should first tell them how to create a trigger, how they work, what they do and how to clean them properly.
I suggest you put the 'extra' part. So basically the example in the next section.
So you'll get two sections, a basic timer section and a section that gives you an example how to use it. In your case a defense.

#2: (Your example.) You don't have to create a new timer for each level, you can use a timer that keeps looping, and when that timer ends you create 'x' number on units of type 'y'.
For the units you can make an initialization trigger to store all units of each level to a variable array.
Then use an integer to increase the level.

• Initialization
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.01 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Peasant
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Footman
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Knight
      • Set UnitTypeVar[1] = Rifleman
Can you see what I mean? This is way better then to create 50 timers for example, instead of 50 triggers you only need 2.
One to set the levels, and one to 'increase the level' + 'spawning actions' when the timer ends.
Of course you should not destroy the timer window in this case, only at the last level.

#3: Your triggers leak, please clean them. If you do not know what I'm talking about then go here.

#1: I saw a link to a picture attachment, use image tags to show your images. It might be best if you hide it with a spoiler.
- Spoilers are used like this: [ HIDDEN="<insert title here>"]<insert hidden stuff here>[/HIDDEN ] of course remove the spaces inside the brackets.
- Images tags are used like this: [ IMG]<Image URL>[/IMG ] of course remove the space at the end.
Put the image tag inside the spoiler and you can show your images on your thread, people only have to click the show button.

#2: Give your titles a nice color to them, this way new parts of your tutorial are noticed better.
Just don't spam colors.

#3: This tutorial is very simple, so the overall usefulness of this trigger is not ensured.
Not to forget that timers and their windows are a very easy part of the editor, it's usually the 'new', 'bad', 'noob' mapmakers that leave these kind of small mistakes for what they are.
Forgive for saying noobs though, but you have to agree with me. There are a lot.

#4: Add a sample map? A map can say more then a 1000 words.

#5: Use header tags.

Everybody makes mistakes, but tutorials should not have them, or at least not a lot.
Here are a few of your simple mistakes, I could have missed some though, so read your whole trigger and check for spelling and grammar.

#1:
- Should be: 'successful'.

#2:
- Should be: 'disappeared'.

#3:
- Should be: 'resurrecting'.

#4:
- Should be: 'defense'. (2x)

#5:
- Should be: 'these'. (2x)

#6:
- Should be: 'similar'.

#7:
- Should be: 'explanations', 'timer window' (2x) and 'destroy' (2x).

#8:
- Should be: 'wrapped'.

#9:
- Should be: 'automatically'.

#10:
- Should be: 'because'.

#11:
- Should be: 'helpful'.

Final Score:

[5.5/10] + [3/10] + [3/5] + [4/10] = [15.5/35]
15.5 / 35 = 0.4428
0.4428 x 9 + 1 = 4.9852 (Out of 10.)
A tutorial will need a minimal score of 8/10, for this reason I vote against approving at this tutorial.
Fix what I told you and your score will go up for sure, your main problem is your main tutorial part followed by your spelling.

Good Luck

~ Airandius

My way of calculating for approval is not the way moderators will do it, I just made it as accurate as I thought I could, be aware that moderators only want good tutorials.
Also: I'm not a mod, I can't approve this for you even if it scored 10/10.

Haha great feedback I'll work on this tomorrow if I get the time :thumbs_up:
+Rep to you :grin:
I will also put you on teh credits list if I remember :thumbs_up:

Level 10
They're tags you should use for your headers.

Also, merge your posts. Double posting is against the rules.

And what are headers? xD (Seriously I don't know squat about this site)
And, yes, I will remove the first post. The first post was to get people to notice my tutorial. At that time I didn't know I could just Edit my post and post it again.

And what are headers? xD (Seriously I don't know squat about this site)
And, yes, I will remove the first post. The first post was to get people to notice my tutorial. At that time I didn't know I could just Edit my post and post it again.

h1

h2

h3

Use them for titles for sections and stuff.

Level 10
Nope, but it's fun to give scores so that the maker knows how good/bad his was. :p
Lol, do I see a new smilie? :mwahaha:

Anyway, the tutorial should be fixed a bit, good luck with it. ^^

Haha thanks for the luck.
You're welcome any time to give this tutorial a score, it's just great feedback :thumbs_up:
Now I'll get started with fixing all my faults and 'typos' :grin:

Level 18
Well im a noobie guy so, please! tell me, what is the array number i should have?

please tell me hoho

Lol old thread.
Thanks, it was written a while back and my English - though it's not perfect yet - has been improved since then.

Topic should be closed.
please tell me the arrays, i dunno much, still 2 months of making maps, thought i created 2 maps! i dunno how to use variables to much plzz tel meeee:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
Array is like... a variable with a number.
Instead of making 3 variables (say integers) named Int1 Int2 Int3, you make 1 integer array and then use Int[1] Int[2] Int[3].
what is the array number i should have?
Just leave this blank, it has little affect on anything.

Give me more specific questions that I might help you.

Level 18
Array is like... a variable with a number.
Instead of making 3 variables (say integers) named Int1 Int2 Int3, you make 1 integer array and then use Int[1] Int[2] Int[3].
what is the array number i should have?
Just leave this blank, it has little affect on anything.

Give me more specific questions that I might help you.

i still dun get it, with numbers, player groups are in variable, and somthing in , ack, just TEll me how to use variableee!!

Thankyou very much

Level 18
I can't just TEll you how to use the variableee, because I don't understand your problem.

My prob is that i cannot use such like, if there are 8 elfs, 8 of them killed by the hunter, and i want all of the lose using one trigger,( the losing one equals the elfs)

but if i didnot use any variables then if there are no player playing in the Hunter or the Elfs i dunno what to do!

Thankyou juz tell me what to do

Level 3
I used arrays for each hero respawn timer, like one hero died it would be Timer[1], blue would have Timer[2] but for some reason the timers dont have a count down and do not disappear, only the first one.
EDIT: Stupid me, i forgot to increase the array to timer[10] from timer[1] size :p

Last edited:
Level 3
old post i know but what the f is Time- [your event] ?? like all you have to pick on is time elapsed, time periodic event and time expires.

should it be a variable there?
or what should i pick in event?