• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Could we please remove the requirement of writting a comment whenever rating a model?

We put the system in place so that people have to post to rate.
We had a lot of issues people downrating good resources on mass as revenge or just to be nasty.

In your case, you can always make your post be constructive and rate it low or you can simply not comment and rate it.

As for now, this system will stay.

Last edited:
Level 50
If you are concerned about sounding rude, consider simply thanking the user for the upload (e.g. "Thanks for creating/sharing this model"); it's never out of place & applies whether it's great or ""substandard"".
I don’t agree. Giving a resource 2 star rating alongside with generic one liner ’’thanks for sharing’’ and no extra explanation is even ruder. At one hand you indicate something is bad about resource, but on the other you don’t care to write what.

If you are giving low score to a resource, you really should explain why.

Level 5
I prefer the idea of people having to comment when they rate things. This way other people can tell if the person is just being a mule or actually if there is something wrong with the model.

I prefer the idea of people having to comment when they rate things. This way other people can tell if the person is just being a mule or actually if there is something wrong with the model.
The main reason Hive added a mandatory comment is to prevent the mass downrating of resources.
Trust me you don't want to remove hundreds of bad ratings, just because someone is jealous, angry or otherwise had a bad day and want other people to feel as miserable as they do.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I don’t agree. Giving a resource 2 star rating alongside with generic one liner ’’thanks for sharing’’ and no extra explanation is even ruder. At one hand you indicate something is bad about resource, but on the other you don’t care to write what.
It's confusing at best; may be mistaken for sarcasm (but this can be averted by a further comment, or an emoji in the primary comment). I don't think it's inherently rude; if the poster means it sincerely it's not their fault if the creator is of a more-cynical mindset.

Murlocologist said:
If you are giving low score to a resource, you really should explain why.
I know as a creator I definitely would prefer people explain a low score, and as a moderator I would appreciate better communication for community-building. But I'm not sure I can agree that it should be required.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's confusing at best; may be mistaken for sarcasm (but this can be averted by a further comment, or an emoji in the primary comment). I don't think it's inherently rude; if the poster means it sincerely it's not their fault if the creator is of a more-cynical mindset.
While I agree with the way things could get interpreted, why wouldn't we strive for no need for interpretation at all? If everyone would be explanatory even if in few words, why not?